Dog Gave Me A Heart Attack!

I get home from new years Friday morning and Loki comes happily up to greet me, tail wagging. This would be more appreiciated if it didnt occur in the middle of the road at 3 in the morning :D Some how the little bugger had gotten out. I have no idea how or for how long. It's a miracle nothing happened to him and he hung aroung the street. So this is my introduction to the new year.....

Then today I am at work and the guy two houses down comes into my work to say my dog was loose and he put him back in the yard! Again!!! So I race home and its the other dog this time. My yard is nearly impossible to break out of. The only weak point is a corner with a piece of tin covering a small hole which I found had been moved. But it was still firmly in place the day before when Loki got out so I have no idea how he escaped. I am so glad my near neighbour found Wylie roaming before something bad happened to him. Now I'm paranoid they will get out again ;) I have searched the yard and cant see how Loki got out. I really hope no one has let them loose. Might be time for a padlock on my gate.

I didnt want this year to start with the dogs giving me grey hairs........

It is such "heart in mouth" stuff. I rounded the corner of my street walking a few of the dogs and saw a little Maltese up the street near my driveway. It was Nilla and I have absolutely no idea how she got out. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Happy New Year and don't worry about the grey hairs. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

ah oh - I hope she isn't an escape artist like my old maltese RIP. no matter what I did she always managed to get out.

CBG might be a good idea to go out the front and wait awhile and see what happens, might indicate where the dogs are getting out. sounds like you have a lovely neighour ;)

Might be time for a padlock on my gate.

You dont padlock your gate :thumbsup:

Agree - you dont padlock the gate?

You would be amazed at how many people dont lock their gates, most of the pet sitting jobs i do, i access the house via the back gate, that is never locked!

Just a suggestion... I put up tomato stakes around the fence at our last house to see where Daisy was getting out and then would check when I got home which ones had moved. She was pushing aside a loose pailing that I had no idea was loose until I noticed that the stake in front of it had been pushed over. It was then an easy fix and she never got out again.

Good Luck, they can be tricky buggers.

It is tricky. I have lived here for about 5 years and they havent busted out yet. (well, Loki got out once when another dog dug under the fence) Its mainly concrete around the fence line so I only have three weak points. All are secure :thumbsup: I tried going out the front and calling them but they just stood at the gate grinning at me. Why is it so weird that I dont lock the gate? Its not that dodgy around here and my neighbours are usually home all day. I did think about locking it when I moved in to stop anyone stealing the dogs but soon got sick of unlocking it all the time :thumbsup:

Just got back from walking them and Wylie was worn out before we started. Looks like someone had enjoyed himself today. He has rolled in poo somewhere too :thumbsup: .

Aha! Found it :thumbsup: . Was sitting here and realised they were in the front yard again so I chucked them back and they obligingly went straight back to the hole. It was the one weal point I checked already. They are pulling the tin over and squeezing through. It took them 5 years to figure this out??? Not the brightest sparks these dogs :thumbsup: Now I need to find a way to prevent them from doing it.

years ago I had an Irish Setter bitch who would walk the fence line and push every paling with her head till she would find one that was loose :o

she would do it for a few weeks then stop for a month or so then start all over again, would drive me crazy, as she did find a loose one every now and then, before I did. LOL

Cheeky bugger and who says they arnt smart lol

escape artists perfecting the techniques....

maybe try some stakes hammered down along the fence edge - holding the tin against the fence

or some strong bird wire bent at right angles..... up the fence and then down along the ground

good luck

h

escape artists perfecting the techniques....

or some strong bird wire bent at right angles..... up the fence and then down along the ground.

h

That's a great idea. And make sure the section along the ground is well pinned down, so it also prevents digging close to the fenceline.

Dogs can be like Houdini. My little tibbie was getting out from front yard, despite 6 ft high fences & gates.....no holes under either, only cement.

I went out on the footpath with a smacko & called her. Lo & behold, she flattened herself, the way a cat goes boneless & wriggled under the tiny space between the bottom of the gate & the cement driveway. No way, you'd ever think, looking at this tiny gap, that a fat little tibbie could get under it.

From then on, she was kept firmly in the backyard behind the sturdy side fences.

Edited by mita

Guest Willow

What you need...what you really need, is a Jayco....ho hum...too bad there is only one :rofl:

*skips away merrily after contributing nothing constructive to the thread*

* Mutters "I'll get you yet, my pretty little Jayco" * Actually, a cat on the other side of the fence would stop them. They are scared of cats :rofl: Fence is tin and its set in concrete. No way of staking anything. But the bricks have worked. Which they should have because I used heaps. Day three, dogs are both still in the yard. I cant believe it has taken all these years for them to discover this way out...

Guest Willow
* Mutters "I'll get you yet, my pretty little Jayco" *

:laugh:

I remember having one of those heart stopping moments when I was walking home to be met in the street by my foster dog....the foster dog who had been locked inside the house with no windows or doors open :rofl:

My dogs getting out is one of my worst nightmares as one of them is blind . I make sure that every morning before i go to work when im doing my poo rounds and saying my hellos etc that i do a run of fences and gates and make sure everything is how it should be - cause you just never know what may happen .