How Do Your Dogs Ask For Things ?

Bisart Dobes

My 4 yr old beautiful brown girl has just come into the office with something and dropped down next to me to chew on it. Didn't think twice about it as there is nothing bad they can get hold of - just thought she had one of her bones from dinner. I looked down to see a red bottle and upon taking it off her found it was a bottle of Essential Enzymes - of which she had the lid off and had eaten the remaining contents (2 or 3 capsules).

Hmmmmm - perhaps her way of telling me "Mum, I need these again". :thumbsup: (she ended up with stomach ulcers after being baited some time ago and so still her diet is quite controlled and these capsules are something she gets on occasion). Off to buy her another bottle tomorrow - she obviously needs them :rolleyes:.

My girl Jane (The Black Menace) asks for things by draping herself around my shoulders and looking at me...very cute but she is 27kgs.

If she wants me to play with whatever she has in her mouth, she will bump me in the back of the legs as I walk though the house...walk, bump. walk ,bump bump, walk...ect!

Both of mine just walk back and forwards between me and the place where the thing is. For example if Kyzer's toy has rolled under some furniture, he will walk backwards and forwards and stand in the direction of the toy but turn his head around to look at me, waiting for me to follow :thumbsup: When I get up he will trot on a bit and then keep looking back at me until I can save his toy.

If the object is around a few corners he will do each straight section at a time, checking to make sure I am following him :rolleyes:

Raaf is NOT subtle in telling me what he wants!!! He just barks at me with lovely, loud high pitched WOOFS!!!! :rofl: He barks with his toy at my feet.... or barks at me and runs to the door if he wants out.... or jumps on my bed and licks my face and BARKS at me again when he wants me to wake up.... Im SUCH a slave LOL :laugh::o

haha, how does he ask for stuff.....

Shake Hands?.......no abrham you cant have the big hot wiked smelling roast mum just pulled out the oven.........Shake Hands?.......no.......Shake Hands, with a sook look on my face?..... NO!....walks away and sulks lol

OR

if the thing he wants is in another room or far away......he wont bother lol

LOL Bisart doesn't sound to me like your girl wastes time actually asking for things - methinks she just helped herself!! :laugh:

Last time I looked down thinking how can that boy be making so much noise with a nylabone it turned out that he'd helped himself to a new chew toy - the toilet brush holder!! :o

My fault - I hadn't closed the door properly, but they do choose some unsuitable chew toys, don't they?

Um well yes :hug: - good point - she does seem to be taking after her mother as she gets older :( . Her mother is the worst counter surfer in the world and no matter how many times she gets told off she doesn't care - will still take whatever she can get her teeth on. Lexi however is much better behaved - will not steal food but takes things like this. I guess she was putting it in front of me so that I knew to get her more :)

Her brother takes water bottles off people - if you are standing there talking he will look at them with that cute 'can I' look on his face, if they ignore him he will touch it softly with his nose, if they still ignore him he will gently try to hold the bottle top - then they generally get the gist of what he wants so he ups the anti with the 'cute look' until they give it to him. Then he's happy and lays down to chew the top off.

Our young boy will thump you with his paw to get attention and then he play bows when he really wants something. (Nickname is Thumper :)). His sister will stare at you for as long as it takes and then will give you a high pitched puppy bark until you give in - funny girl.

I get 'slapped' by a Beagle paw. Thats why his nickname is slapper :thumbsup:

Same here, a great big paw and claws on my arm! ouch lol

She also licks me and she'll come to me then walk away, then comes back to me again then walks away...this usually means she wants to go outside.

If it's dinner, she'll paw he food dish and flip it down the stairs..clang clang bang bash!!!!! :)

Mick will start with a gentle paw on my leg but if that doesn't get any action the paw gets impatient and starts scratching harder and harder until attention is given - not a nice feeling when this old girl is wearing shorts because of this stupid weather, only in the house, don't want to scare anyone lol.

Abby stands and stares at me, then there's a soft whine, then a bit of a grrrr which esculates to a high pitched yap if the soft approach isn't working.

Sheesh, I'm well trained :thumbsup:

Sophie guide to getting the Peanut Butter, without sitting when commanded.

Step 1- Stand infront of mum and stare with saddest eyes imaginable.

Step 2 - Gingerly lift paw to sit on mummy's knee - continue with sad eyes

Step 3 - Lick mummy's knee, lick own paw, make eyes sadder. Whimper if necessary.

Step 4 - Use paw to dig hole through mummy's knee whilst whimpering. Simulate crying. Make eyes sadder if at all possible.

Step 5- Wait till Mummy pushes your boofhead away, and take the opportunity whilst she is unprepared to launch into her face and give her sloppy tongue kiss.

Step 6- As mummy composes self and spits out dog slobber whilst she retrieves her tonsils from her lungs, steal peanut butter jar and run away to safe distance.

Step 7 - When you realise you cannot open the jar on your own, bring jar back to mummy, drop in her lap, and then FINALLY sit when asked.

Step 8 - Eat the peanut butter! YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM....................

Now..... I want the ball! Mum is asking me to drop, but there must be a catch - best be thinking of another elaborate scheme to get the ball.......

Edited by NicGSDlover

Sophie guide to getting the Peanut Butter, without sitting when commanded.

Step 1- Stand infront of mum and stare with saddest eyes imaginable.

Step 2 - Gingerly lift paw to sit on mummy's knee - continue with sad eyes

Step 3 - Lick mummy's knee, lick own paw, make eyes sadder. Whimper if necessary.

Step 4 - Use paw to dig hole through mummy's knee whilst whimpering. Simulate crying. Make eyes sadder if at all possible.

Step 5- Wait till Mummy pushes your boofhead away, and take the opportunity whilst she is unprepared to launch into her face and give her sloppy tongue kiss.

Step 6- As mummy composes self and spits out dog slobber whilst she retrieves her tonsils from her lungs, steal peanut butter jar and run away to safe distance.

Step 7 - When you realise you cannot open the jar on your own, bring jar back to mummy, drop in her lap, and then FINALLY sit when asked.

Step 8 - Eat the peanut butter! YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM....................

Now..... I want the ball! Mum is asking me to drop, but there must be a catch - best be thinking of another elaborate scheme to get the ball.......

:)

Three distinct ways for mine...

Spartan - if outside and wants in, makes loud, annoying barks until let in... if inside, chewbacca noises seem to work.

Ari - a series of cries, whinges and barks in many decibles... mostly, the whinges start and then i ask "what?" and look at her and she gives mea loud woo woo woo bark then jumps on me - because then i will know exactly what she wants.

James is the sweetest of all (when is he not?). He will come and lean on knee, lap, lounge arm and make silent whines... if that doesn't work, he will paw you and stare with the look which he think looks sad and needy but i only see as bloody cheeky. If he REALLY wants something, he will paw, then CLING with his nails... ouch!!! I have seen this final approach used effectively on OH while he was taking a nanna nap. James wanted on the lounge - OH stretched accross said lounge... James paws and clings OH's legs multiple times while pulling back legs until OH moves legs, then James jumps and settles with the most triumphant look on his face!! :thumbsup:

Starts with a look, then progresses to a whine/growl, then a scratch of what she wants, then scratch me... then starts demonstrating tricks she thinks deserve a treat, aand if all else fails she will just sit and stare patiently at what she wants :thumbsup:

My Whippet runs backwards and forwards touching me with her nose, the only place she wants to go is to bed or to make you sit on the lounge with her .

One of my Staffords just screams the place down, until she gets what she wants. It's the same scream for starvation or going to the toilet LOL

With Darcy, it depends what he wants.

If he wants to play, he will drop his ball somewhere near me and stare at it, then at me, then the ball again. If the ball has still not been thrown after a while, he will bark once. Then look at me again. Then the ball.

If he is inside and wants to go out, he will stand at the door and stare outside, whining. If I'm in another room or can't see him, he will come into the room, bark once, then walk out. He will repeat this until I follow him.

Outside and wanting to come in, he just stands at the door barking and whining until he gets in.

Gemmy is the most advanced in getting her 'needs' communicated:

FOOD: brings food bowl and drops at feet with a clang, looks up expectantly;

picks up bowl and drops with another clang (cos I might not of heard the first time)

sits, looks at me expectantly, lifts paw to shake 'come on mum, you know you wanna!'

lies down and nudges bowl with nose or rests paw on top,, just in case im not quite sure about what she wants yet

rolls over with a silly grin on her face at which stage she forgets about the food request and will happily receive belly rubs