Grover Is Really Sick - Another Change

Trisven13

Any weed poisoning going on? Any plant nutrition/supplements added in the last few days? Snail bait? Mouse/rat bait? Citrus food? Blood & bone?

Has he eaten tinsel off the Xmas tree? Has he eaten any part of the Xmas tree (if you've got a real one - it could have been treated in some way).

Using a new furniture polish / cleaner? Fabric cleaner / spray?

Sorry, I know these are obvious, but maybe it might be something simple that's been missed, so I'll keep adding anything I can think of

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could any mould have sprung up anywhere following recent rain/ hot weather?

What plants in your/ your neighbours backyards are in flower? Houseplants?

Any unusual mowing activity, council/ neighbour etc. weed spraying recently?

Any new landscaping around?

Have any neighbours had a pest exterminator in recently, used a flea bomb?

Any unusual wind directions blowing things in from unusual directions?

Have any family members changed perfume, aftershave, soap, dishwashing detergent or other cleaning products?

ie anything unusual recently?

edit - if you're thinking of replacing the plywood roof maybe look at lazerlite sheeting. It should (hopefully) be completely allergy free.

Edited by MrLC

Certainly treated wood could be suspect, I think those kinds of poisions have a build-up effect in the body, like arsenic which takes time to build up when given in small doses (ref: Arsenic and Old Lace).

He might not chew it but could be licking it? Or licking himself where his body has contact with it. I was thinking maybe the glue in it, but if it has been treated then that would be more obvious.

Here is a couple of quick web grabs.

arsenic /ar·se·nic/ (As) (ahr´sĕ-nik) a nonmetallic chemical element, at. no. 33. Acute arsenic poisoning may result in shock and death, with skin rashes, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, muscular cramps, and swelling of the eyelids, feet, and hands; the chronic form, due to ingestion of small amounts of arsenic over long periods, is marked by skin pigmentation accompanied by scaling, hyperkeratosis of palms and soles, transverse lines on the fingernails, headache, peripheral neuropathy, and confusion.

wood preservative

substances used as dressing for lumber to protect it against mold, insects, pests, fire, etc. Animals housed in pens made of wood which has been treated with wood preservatives may be poisoned by these compounds if they chew the wood. Chlorinated phenols, chlorinated naphthalenes, copper-chrome-arsenate mixture, coal tar creosote and other coal tar preparations are some of the compounds used which are potentially toxic.

http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionar...od+preservative

http://curriculum.toxicology.wikispaces.net/2.2.6.1+Arsenic

Any weed poisoning going on?

Yes but we have been doing that intermitently over the last 3-4 months but mainly in the front yard and nothing (until today) for about 4 weeks.

Any plant nutrition/supplements added in the last few days? Snail bait? Mouse/rat bait? Citrus food? Blood & bone?

No to all of those

Has he eaten tinsel off the Xmas tree? Has he eaten any part of the Xmas tree (if you've got a real one - it could have been treated in some way).

Christmas Tree was only up for 36 hours as we have cats who climb it - it goes up on Christmas Eve for Santa to put presents under and is packed back up on Boxing Day. It is plastic and he had very limited access to it - not aware that he ate anything.

Using a new furniture polish / cleaner? Fabric cleaner / spray?

No

Sorry, I know these are obvious, but maybe it might be something simple that's been missed, so I'll keep adding anything I can think of

Please keep adding.

Sugar cane mulch could have some chemical in it from Agricultural spraying and it is sweet. We got rid of it, because one of our horses was eating it and I wasn't sure.............Pulling at straws here. So sad he is not well again. Hope you find the culprit

Could any mould have sprung up anywhere following recent rain/ hot weather?

Nah - its been dry more than anything - wetter than the last few years but we are still officially in drought as far as I'm aware.

What plants in your/ your neighbours backyards are in flower? Houseplants?

No houseplants, geraniums are in flower, daisies, gazanias, roses. No idea about one neighbour's yard, the other neighbour has a tree flowering whose name has escaped me, but it is quite a common one. It has flowers before it has leaves - they're all out at the moment.

Any unusual mowing activity, council/ neighbour etc. weed spraying recently?

Not that I'm aware of.

Any new landscaping around?

Not that I'm aware of.

Have any neighbours had a pest exterminator in recently, used a flea bomb?

Not that I'm aware of.

Any unusual wind directions blowing things in from unusual directions?

Nothing out of the ordinary. Fire in Gerogery approx a week before Christmas, Gerogery is approx 20km from our house.

Have any family members changed perfume, aftershave, soap, dishwashing detergent or other cleaning products?

ie anything unusual recently?

No.

edit - if you're thinking of replacing the plywood roof maybe look at lazerlite sheeting. It should (hopefully) be completely allergy free.

Okay will do - can we pick that up at places like Bunnings?

Certainly treated wood could be suspect, I think those kinds of poisions have a build-up effect in the body, like arsenic which takes time to build up when given in small doses (ref: Arsenic and Old Lace).

He might not chew it but could be licking it? Or licking himself where his body has contact with it. I was thinking maybe the glue in it, but if it has been treated then that would be more obvious.

Here is a couple of quick web grabs.

arsenic /ar·se·nic/ (As) (ahr´sĕ-nik) a nonmetallic chemical element, at. no. 33. Acute arsenic poisoning may result in shock and death, with skin rashes, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, muscular cramps, and swelling of the eyelids, feet, and hands; the chronic form, due to ingestion of small amounts of arsenic over long periods, is marked by skin pigmentation accompanied by scaling, hyperkeratosis of palms and soles, transverse lines on the fingernails, headache, peripheral neuropathy, and confusion.

wood preservative

substances used as dressing for lumber to protect it against mold, insects, pests, fire, etc. Animals housed in pens made of wood which has been treated with wood preservatives may be poisoned by these compounds if they chew the wood. Chlorinated phenols, chlorinated naphthalenes, copper-chrome-arsenate mixture, coal tar creosote and other coal tar preparations are some of the compounds used which are potentially toxic.

http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionar...od+preservative

http://curriculum.toxicology.wikispaces.net/2.2.6.1+Arsenic

Will definitely get rid of the plywood. At least then I know that is gone.

Are you able to house him OUT of that crate for 24 hrs? Just see if it makes any difference at all...

he may have a cumulative loading, which just needs a slight amount breathed in, or absorbed thru his pads.....

all conjecture, of course...

Yep and that is what we're doing now. :thumbsup:

Are you able to house him OUT of that crate for 24 hrs? Just see if it makes any difference at all...

he may have a cumulative loading, which just needs a slight amount breathed in, or absorbed thru his pads.....

I support that suggestion, it would be a good thing to eliminate in my opinion, and good you suggested the plywood as suspect in the first place Persephone.

Tris, perhaps if you can ring your Vet tomorrow, or a Duty Vet somewhere, or a Poisions Information Centre and see if you can get more information on the effects of treated wood.

If it is arsenic or chromium arsenic I think that can be tested for with a blood test, so you should be able to isolate that.

the other is mistletoe. The mistletoe one has had the biggest workout since Christmas Day.

Mistletoe is on the list of poisionous plants - maybe its the candle

Just remembered that I didn't buy it until 27 December so it can't have been the initial cause so I think that is safely off the list.

I support that suggestion, it would be a good thing to eliminate in my opinion, and good you suggested the plywood as suspect in the first place Persephone.

Tris, perhaps if you can ring your Vet tomorrow, or a Duty Vet somewhere, or a Poisions Information Centre and see if you can get more information on the effects of treated wood.

If it is arsenic or chromium arsenic I think that can be tested for with a blood test, so you should be able to isolate that.

Yep - when I spoke with poor Jana earlier she said to immediately take him out of the crate as that seems to be causing it. I don't think it could be the floor as he was previously sleeping on the bottom piece of plywood. If it is the C-Crate itself he'll have to learn to sleep without his crate (he has always loved his crate).

So - if he gets better again outside of the crate then do we try the C-Crate without the plywood first or do we just give up on it all together?

I do remember an email going around - something christmassy from china it was pot pourri or gift soap, something commonly around this time of year. Dogs were eating it an getting violently ill.

Sorry, bit sketchy on the details but will google. :thumbsup:

eta it was potpourri from India and the poison was strychnine.

Edited by Powerlegs

great news Trish. They could never really say what happened to Piper either and he had a massive temp and was put into a coma to help him through. They thought his brain might turn into mush but it didn't. Well not too much :thumbsup:

What is it with these big doofus dogs that get under our skin so completely

oops didn't read the whole thing before I posted

Edited by Rebanne

great news Trish. They could never really say what happened to Piper either and he had a very low temp and was put into a coma to help him through. They thought his brain might turn into mush but it didn't. Well not too much :thumbsup:

What is it with these big doofus dogs that get under our skin so completely

When I first started breeding cats a friend lost most of a litter of kittens when they first started running around which is highly unusual. After lots of investigation, the vet discovered that the pine wood used in their enclosure had some of the chemical used to treat pine on it. They could only surmise that somewhere the untreated wood had lent against some treated pine.

They used a sealer to seal the plywood and didn't have any more problems, thankfully.

I have been following this thread since Christmas Day and hope you find the cause and Grover is back to himself very soon.

I can't see it being the crate Trish. The metal would be inert.

What bedding does he have in the crate? I think the wood does sound like the most likely culprit, as it is both above and beneath him in the crate.

He might also be going downhill a little because he's not being hydrated via the drip.

I would eliminate everything that it could possibly be - regardless of date purchased. Allergic or intolerant reactions can occur very suddenly out-of-the-blue. Both my Mum and Granny could eat shellfish until the age of about 25 - then they both almost died from eating a prawn. My Gran can't even eat something that has been prepared with a knife that has touched shellfish (ie it has gotten worse with age).

I'd ditch all the cleaning chemicals bar dishwashing liquid and make friends with vinegar and bicarb.