Western Sydney Church Selling Dd's

Crazy Daisy

Hi all,

I just got back from Sydney and something I heard is really bugging me. My Aunty is part of a christian church in western Sydney and we were talking about dogs and I mentioned we were getting a new puppy in a couple of months.

She said "Our church is now breeding puppies."

Me "What!!!"

Aunty " Yes, they are maltese X ummmm I think Shih Tzu. They're really cute"

Me "Why are they breeding cross breeds?"

Aunty " Because they are easy to sell and they get really good money for them. And they are so cute and fluffy"

Me "Who breeds them?"

Aunty "I don't know exactly how it started but we had the first litter and then all the females went to member's of the church and when they were old enough they bred them and then sell the puppies."

Ok, by this stage I am feeling physically sick. My aunty isn't involved in the breeding of these dogs but she condones it and said it was a great way to raise money. Argggh. She asked me why I thought it was so bad and I think I did a pretty good job of telling her why I would only buy purebreds or adopt pound dogs. I talked about health testing and breeding for temperment, etc.

Talking to people from this church group is like talking to yourself, but I really am upset by this (shaking as I type) but what else can I do???

Thanks

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi all,

I just got back from Sydney and something I heard is really bugging me. My Aunty is part of a christian church in western Sydney and we were talking about dogs and I mentioned we were getting a new puppy in a couple of months.

She said "Our church is now breeding puppies."

Me "What!!!"

Aunty " Yes, they are maltese X ummmm I think Shih Tzu. They're really cute"

Me "Why are they breeding cross breeds?"

Aunty " Because they are easy to sell and they get really good money for them. And they are so cute and fluffy"

Me "Who breeds them?"

Aunty "I don't know exactly how it started but we had the first litter and then all the females went to member's of the church and when they were old enough they bred them and then sell the puppies."

Ok, by this stage I am feeling physically sick. My aunty isn't involved in the breeding of these dogs but she condones it and said it was a great way to raise money. Argggh. She asked me why I thought it was so bad and I think I did a pretty good job of telling her why I would only buy purebreds or adopt pound dogs. I talked about health testing and breeding for temperment, etc.

Talking to people from this church group is like talking to yourself, but I really am upset by this (shaking as I type) but what else can I do???

Thanks

To be honest I think you will find that talking to members of a group like this may be like talking to a brick wall...

You could try writing a letter to someone higher up in the church community explaining your concerns and questioning their ethics. After all, isn't the church supposed to care about ALL of Gods creatures??

I hope, at least, they're giving the pups a good clean Christian upbringing!

Not saying I like the idea . .. but I'd say a Church pup is likely to be a bit better than a DD pup bred on a puppy farm and sold through a pet shop. At least it will be clear who is responsible if the pups have genetic health problems or go to their homes with parasites and disease.

I think you are focusing on the wrong thing - it doesn't matter if they are cross breeds or pure breeds, no one should be selling living animals to raise funds.

Go into the rescue thread and get some stats re: how many healthy, happy dogs are euthed in NSW every year and give those stats to your Aunty. Tell tehm they are directly contributing to this. And ask her the ol' chesnut "What would Jesus do?"...he certainly wouldn't do this.

Don't think for a second because they are god squader's all will be sweet,

some of the biggest puppy farms in the US are run by the Amish.

fifi

edit....do a google search on Amish puppy mills :-(((

Edited by fifi

I think you are focusing on the wrong thing - it doesn't matter if they are cross breeds or pure breeds, no one should be selling living animals to raise funds.

Go into the rescue thread and get some stats re: how many healthy, happy dogs are euthed in NSW every year and give those stats to your Aunty. Tell tehm they are directly contributing to this. And ask her the ol' chesnut "What would Jesus do?"...he certainly wouldn't do this.

This is the part that bugs me the most. The reason they are breeding x breeds is they believe they get the higher price.

I hope, at least, they're giving the pups a good clean Christian upbringing!

Not saying I like the idea . .. but I'd say a Church pup is likely to be a bit better than a DD pup bred on a puppy farm and sold through a pet shop. At least it will be clear who is responsible if the pups have genetic health problems or go to their homes with parasites and disease.

But I don't know who they're selling them too. If they just want profits who's to say they are just not selling them out of the back of a van at a local market or school yard?

It's the fact that they are looking at it from a profit point of view that really gets me.

Seriously? I actually find this hard to believe, i'm a big churchie type too but i'm abhorred by this. No wonder people think churches are money-chasers! I know mine isn't, I mean we raise funds for various things, like the youth group kids got sponsored to sleep rough for a night in the church carpark for all funds to go straight to a homeless shelter, and we had a big garage sale to raise funds to buy medical equipment for Sri Lankan hospitals etc, but it's not like we're looking to turn a profit! Not for a second would my church leaders consider allowing people to breed mongrel dogs for profit - that's disgusting and completely unethical. The bible says that humans were given dominian over animals, which to me says were given the responsibilty to care for them, not exploit them - grrrr. Makes me furious.

Maybe my church is just the exception - we have a Border Collie that's a regular attender - noone bats an eyelid when she wanders up to the pastor for a pat during the service, lol. And we're looking to have a dog service where everyone with freindly dogs can bring their woofers to play. hehe.

May Dog bless them with a couple of 3am long weekend c-sections.

Are you kidding. If the poor dogs got into trouble birthing the people would just put their hands together and say, "It is God's will."

I would be letterbox dropping to all the people in the parish.

How can people be so bloody stupid.

Show them photos of matted dog, the stats for the Maltese an Maltese crosses in pounds.

Remind them of St Francis.

Maltese come from Malta & the Shih Tzu from the East.

So tell them they're breeding little catholic-buddhists. Some of those churches are a bit funny about both those. :hug:

Seriously, what NicGSDlover said, makes sense. About the need, via their biblical belief, to care for animals not exploit them. So write a note to the pastor & congregation, pointing out why breeding/raising/selling DDs for gain is a form of exploitation.

Edited by mita

I could have the wrong end of the stick here, but it sounds like they are breeding the original littermates to each other :hug:

Totally agree that exploiting animals (God's creatures, yeah?) for profit is abhorrent. St Francis would be spinning in his halo.

Edited by Longclaw

Seriously what is becoming of this, a bloody church breeding dogs its disgusting, they aren't Christians, I would not call people who exploit animals and a church of all to exploit animals it is disgusting and it should not be allowed. :hug: Can anyone find out any more information on this. I just looked up Amish puppy mills its was disgusting and it just breaks my heart it really does.

Are you kidding. If the poor dogs got into trouble birthing the people would just put their hands together and say, "It is God's will."

I agree these people are jerks but please keep in mind not all Christians are brainless morons.

I am referring only to the people who are taking part in this senseless, NicGSDlover, I can assure you :hug: .

You are preaching to the converted here; you need to go to the source - the Church/people where it all started.