Grover Is Really Sick - Another Change

Trisven13

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so bloody relieved - was scared to pop in again!

Ditto! I've been popping in regularly for news, but had to steel myself beforehand every time. Such wonderful, wonderful news that he's home and feeling a bit more like himself!

me too, I was almost too scared to to open the thread, but SOOOO glad Grover is feeling Better ;)

Ditto! I've been popping in regularly for news, but had to steel myself beforehand every time. Such wonderful, wonderful news that he's home and feeling a bit more like himself!

me too, I was almost too scared to to open the thread, but SOOOO glad Grover is feeling Better :)

;) Ditto

me too, I was almost too scared to to open the thread, but SOOOO glad Grover is feeling Better ;)

Trust me everyone :) I understand completely what you're saying. I had nightmares all night last night and was so frightened to make the first phone call to the vet this morning. I can't believe that last night we were preparing ourselves to lose him and tonight he is a bloody nuisance. :D :D

Are you all as sick of this as me? He has got flat again. We rang the vet and have moved him on her advice into our bedroom out of his crate. She thinks that he is maybe having an allergic reaction to something in our environment. I can't work out what so can you guys all help me with suggestions? He makes a terrible noise - a mix of coughing/vomitting/growling noise at times but mainly when he is touched. This is the same noise he made when he came home the first time but hadn't done it once he got home this time. Jana sent him home because she is not open tomorrow and she felt that given he was so much better he would be better at home than in the surgery on his own.

Grover is predominantly either outside in the backyard or inside in the loungeroom. Prior to being sick on Christmas Day he slept in his crate which was a C-Crate we bought second-hand from Rebanne on a piece of 19mm plywood with a piece of 19mm plywood on top to stop him walking around the house in his crate at night. We put the plywood addition on around September of this year. In around October we put a new lino sheet floor down in the loungeroom. We haven't used any new cleaners. We have a few new candles in a jar we've been burning - one is lemongrass but that hasn't been used since before he was sick, one is apple pie and the other is mistletoe. The mistletoe one has had the biggest workout since Christmas Day.

Our backyard isn't pretty but absolutely NOTHING has changed in it for over 6 months other than some sugar-cane mulch in one garden bed.

We have now moved him into our bedroom but he won't settle and he doesn't look like the happy, prancing boy we bought home 4 hours ago.

Jana's theory is that he must be allergic to something in our house and that it is something that he has built up an allergy to - what could it be? My thoughts are that it is most likely something to do with his crate as he is in that every night and for periods during the day, most particularly he has been in it a lot each time he has come home so that he would rest. Has anyone EVER heard of a dog having an allergy to a floor, or plywood, or a c-crate?????/ :thumbsup::laugh::party: :party: :(:) :)

ETA - just thought - Daphne is in season and has been since Christmas Day when he first got sick? Could he possibly be allergic to Daphne?????

Edited by Trisven13

Aaahh Trish, I was just about to offer congratulations.

I have no idea. Could there be a chemical treatment in the plywood? ARe you using any new treatments in the home for fleas, flies, bugs etc?

Loungeroom - what are you using to cool the room? AC? Maybe there's something in that (like Legionnaires?) What did you use to heat the room? Any stale heating stuff around?

Crate? Any changes to bedding? Have you washed bedding in a new soap? New toys?

Sorry, these are all pretty obvious & I bet you've already excluded them, just thinking out loud now

Is the ply made out of treated pine?????????????????

IF it has been treated with that chrome arsenate- that may be what is making him so ill....

just a thought.

years ago , a lady brought her lab youngster into our vet... flat as a tack.. needed a drip, looked awful... can't remember teh details...

he picked up, so we sent him home.

Came back a couple days later.....

repeat.

Finally we worked out that yey had put pine lattice across the back door- and he had chewed it!

I know- your boy has not chewed his crate, I'm sure.... but.... I have this phobia about treated pine ....

Do you use any of those 24 hr spray things which dispenses air freshener or insect spray?

has he been lying in the sugar cane mulch?

lord- it could be ANYTHING :thumbsup:

Aaahh Trish, I was just about to offer congratulations.

I have no idea. Could there be a chemical treatment in the plywood?

Always possible - it was bought from Bunnings. We can toss it and buy something else, though we do need something on top of his crate to stop him walking it at night.

ARe you using any new treatments in the home for fleas, flies, bugs etc?

No - same as always

Loungeroom - what are you using to cool the room? AC? Maybe there's something in that (like Legionnaires?)

A/C is evaporative - Steve is a fridgie so I will ask him about that but I thought legionnaires was from refrigerated AC.

What did you use to heat the room?

Ducted gas-heating - haven't used it for a couple of months.

Any stale heating stuff around?

Not sure what you mean?

Crate? Any changes to bedding? Have you washed bedding in a new soap? New toys?

Bedding is changed every 3-7 days and is just recycled between washes. Nothing new at all. No new washing powder, no new toys. All his bones were thrown out yesterday.

Sorry, these are all pretty obvious & I bet you've already excluded them, just thinking out loud now

Don't worry - keep thinking.... I need to try to work out what it might be.

Is the ply made out of treated pine?????????????????

IF it has been treated with that chrome arsenate- that may be what is making him so ill....

just a thought.

years ago , a lady brought her lab youngster into our vet... flat as a tack.. needed a drip, looked awful... can't remember teh details...

he picked up, so we sent him home.

Came back a couple days later.....

repeat.

Finally we worked out that yey had put pine lattice across the back door- and he had chewed it!

I know- your boy has not chewed his crate, I'm sure.... but.... I have this phobia about treated pine ....

He hasn't chewed it but that could be a possibility of course. We can easily ditch and replace with something else - thought it has been there since September?????

Do you use any of those 24 hr spray things which dispenses air freshener or insect spray?

Nup - only the candles that I mentioned.

has he been lying in the sugar cane mulch?

Nah - its too pokey

lord- it could be ANYTHING :thumbsup: