Why Exactly Is Commercial Dog Food

~Shepherd~

I guess because a lot of humans would not normally eat the 'bits' of animals which are cooked up - so as it's not the normal cuts- it's not for human consumption? :laugh:

I work in a meat works and believe me, humans waste very very little of the offal and meat in a bovine. In fact it you would be very surprised what gets consumed.

I know of a few people who eat the heart, liver, kidneys. In fact I am sure lots of people do.

Same here I worked at a pork abattoir and the bits people would eat would make me quite ill, I used to have to micro test the bits as they were for export, lets just say if you go to a restaurant in Singapore and ask for pork make sure you specify what bit of the pig you want to eat! :laugh:

A lot of the condemned pigs would go straight to the rendering section so pigs with tumors or crook looking pigs that wouldn't be good for human eating, there are also less restrictions on chemical content, the latest thing I have read about euthing horses is that the meat can still be used for dog food which is interesting. It's all pretty nasty really if you think about it too hard, oh well my dogs will be ok they had roast chicken for tea tonight :D

The other thing I found out recently is that apparently there are quite tight restrictions on certain toxins in dog food, more so than humans because dogs are more likely to eat the same thing from the same batch over several days/weeks therefore toxins will build up whereas humans you can get away with a higher level because they are less likely to eat the exact same meal day after day. I found that really interesting.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I pay premium prices, I expect premium preparation. How do they know our dogs wont get crook from dirty hands or bacteria?

I know, tell me to make my own.

Are you paying premium prices? I have found that the most expensive dog food is still cheaper than the steak I would choose for myself.

The price of dog food has little to do with production cost anyway, it is set by marketing departments. Premium prices are for products with premium branding.

Dogs have a much shorter gut than humans, and so are much less likely to become crook from slightly contaminated food.

Aside from being fit for childrens consumption pet food apparently also tastes ok if you have had too much to drink.

My mums OH came home late one night, quite drunk, and decided to make himself a tuna sandwich with the left over tuna in the fridge. The next day I couldn't find the rest of the tin of cat food I had in the fridge. After asking him we realised what had happened but he said it tasted pretty good. :D

LOL, when I was a kid I used to eat the chook pellets, and grow my own wheatgrass behind the shed. :laugh:

I can only assume it is not suitable for human consumption due to different handling standards, for example human food is not allowed to be on the floor at any time, maybe things like that.

Perhaps also the bacterial load allowance too. :D

Premiums at over $100 PER bag should be human consumable. Imagine how fit and shiny and full of real meat, vitamins and minerals and small black stools we would be :D

:laugh:

I wonder if we'd develop the urge to toilet outside?

Or lift your leg when you walk past fire hydrants :laugh:

Premiums at over $100 PER bag should be human consumable. Imagine how fit and shiny and full of real meat, vitamins and minerals and small black stools we would be :D

Just as long as we wouldn't start greeting each other like dogs. EEEWWW. I much prefer to shake hands. :laugh:

What a filthy image. I should report myself.

I know an org you can report yourself to. They'll come armed with TV crew to boot. :D

And while you're at it make sure your lead isn't longer than a metre!!

LOL, when I was a kid I used to eat the chook pellets, and grow my own wheatgrass behind the shed. :laugh:

I can only assume it is not suitable for human consumption due to different handling standards, for example human food is not allowed to be on the floor at any time, maybe things like that.

Perhaps also the bacterial load allowance too. :D

We used to get kibble for salmonella testing at the lab I used to work at, but we also used to get compost in as well. I think there is a minimum requirement that anything that people handle should be free of salmonella but that was about it, we never did any other tests on it like we did on the human food.

LUV dog bikkies! :D

The dog was lucky to get any! :laugh::(

Glad to see that some still remember them :laugh:

My Grandparents used to feed their Danes those bikkies while our girl just got tinned Pal and scraps - they were RICH man - even their dogs got better bikkies than us :laugh: :laugh: We LOVED them!

Just as long as we wouldn't start greeting each other like dogs. EEEWWW. I much prefer to shake hands. :laugh:

Not much difference if the other person didn't wash their hands after going to the loo!

Dont know if this has already been said as I was too lazy to read the whole thread :)

But my guess would be that it's the ingredients and manufacturing process that makes it unsuitable :laugh:

For example human meats have to pass a certain number of inspections before they are deemed suitable for human consumption -dog meats do not, some pet foods use cast off products from grains that we don't eat etc.

But I think I read that it's the law that even dog foods made with human grade ingredients must have a label that states 'pet food only' or something along those lines :(

...Did anyone else get stuck into those dog choc drops as a kid? ;) Actually, come to think of it I ate some of Kei's yogurt drops a few months back. Polar Paws Vanilla flavour - YUM :)

It's only there for legal reasons - it says not suitable for human consumption, IE it was never invented for people to eat it as a food source so if you DO eat it and get a sick stomach you have to recourse

There is nothing unsafe in dog foods, it's just made for dogs not people. But because people these days are as thick as two short planks we need to put warnings on things so companies cano cover themselves in case of stupidity.

As for weird offal bits, ducks and chooks feet OMG :(