Waiting For A Puppy This Thread Is For You

jess live die

Poppyx - make sure you call around for quotes on the flight. Ours was really reasonable - $140 with jetpets. :happydance2:

i i shopped around alright! i emailed every one i could find someone quoted me $400! the cheapest i have got so far is $220 so we think we'll go with them, jet pets were $50 more expensive than these guys .

140 is cheeaaap! did that include crate hire?

Yea, it included crate hire. I think I may have gotten it when it was on special though. That's a shame you can't find anything cheaper, $220's alright though, who's that with?

Petflyers,

I literally submitted quotes to about 8 different carriers, some couldnt do the area, some were too expensive and some just havnt answered me :thumbsup:

MAD ~ How are things over your way? :love:

BF

Blue Fairy - Not much going on here :) . Although I should be looking at it as it is 1 day closer to my pup! :laugh:

The only thing I really have going for me at the moment is that I am going to meet up with the breeder in about 2 weeks. That should be good! I've had to change my signature date aswell. I read the email again, and the pups won't be born until Aug/Sep, so I think it's safe to say November is when I will get my pup.

Happy Birthday aswell! I hope you and your husband have a great dinner :D :)

jakeyjangels - Jangles is adorable! Little fat thing he is!

Costa's mum - :rofl:

I've used JetPets before.....what a bad experience THAT was! :)

Edited by MAD

Poppyx - make sure you call around for quotes on the flight. Ours was really reasonable - $140 with jetpets. :laugh:

i i shopped around alright! i emailed every one i could find someone quoted me $400! the cheapest i have got so far is $220 so we think we'll go with them, jet pets were $50 more expensive than these guys .

140 is cheeaaap! did that include crate hire?

Yea, it included crate hire. I think I may have gotten it when it was on special though. That's a shame you can't find anything cheaper, $220's alright though, who's that with?

Petflyers,

I literally submitted quotes to about 8 different carriers, some couldnt do the area, some were too expensive and some just havnt answered me :)

You may be better off calling? Either that or I just got lucky lol

MAD ~ How are things over your way? :eek:

BF

Blue Fairy - Not much going on here :love: . Although I should be looking at it as it is 1 day closer to my pup! :laugh:

The only thing I really have going for me at the moment is that I am going to meet up with the breeder in about 2 weeks. That should be good! I've had to change my signature date aswell. I read the email again, and the pups won't be born until Aug/Sep, so I think it's safe to say November is when I will get my pup.

Happy Birthday aswell! I hope you and your husband have a great dinner :) :)

jakeyjangels - Jangles is adorable! Little fat thing he is!

Costa's mum - :D

I've used JetPets before.....what a bad experience THAT was! :rofl:

Thanks MAD Yes he loves his food & is doing really, really well on his raw diet. :)

Yeah I haven't heard anyone else bad mouth them either. I just got bad luck.

The thing was, I had to drive 2.5hrs each way to the airport to pick the dogs up. I organized a date and everything, drove out there, then am told that they couldn't fit on that flight and that they will be flying in a few days. Nobody called and told me despite the fact that I had called up twice that day to make sure they would be there!

The only good thing they did was void the kennel keeping fees.

Edited by MAD

Hi everyone all of your pups are gorgeous. It is hard waiting for a pup, hoping the bitch falls, hoping for the right sex :-) I am hoping to have a show puppy in the not too distant future so have everything crossed and saying prayers to the puppy gods that a perfect little girl is born for me and everyone elses puppers are born too

Thank you Monah. Yes Pets Village in Berrimah, I know the one. I will pop in there this week and have a look, i also want to pick up a puppy kong. Are your dog beds similar to any of these?

Quiet time bed or

Easy care mat

I will be putting photos in the vizsla thread for sure!

Our boy is coming through Dogtainers, anyone had any experience with them? I have certainly heard some terrible stories on here, which is scary!!

FD26, when you pup came into Darwin was he sitting around in the sun at all?

Costa's Mum :thumbsup:

Yeah I haven't heard anyone else bad mouth them either. I just got bad luck.

The thing was, I had to drive 2.5hrs each way to the airport to pick the dogs up. I organized a date and everything, drove out there, then am told that they couldn't fit on that flight and that they will be flying in a few days. Nobody called and told me despite the fact that I had called up twice that day to make sure they would be there!

The only good thing they did was void the kennel keeping fees.

i have found contact for them not great, other than the response to my quote, i have emailed them 2-3 times with questions about their services and not ONCE have they answered me :thumbsup:

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the congrats :D

MAD ~ Yes it does seem like its that far away, you'll never see that day get here.....but it will, I just hope it all goes according to plan for you. So if its a November arrival, you get to get an early Christmas present how exciting :thumbsup: Well at least you can unload on here and I'll stick with you, as it seems our pup will be set back further too :happydance2: its heartbreaking, but I keep saying to myself thats a bit longer we have to finish the yard and get everything ready. Not having an actual date makes it so much harder to count down too.... :clap:

Costasmum ~ I bought a bed from "Cheap As Chips" (thats a store in SA, not sure if they are interstate) it cost me $25 and has a removable cover for washing....

ZoesBed.jpg

it fits into a 36in crate, and kinda goes up the sides a bit, so its bit more snug. I got this as I know the pup might wee and poo on it while being TT, so I will get a better one later after the TT has been accomplished :(

Poomother ~ Welcome :thumbsup:

I wish there was a section on DOL that everyone could write in feedback for that company, bed, dog food, breeder, breed, transport, etc etc so the novices like most of us, could just have a look and see "Oh they are highly recommended I'll go there" or "No way am I spending money on them" it would make it so much easier.

I have been doing what I do best....thinking and worrying.....I keeping thinking we may never have the money to buy the French Bulldog I so desperately want. If we get the money can I justify spending so much on a pup. Wouldn't a cheaper breed we better....if I got a cheaper breed I could get one sooner....what happens if the pup gets sick like my last pup, I paid $1200 for her and only had her 8mths and most of that time she was ill, with vet bills we spent another $2,000+ on her and finally she was PTS.....I'm so scared of going through this again, of spending this amount of money for a pup and then medical bills and then the gut wrenching heartache at the end ;)

I wanted a Frenchie before we got our last pup, but it was so expensive, that I just got the same breed of dog we had before (who also died of cancer, though at 8yrs old) as we knew the breed and loved their temperament. I just don't want to make a big mistake, that I will regret for the rest of my life :happydance2: I hate thinking and worrying.....I wish I could just switch off my brain for a while and let time pass by.......

BF

Bluefairy I have to empathise with you. I too am a worryer and a thinker - I really think we make life so much harder for ourselves. I am getting an easily sourced breed but have still had setbacks and I don't have a date for a puppy yet. It must be so much more difficult with a harder to get/more expensive breed. You've had a lot of heartbreak with your animals in the past so I understand it must really make you worry. I had my mind set on one breed but have ended up changing but I'm happy with my decision now (due to a number of reasons - cost/medical issues in the breed/allergies in the family).

Try to stop "overthinking" things (easier said than done!) and just go with the flow for a while. I'm sure everything will work out in the end. Good luck (and you can always come here and vent anyway!).

Thanks Bluefairy - Yes it is probably a good idea to get a cheap one until he is toilet trained.

The crate arrived today all set up in the lounge room (except bedding). Bought it from ebay and I am really happy with it.

My plan is to have pup sleep in crate overnight in the lounge room. I heard it was easier to have them in the room with you for the first couple of nights and then move him into the lounge. I was actually thinking of keeping him in the lounge from the start and perhaps sleep in the lounge with him for the first couple of nights, so we don't have to move him. Anyone tried this?

Any new puppies arriving this week??

Costa's Mum

Thanks Bluefairy - Yes it is probably a good idea to get a cheap one until he is toilet trained.

The crate arrived today all set up in the lounge room (except bedding). Bought it from ebay and I am really happy with it.

My plan is to have pup sleep in crate overnight in the lounge room. I heard it was easier to have them in the room with you for the first couple of nights and then move him into the lounge. I was actually thinking of keeping him in the lounge from the start and perhaps sleep in the lounge with him for the first couple of nights, so we don't have to move him. Anyone tried this?

Any new puppies arriving this week??

Costa's Mum

Hi Costa's Mum - we had the same plans as you, to let Ava sleep in her crate in the lounge room. We set up her crate next to our current dog's bed in there. However, we've had her for two weeks now and she's been crated in the bedroom overnight since we got her :laugh:

Not only did she scream in the lounge room (our poor older dog had no idea what was happening), but I found that I couldn't hear her stirring during the night. That made me really paranoid, and I couldn't sleep! While she is still little, I feel better knowing that if she needs to go out, I will hear her and can get up and let her out.

Guest belgian.blue
My pup will be flown by Dogtainers, their who my breeder trusts so going with them :cry:

I have flown my girl with Dogtainers twice and not one problem at all. They will be my mode of transport for my next puppy without question.

Speaking of which .. will now be a Liver and White English Pointer. Deceided against another long hair breed and I grew up with Pointers, stunning loveable breed. My parents have an English Pointer at the moment and Ivy loves her. So she already knows the breed well hehe.

Possibly maybe having a boy flown over just after Easter, if I pick that breeder .. Which I'm thinking I will :laugh: He is four weeks old today and soooooo cute!

He seems like everything I'm looking for, in a pet.

Thinking about it, he was born exactly four months and twelve years after my first Black and White Pointer, Penny Lane. Her birthday is June 8th 1998 and he was born February 8th 2010.

Hi Costa's Mum,

We're picking up our pup tomorrow and still haven't made the final decision on crate location... tossing up between our bedroom and another area of the house where we plan to have him when he is home alone. I just want to comfort him for his first couple of nights away from his litter & mum! But also know we have to get him into a routine as quickly as possible.

I think we will see how he is when we get him home I think and then go from there, playing by ear is our plan.

Hope you can post some pics when your pup is home :-)

Sharna

Hiya everyone, sorry for the delay in reply. We're alive and well. My goodness what a weekend! We picked Boss up on Friday night and he and Lola got along like a house of fire. They didn't stop playing until around midnight. Poor Lola looked like she hadn't slept in a week. We're finding that Boss doesn't eat his food as quickly as Lola so that is proving to be a bit of a problem. Also he is a crier at night time. Friday night he woke up around 4 times (every hour from midnight), Saturday night woke up 4 times. From Friday night we worked out a bit of a program. Put Lola to bed at 9:00pm so that she can get a bit of a head start, then 9:30pm Boss has his warm puppy milk and a bit of a play (we have to try and keep him awake) then 10:00pm we put him to bed. We've found that if we do this he sleeps til 4:45am, take them both out for a toilet trip and then back to bed til 6am. Boss is now getting better with his crying (only now doing it for 15 mins before giving up and going to sleep).

It really did make us think just how wonderful of a puppy Lola is, from the very first night she slept from 10pm til 6am without a problem.

The joys of having two puppies

We're finding that Boss doesn't eat his food as quickly as Lola so that is proving to be a bit of a problem.

Congrats on your new puppy! It's great to have two dogs that enjoy each other's company.

I'd suggest feeding the puppies separately for the time being so that they don't have to compete. Ava and our older dog will try to eat each other's food if we feed them together (and the older dog always wins) so we feed her in her crate and him outside or in a different room. It's good to give them their own space when eating.

Hi Everyone

Hope you are all well. Puppies are looking fantastic. Fab collar Ruby.

Well we have had Flynn just over a week and he is a delight....he is doing really well and we are learning "puppy ways" very very quickly!

We are crate training him which is working very well. Our day (once school run is done etc and it's just me and Flynn) mainly consists of the following:

Every hour:

Wee run

Training/Play

In crate with filled kong for some serious chewing time

Nap

Wee run

Training/Play

In crate with filled kong for some serious chewing time

Nap

Wee run........

Between all of this, I try to keep the house going (shopping/cleaning etc) but it's not really working just yet. I have great intentions and put the ironing board up, but never quite have time to do any?! Anyone else having the same problem??

I bought two pieces of VetBed for the bottom of the crate, but once the rain stopped on Sunday he must have found it too warm and he was starting to scuff it up and sleep on the plastic. We took it out and we now have a towel in their instead and he is a lot happier. The VetBed is fab though. I use one by the patio door for wet paws and feet. I also have a Snooze bed for him when he is older.

Flynn is also doing the nipping around the ankles. We growl a firm NO and turn our backs on him if he doesn't stop. He is getting the message slowly.

At the moment I am stuffing his KONGS with some kibble (from his daily allowance) and filling it with warm water, then plug the little hole with a little bit of peanut butter and then freeze it. Any other ideas for a 9 week old?

Also, is anybody cleaning their puppy's teeth and if so any recommendations on what to use?

Thanks

Jules

Edited by Jules46