Washing My Dog In The Garden

GSDowner

Dear Forum Members

Our garden is far away from the kitchen, hence no access to warm water.

Currently I fill a bucket with warm water at home and carry it to the garden.

Then after washing my dog I rinse him directly from the bucket which scares the hell out of him.

I would like to rinse him more gently and more thoroughly so I bought a bathroom shampoo sprayer. Also a sprayer would allow me to reach all placed in his body.

The link below shows a sprayer similar to mine

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31Rg...L500_AA280_.jpg

The problem is that I have to attach the end of the sprayer to my bucket (with warm water) so I need a tap.

I searched the internet and went to Bunnings but they do not have buckets with taps; the only ones available are water carriers (for drinking water) with very small taps which do not fit standard sprayers.

My question is whether anyone knows where to buy a normal laundry bucket with a standard size tap (doesn't have to be a bucket, could be a different container with a tap).

I would be grateful for help.

You can buy the taps (ordinary garden taps, plastic type taps, whatever you like) and insert them into those 20/40/60 litre jerry cans which come with either the little tap for drinking water (which is what I think you are referring to) or with no tap and a pre-made hole to insert a tap instead. BCF had them in various sizes last year, all had the drinking water tap attached to the handle for the buyer to insert but the jerry can itself just had the hole with the bung in it. You may need some silcone sealer and/or plastic glue to make a good seal.

ETA: or just buy one of those 'rubber' buckets Bunnings is selling for drinks and rinse him with a jug/cup.

Edited by Sandra777

My question is whether anyone knows where to buy a normal laundry bucket with a standard size tap (doesn't have to be a bucket, could be a different container with a tap).

Have you tried Bunnings? Not sure if they have exactly what you are after, but they would be worth asking - perhaps those taps that many people insert into wheely bins to use those as water storage for gardens?

I know you said the "kitchen" is a long way from your garden. Without knowing your layout, I'm wondering why it has to be the kitchen?

I had a plumber arrange for hot/cold water taps to be installed on the exterior wall of my decking. In my case, the plumbing taps into that which was in the laundry, but it could have been bathroom or any other spot where water pipes run the closest.

Not that I do it often, but it is great to be able to hose off (I use a soft sprayer - purchased from Bunnings - so that the blast of water isn't too hard) and know that the run-off water goes to the garden. It is also good to be able to rinse off dog without it all being shaken to shower the bathroom walls.

Edited by Erny

Jug & bucket here- much gentler on everybody :(

No access to warm water?

:)

buy some black poly hose... a roll. also buy a stopper for one end (or a tap)

attach one end to to tap--fill with water.. leave in sun for a couple of hours.... TEST before using..it can get VERY hot. warm water on tap :D

Edited by persephone

Maybe look at an outdoor shower used for camping. It is a black bag you hang up and then use to shower.

Alternatively - we use something like a jerry can (but square plastic) to carry dog water in the car. It has a tap.

Before I brought a hydrobath I had an attachment I'd brought form the hardware place that attches to a flick mixer spout and than you can attach your garden hose to it and I had a soft spray nozzle on the other end.Much easier than carrying water

For goodness sake just put the dog in the bath and use a suitable rubber hose attachment brought from the hardware store with either the single or double attachment for ever your bath has.

If that's to much trouble to go to just bung it in the shower.

Edited by oakway

I don't think you are going to get enough pressure to rinse all the shampoo from the coat which will just make your dog very itchy. If you can't use your bath or shower, would either get a mobile dog washer to come to the house or take him to a DIY wash place.

Currently I fill a bucket with warm water at home and carry it to the garden.

Then after washing my dog I rinse him directly from the bucket which scares the hell out of him.

I have an old Rottweiler who is too frail to get into the bath. I line up 5 buckets of warm water to rinse the shampoo out and I use them all. Use jug to pour the rinse water over your dog. Why tip a bucket of water over him if it distresses him?

There is no way you can rinse a dog thoroughly with only one bucket of water. I add white vinegar to the last bucket of water to ensure no shampoo is left in the coat.

Well, I am talking about water from the kitchen as the kitchen is the closest.

Water pressure would be solved by putting a bucket higher ie on a chair (I use several buckets)

I rinse my dog by using an ice cream container and dip it in the bucket but still he does not like it and it is not possible to get to all parts of his body.

I looked at a jerry can in Bunnings but taps are too small there.

My dog hates washing so there is no way he would step into a bath.

Thanks so much to everyone for various ideas which I will try.

Before I had my hydro (best doggie thing I ever purchased, aside from my float) I made myself a little attachment with normal garden hoses and tap attachments that I connected to my laundry trough, where you always have screw on taps anyway.

So, it was a short piece of hose to connect to both the hot and cold taps, then connecting these together into one. Then the one single hose would run outside to where I wanted to wash and rinse. The nozzle would have an off flick, so I could test for temperature first in the trough before I took the nozzle outside, so I didn't have to keep readjusting.

I found this pretty easy and had to use it even in my hydro for rinsing before I had new hot/cold taps installed above my hydro.

good luck. :thumbsup: