Breeders?

jess live die

I pick puppies for buyers usually. Unless there's a couple of very similar (temperament) pups and a couple of very similar types of families, then I let the first-approved people have first pick of those puppies. The breeder knows the temperament of the pups best.

I find that, with an all black, or all chocolate litter, most puppy buyers can't tell the pups apart. If they pick a pup on one visit, they'll pick a different pup on the second visit. Exception being if there's a runt . . . the runts are often very popular. If I get someone who can justify their pick, eg, they want to show and they like the conformation of one pup better than another, I respect their right to pick. Otherwise I nudge people toward the pup I think suits them best.

Temperament is hard to call in a half-hour visit. Often the most boisterous pup will have eaten a lot and be acting placid, while one of the calmer pups will be doing zoomies. I point this out to puppy buyers, and by-in-large they seem happy with the pup they get.

I pick puppies for buyers usually. Unless there's a couple of very similar (temperament) pups and a couple of very similar types of families, then I let the first-approved people have first pick of those puppies. The breeder knows the temperament of the pups best.

same as above

same as above

Me too.

same as above

Me too.

And me!

I let the buyer choose their puppy but I do suggest & explain why I think a particular one would suit them & their circumstances, if applicable. If they prefer another that is fine.

However if I knew for sure that the pup they had chosen would be completely wrong I would say no, sorry but you will not be happy with that one.

They also really can't tell the difference when they are all blacks, which mine are mostly.

genuine question for breeders (for our next dog in a few years time).....if I came to you as a potential buyer & said i didn't care about colour or sex, but was after, lets say, one of the easier going puppies in the litter. Not interested in showing, just want the pup that has the most potential to be an easy going, laid back individual, as opposed to one of the more boistrous or pushy pups, how would you respond to me?

genuine question for breeders (for our next dog in a few years time).....if I came to you as a potential buyer & said i didn't care about colour or sex, but was after, lets say, one of the easier going puppies in the litter. Not interested in showing, just want the pup that has the most potential to be an easy going, laid back individual, as opposed to one of the more boistrous or pushy pups, how would you respond to me?

This is how the breeders select the pup for there puppy owners .

Breeders will have discussed what the family wants,what the family make is & what ideally there after & then will either inform you there is a pup to match your criteria or there isnt.

rarely do you not get a match when open minded about sex/colour.

This is the exact info we ask

Cool, thanks.....was asking because I thought that if I went to a breeder with that request, I might sound a bit "up myself".....I know exactly what attributes I want in a puppy, but without spending 24/7 with them like the breeder does, wouldn't necessarily know which pup in the litter (if any) would fit.

So, if you had a potential buyer who wanted, for example, a particular sex or colour, to show, and it just so happened that it was also the same puppy that fit the personality criteria of another buyer who wasn't interested in those things (and there was only one that suited both people), would the show home get preference, as they would potentially be keeping the line going, or would it depend on other factors also?

Would it change anything if buyer 1 didn't want to show, but just wanted a perticular colour/sex for their own preference...who would get the puppy then???

Willow - some really interesting questions and some great responses.

My little boy is arriving in exactly a week and I haven't 'met' him yet, he is flying up from Sydney. The breeder provided wonderful information and photographs during the past 7 weeks (since birth) and I provided her with what I was looking for in regards to personality. So essentially my breeder sent images to me and I just happened to pick one from the photos and she said he would be perfect for me - so it seemed rather easy :hug:

with open arms :hug:

ETA: willow, that laid back slap happy puppy would probably be no good in the ring, especially if it's a Stafford. One of the things i'm looking for in a show dog , aside from conformation, is that outgoing , naughty, pull your jeans and total chaos puppy. I've generally found that the puppy that you can't insult, makes the best in the ring.

Edited by SBT123

Cool, thanks.....was asking because I thought that if I went to a breeder with that request, I might sound a bit "up myself".....I know exactly what attributes I want in a puppy, but without spending 24/7 with them like the breeder does, wouldn't necessarily know which pup in the litter (if any) would fit.

So, if you had a potential buyer who wanted, for example, a particular sex or colour, to show, and it just so happened that it was also the same puppy that fit the personality criteria of another buyer who wasn't interested in those things (and there was only one that suited both people), would the show home get preference, as they would potentially be keeping the line going, or would it depend on other factors also?

Would it change anything if buyer 1 didn't want to show, but just wanted a perticular colour/sex for their own preference...who would get the puppy then???

When you tell me you want a puppy I listen to what you have to say about what you would like but I also listen to things about your lifestyle and what you expect from an adult dog.The show home wouldn't get preference because its first come first served but I always keep the best for last in case someone does want a show pup or I get no takers and get to keep it. :hug:

same as above

Me as well!

Willow - I want puppy buyers to tell me what they are looking for in a pup, as far as temperament, colour, sex etc. I want the new owner to be happy with the pup they get, so I do my best to match up pups with new owners as much as possible.

With the litter I have here now, one buyer didn't care what sex or colour (labs), but specifically wanted a pup who was a bit more 'laid back' & placid. I knew in this mating I potentially could get pups like this as it is a repeat mating and a few of the pups from the last litter were very placid, and really easy to train and live with. I have one here (not so great for the showring, but a joy to live with.)

So I have been watching the pups to pick which is the most placid, and one little boy just stands out!

I only breed when I know I want to keep something, so am looking for my pick and then after that I match them up to new owners depending on their requests. If there are 2 or 3 so similar, like others have said I let the first on the list pick which one they would like, but would advise them if I thought they were not making the best choice for their requirements.

My breeder listened to what I wanted and helped me narrow it down to two pups, then I got to choose out of the two. I found her help to be invaluable as when you are looking down at a litter of 9 black labs you can barely tell them apart, let alone pick which one is right for you!

I think if you have found a breeder you trust and respect, you should take their advice!

I would give you a big :hug: and put you at the top of the list - someone who cares about how the dog IS rather than how it looks!