Large Straining Dog (march Update)

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awww but CavnRott/RnL - I HATE dentists. I'd rather tear my own head off than see a dentist - really I would!!! :laugh:

Oh, I truly understand your fear of dentists. When I have a dental appointment fear keeps me awake for most of the night before...and this is just for a scale and clean. :thumbsup:

Every time I visit the dentist I remind him of my fear and he tells me I'm an easy patient because I remain perfectly still. Of course I do! I'm too terrified to move a muscle.

I've been going to the same dentist for 12 years. I've had major work done such as crowns, root canals due to an abscess etc., This dentist has never caused me any pain at all. It doesn't stop my irrational fear though.

You must go. Without dental treatment the root of the loose tooth could die, then you'll really be in trouble and you stand a good chance of losing the tooth. Dentistry really is painless these days.

Trust me :laugh: Having it fixed won't hurt anything like it did when Buddy knocked it loose.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's the latest on Buddy for those who have taken an interest :rofl:

I gave my Easywalk harness to his owner about a week ago and since then I've been pretty busy so I couldn't do anything with Buddy. Anyway, today "Sam" dropped by my house and while we were having a coffee and goss she asked me what I was doing later - I asked why and she said "I really want to walk Buddy but I wondered if you could come with me".

If you knew - or have got the gist - of how this woman usually behaves this is a MAJOR step forward for her and for Buddy.

So of course I said yes!!! But when I got to her place she told me she'd already taken him for a walk all the way to the school!!! OMG!! :laugh: That stunned me. She was happily prattling on about how he pulled a bit but he was sort of okay and how he stopped to say hello to some kids and half licked them to death over the fence and whatnot.

But wait there's more!!! LOL

THEN I ask her how she went with putting the harness on and it turned out she'd put it on wrong so the attachment was on Buddy's back instead of at his front!!!!

I was flabbergasted!! I told her if she could walk him with the harness like that she will have NO PROBLEMS walking him with it the right way round. :laugh: And no wonder he "pulled a bit" LMAO

So I told her to go get him again and we'd walk him with it the right way round. I swear he was still so excited and hyper it took nearly half an hour just to get the thing on him and properly fitted. He really is a HUGE silly puppy. He looks just like a bear - but on speed!! He's huge (not tall but chunky as) but a completely silly gorgeous friendly goofball. Unfortunately he leaps up at people and that is very dangerous with a dog that big (as I can attest to!!) - I kept my face well away from his head.

Once we had it on him properly we took him out onto the recreation ground and he was so unbelievable EASY to walk. It was magic to watch, it really was. Then she got her brother to walk him and there she was telling him all the stuff I'd explained to her about how to walk and train him with the harness.

I nearly felt like crying it was so brilliant to see - they are BOTH going to take him for walks now that they feel they can control him.

Next step - teaching him NOT to jump up (no more letting kids pat him when he's jumped up at the fence) and to sit when he's asked. He will do it - this big fella really wants to please and be loved.

I'm so happy for him :laugh: ;) :laugh:

Edited by spottychick

LOL Yep - although from what I understand Buddy would have thought he SHOULD pull on a harness clipping at the back LMAO so she did well to manage him with it like that!!

And I reckon well done to "Sam". I'm really proud of her attitude - it may seem like she's neglectful and a "bad mother" but there's this core of her that really wants to do the right thing for him. I told her off later in the day because she let Buddy inside for the first time and he, not surprisingly, pretty much peed inside straight away - only a little to mark his territory.

Anyway - she screamed at him, hit him and went to kick him - but I stopped her. I went over to Buddy who was trying to escape and patted him and calmed him down. Then I spent about 30 minutes going back over what I'd taught her previously about how to treat Buddy - no yelling, hitting etc because he panics and all he gets is fear not understanding of what she wants. I explained what I would have done (ideally anyway LOL I'm not always brilliant myself :laugh:)- and pointed out that she didn't take him outside to show him that's what she wanted him to do and that he can't just "get it" if she doesn't calmly "explain" what he did wrong and what the right thing to do would be.

Anyway - After a while I said "sorry if I seem to be constantly nagging you" and she THANKED me and said "No no!! I do really want to learn so it's great that you do this and I'm sorry I'm so thick - I just keep forgetting". She was brought up in a rough environment and what she sometimes does might horrify some, but what I admire is that I feel a genuine desire from her to change and learn. Like Buddy, she won't get it overnight, but to me the fantastic thing is she is TRYING very hard to overcome all her upbringing/learned behaviour and do the right thing - just for Buddy.

So :laugh: ;) "Sam" I reckon :laugh:

This sentence: She was brought up in a rough environment, put this sentence in perspective for me: she screamed at him, hit him and went to kick him. My first reaction was one of shock and horror and then when I finished the second paragraph, I only had pity that treating an animal like that was all she'd known.

Handclaps and standing ovations to you, Spottychick, for your Buddy intervention, dog-owner education efforts and (seemingly infinite) patience! You have effected a significant transformation and I think that the knowledge you have given to those two individuals is bound to spread to others. :laugh:

Any chance of snapping a photo of the lovely boy so we can put a face to him?

Edited by Ms Genki

yay! Another happy instalment in the Buddy saga :laugh:

I really want to see a photo too as at the moment I imagine he is so much like our new dog. Sounds the same in looks and temperament.

Also, although she went a bit crazy at him, its really good that she was willing to have a go at having him inside!

I'm not a weakling but I'm also not very big and I know he can pull me off my feet very easily.

OMG Spottychick.

I sincerely hope that your heart can fit into your "not very big" bod. It (your heart) seems awfully huge to me :D

BTW

I've also found this in your posts "this is of course not including the mad beast we've just adopted!!!". Surely you do not mean Mr Spotty Tango! He is the "darlink" of this household, so many similiar experiences here. He is the beloved one ;) hehe

Edited by Anna

I'm not a weakling but I'm also not very big and I know he can pull me off my feet very easily.

OMG Spottychick.

I sincerely hope that your heart can fit into your "not very big" bod. It (your heart) seems awfully huge to me :D

BTW

I've also found this in your posts "this is of course not including the mad beast we've just adopted!!!". Surely you do not mean Mr Spotty Tango! He is the "darlink" of this household, so many similiar experiences here. He is the beloved one ;) hehe

awwww what a lovely thing to say! :D

Yeah dear Mr Tango is getting less "mad" every day :) *chuckle* @ "the beloved one" :)

Jigsaw - I hope it does spill over - but I reckon it's bound to. It's all about respect to me :p

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately it looks like Buddy is going to be surrendered. Apparently they let him off his chain for a rare time in the main yard with them and he killed a chicken (of course he did. They are wandering around in the yard and he's over-excited!). WHen I went there today 'Sam' was talking about taking him to the RSPCA. I managed to convince her (I think) to take him to the Tassie Dogs Home instead where he's more likely to live (even tho it's much further away) and be rehomed.

I think someone mentioned they know a lady from the Hobart branch of TDH who might be interested in helping Buddy.... was that Aiden??? I suppose I better go back and plow through all the posts/threads again and find out.

Meanwhile if anyone is in Tas and are interested in this fella please PM me.

I'm going to make another attempt to get a pic of him or two.

I feel very sad that I wasn't able to get this woman involved enough with Buddy's training etc to avoid ending up with him being surrendered but another part of me thinks this was never going to improve. I am not staying in this town much longer so without me here nagging her I doubt he would get walked.