If One More Person Asks Me...... Grrrr

pixie_meg

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pixie Meg. that is one beautiful Borzoi. I met some at Maryborough show recently and one little girl looked a LOT like your boy, she was around the same age too, I wonder if they are litter mates? The couple were lovely and I think had about 4 dogs of different ages. The little girl was absolutely the sweetest thing EVER. Another one I met there, a male, had an Affenpinscher!!!!!!!! as a baby brother :thumbsup::) Inky he was called. The two of them together :rofl: and the Borzoi was amazing, so gentle.

The girls from the litter were stunning so it may have been one of them. they just had the sweetest girly faces if that makes sense.

I love trying to identify dog breeds, it is like a cool guessing game. But I always ask once I think I have it right to see if I am.

I don't get many people getting Sabbys breed right, mostly I get asked if he is an American Bulldog. I guess people just aren't used to White Boxers.

He is absolutely beautiful!

I'm not surprised they thought he was a whippet (Im not saying that he does lool like one)

Its not like they were accusing you of something or saying something nasty, I would just be happy that someone is taking the time out to appreciate the dog on the street.

Not everyone is as informed about certain dog breeds as some on this forum- and for someone trying to make a conversation with you because they find your dog striking, I am surprised it bothered you so much.

Mita, is that a short-coated Tibbie? Cause it's GORGEOUS, regardless! :)

A prize will be in the mail to you, dog geek (I wish!!!! :rofl: ). That is indeed a Tibbie which has been clipped. :thumbsup:

First time I left our 2 tibbie girls at the groomers for a summer clip, I felt like a breed-destroyer. There's no reason to clip-groom a Tibbie.

When I came back, I saw 2 gorgeous little dogs that looked a million dollars.

Tibbies have firm, well-shaped bodies under their fur. So they don't look like plucked chickens. They show the sturdiness which must have allowed them to survive in the harsh climate of Tibet.

When I'd take the clipped Tibbies out walking, they'd get so much admiration. People would say they looked like pretty, small golden bulldogs.

But no one ever then guessed ' Pekes' (which they did, when they had their fur on!).

post-3304-1263267983_thumb.jpg

Edited by mita

other people not recognising the maremma breed does not bother me at all.. it is when i am told that i do not know what breed of dog i have that annoys me or worse when people tell me that working maremmas do not need to be fed as they eat grass.. ( hello!!!!!!! they are dogs carnivores.) and when i say that as they are dogs they do require feedingetc just like any other animal in your care they argue with me!!!!!!! that really irritates me but i no longer try to change their minds just let them know that i do not have any of those dogs available..

still it is a worry that those views are seriously held by some

H

:thumbsup:

All of mine are rescue dogs and it doesn't bother me if people try to guess what breeds might be in them because I'm not sure either!

Yes, it is a source of continuing entertainment trying to guess the breeds that are in our rescue ones. I'm calling Kisho a Pomeranian cross African Painted Dog - LOL.

Its not like they were accusing you of something or saying something nasty, I would just be happy that someone is taking the time out to appreciate the dog on the street.

Not everyone is as informed about certain dog breeds as some on this forum- and for someone trying to make a conversation with you because they find your dog striking, I am surprised it bothered you so much.

Oh, i'm not insulted and i don't think they're being nasty its just that when you've heard that guess so many times it just gets a lil old. I enjoy the conversations, its the people who make themselves out to be experts and look at you like you're lying about your dogs breed that bother me.

I get people insisting my Maizy is a Dingo.. Sometimes I just go along with it because the people who usually say that just don't listen when you re-explain.

But most people know she is a cattle dog and we get lots of compliments

It's a bit hard to mistake a cattle dog :(

When walking my stumpy tail cattle dog X Jessie on the lead, I just get random people saying "allo bluey" :cry:

Edited by fainty_girl

My Whippet is very big and muscley(we breed them tough in the hills :cry: ) I dont know how many times I have had people ask if he races and why isnt he wearing a muzzle.

One man told me I had been conned as he was obviously a Greyhound, when I explained I had his papers and knew his parents he still didn't believe me I dont think.

I dont care what people think Yogi is or isn't because I know that he is 100% beautiful and Yogi wishes that the uneducated masses wouldn't come up and stare at him and call him names :cry:post-28340-1263300017_thumb.jpg

Edited by Robbi

:laugh: oh, Mita, are you sure there is no prize... like maybe a lickle smoochie faced Tibbie? :thumbsup:

Since I am given to moments of irrational certainty... I guess I just remind myself that guessing breeds is always a sign, at least, of interest in dogs.

just reading this post and thought I should let u know what was said about my dog one day at OB...had just finished classes and was letting Dezzy have a drink when a lady from my group came over and asked if her son could ask me a question....once Dezzy had finished his drink I walked over to the son and he asked what breed was my dog....I advised him he was an American Staffordshire Terrier and he turned around and said I thought he was a pig dog gone wrong.....I just laughed and said to him that I had never had anyone describe my dog as being a pig dog gone wrong :eat:

:cry: he looks nothing like a whippet to me.. I have no idea what Borzoi's look like so would never have guessed his breed, but nup..wouldn't have thought whippet.

I love his colours :) he's lovely.

I had a pretty good idea of what a borzoi looks like but I wouldn't have guessed either, because seeing photos of adult borzoi in books is different to seeing a puppy without all the feathering that defined the borzoi in the books.

How's this for an embarrassing moment of mistaken identity? I had been admiring a couple of salukis that regularly walk down my street for a couple of months while trying to decide if they were borzoi or salukis. I finally decided they were too small for borzoi, came inside and looked at my dog books and confirmed that they were salukis.

Can't always rely on the old brain to retain information though. Next time the lady walked past, I gushed "I love your borzois!" :p I got a slightly haughty glare and "They're salukis" as I looked for the nearest thing to bash my forehead against. So instead of making her day by getting her breed right, I came across as a know it all dumbass. I've been too embarrassed to speak to her since. 3-4 years later she still walks her dogs past, mind you I've moved down the road, maybe she won't realise it's me! :cry:

just reading this post and thought I should let u know what was said about my dog one day at OB...had just finished classes and was letting Dezzy have a drink when a lady from my group came over and asked if her son could ask me a question....once Dezzy had finished his drink I walked over to the son and he asked what breed was my dog....I advised him he was an American Staffordshire Terrier and he turned around and said I thought he was a pig dog gone wrong.....I just laughed and said to him that I had never had anyone describe my dog as being a pig dog gone wrong

Dezzyno.1

only a pig would say that!

I was at a show, and wheeling my West Highland White Terrier - groomed for the show, in his trolley and a child of an exhibitor in another group asked if he was a shih tzu x malt... I just chuckled and said no- he is a Westie, and went on my way

I was at a show, and wheeling my West Highland White Terrier - groomed for the show, in his trolley and a child of an exhibitor in another group asked if he was a shih tzu x malt... I just chuckled and said no- he is a Westie, and went on my way

Sometimes we can be bit precious. We as dog owners need to understand that not everyone knows the so many different breeds around. Anyway, what's the difference if the breed is incorrectly named? I don't think anything bad is meant by their innocent mistakes. Sonia