Seniors And Silkies

ruthless

As one of my New Year's Resolutions I offered some time to rescue groups in my area, taking photographs of their dogs to put on adoption websites. The first two groups to take me up on my offer were Senior Dogs Rescue and Silky Rescue Australia.

It wasn't an easy task photographing ten untrained dogs in an hour, but I wanted to put a few up here all-the-same. If only to highlight the great work that the two groups do with very limited resources. They're both funded by private donations, so if you've any money left over from Christmas I'm sure they could put it to good use!

4264935925_2d030fceb7.jpg

KittyKat was in a bad way when she was rescued from the pound. Her hair was so badly matted her two front legs were joined together. When they trimmed her face hair back they found her tongue had hair matted around the centre of it. It had been there so long she has gouges on either side of it and the blood supply to her tongue was cut off so it was black and almost dead. She's lucky she didn't lose it.

How anyone with any kind of a heart let her get into such a terrible condition is just beyond me :thumbsup:

4264936367_6fca9c18c6.jpg

4264936741_b90e08fe2b.jpg

4264937237_390aa7bc90.jpg

4264938177_151b1fe8f8.jpg

4265689048_ecf6a802a2.jpg

:laugh:

editing to add names in order of appearance:

Kitty Kat - maltese

Jen Jen - pom cross pixie

Aden - maltese cross shihtzu

Saffie - chi and sister to Tim

Cleo - Australian Terrier

Poppy - Silky Terrier (who is staying in care due to ongoing medical) <<--Ruth I've used this for my new avatar :o

Edited by Powerlegs

Oh be still my beating heart - I do so love the seniors!!! Those silver faces are totally gorgeous!

KittyKats story OMG! Praise the heavens for rescue angels...

Look at that wonderful face on the little Aussie (can we still call them that? People these days always seem to think it means that American developed herding breed...not that they aren't nice too!)

Got the terrier character and heart and drive in spades that little one, judging from the pic - doesn't look senior and is certainly not Silky, so what is the story there?

Ooops = meant to say lovely pics but got carried away with the models... :laugh:

Is one of those dogs little Saffie?

The second photo? I think that was her name, but there were so many dogs I couldn't remember all their names :(

Look at that wonderful face on the little Aussie (can we still call them that? People these days always seem to think it means that American developed herding breed...not that they aren't nice too!)

Got the terrier character and heart and drive in spades that little one, judging from the pic - doesn't look senior and is certainly not Silky, so what is the story there?

When Powerlegs said she was bringing an Aussie to photograph I thought she meant the herding kind too :hug: Cleo is six and she recently had bladder stones removed. That's all I know. Here's her PetRescue profile :)

Oh be still my beating heart - I do so love the seniors!!! Those silver faces are totally gorgeous!

KittyKats story OMG! Praise the heavens for rescue angels...

Ooops = meant to say lovely pics but got carried away with the models... :hug:

That's my girl! She's the best. :D And at six - yeah she's not quite senior but I try to help any age if I can. Being a small rescue :) ..... wish I could do more.

And her breed? LOL well you can't love silkies and leave out the yorkies and aussies - and even their crosses. :( I love them all.

The second photo? I think that was her name, but there were so many dogs I couldn't remember all their names :)

Yes that's Saffie! Tiny Tim's sister and it's nice to see such a lovely photo - she's still camera shy.

great taht they can have pics that show them in a good light - it lets their character shine through!

So true Megan. :birthday:

I'll just add - Linda (Toots) never boasts about her work for the seniors but the photos tell 1000 words. If anyone is interested, see Dexter's page on her site. Start at the bottom for his first photo. Rescuing seniors is a long term commitment and expensive as well but Linda is fearless and determined to give these oldies back a quality of life after they are abandoned in pounds by owners who frankly ought to get a kick up the arse in the very least.

The second photo? I think that was her name, but there were so many dogs I couldn't remember all their names :(

Yes that's Saffie! Tiny Tim's sister and it's nice to see such a lovely photo - she's still camera shy.

Woops, wrong name again :hug: I'm bringing a notepad next time!!

I'll just add - Linda (Toots) never boasts about her work for the seniors but the photos tell 1000 words. If anyone is interested, see Dexter's page on her site. Start at the bottom for his first photo. Rescuing seniors is a long term commitment and expensive as well but Linda is fearless and determined to give these oldies back a quality of life after they are abandoned in pounds by owners who frankly ought to get a kick up the arse in the very least.

Link here, start from the bottom.

Gee you are so kind :banghead: . Fearless, wow that's nice, determined, oh yes. Just let someone tell me they are not worth it! Every one has such a special story and so much to overcome but everyone a treasure.

Thanks Ruth for your time, energy and understanding. The results are just lovely.

That is such a lovely thing to do ruthless and the extra exposure on this thread may find a home or two for these special doggies.The oldies dumped at the pound have the biggest betrayal and their pleading eyes are so heart breaking.Toots and Powerlegs always march on and help the needy souls.

Living with an older dog is just like having a favourite elderly Grandma or Grandpa staying except they do not repeat the same story umpteen times :laugh:

Anyone considering adopting a senior dog ........the joy they give is very special. :(

Great shots Ruth - it's so sad but I hope your photos help them find the perfect homes.

The only photo I saw of Zero before I went out to see him was all blurry and I didn't realise what kind of condition he was in. In the blurry shot he looked a whole lot bigger than he was and I'm not surprised no one wanted to see him based on his pound shot! I'm sure photos like these will really make people want help these gorgeous little guys.