Cross Breeds- Breeding?

Cosmolo

After an interesting discussion in another topic i would like to know what DOLers think-

If breeders of cross breed dogs cared for their dogs, bred from healthy stock and provided information and support for puppy buyers- would this be 'okay'?

What would you need to be happy with cross breeds being bred or do you think they should NOT be bred at all, by anyone?

All perspectives welcome

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just my opinion and I don't know jack about breeding:

I don't understand why we need/want cross bred animals when there is already so many great breeds of dog to choose from...

My understanding is that pure bred dogs are bred to a standard and good breeders will health test etc to make sure the pups will be as close to the standard and healthy as possible...

With cross bred animals, you can't be sure of what you are going to get - the pups could have the best or the worst of what ever the original breeds are...

So back to my original point - why make more, when we are still perfecting the original??

I dont think crossbreeds should be bred at all.

BUT in saying that I doubt that the breeding of cross bred's is ever going to stop so if it has to be done then I would prefer they do everything you mentioned and more (like all GOOD registered breeders do) BUT that isnt very likely either is it? People generally only breed cross's for the money so when money is the aim I dont think people will put in that kind of effort.

Many mongrels i've known have out lived pure breds. though there are many strange lookig bitsas about.

I wouldn't do it myself though because there are too many dogs at pounds already, and peolpe tend to buy pure breds, so who are you selling to would be another question.

If both parents are of sound temprement and health checked, i can't see many issues. Though i'm not an expert, some others may have a more qualified opinion.

I dont see the need, there are pure breeds for every ones needs, x breeds can result in any look or any temperment, and there are very few that look good IMO

Why mess around with what is great in the first place

I would love it as i'm a big fan of crosses. The unpredictability and uniqueness is what I LOVE!

But as they are never bred responsibly then I will only source them from rescue.

If however they were ever being bred ethically I would be over the moon.

you can throw a packet of blue smarties and packet of red smarties into a container and shake them doesn't mean your going to get 2pks of purple smarties.

No, don't think xbreds should be bred at all, we have enough breeds as it is now, do we really need more?

The questions for me are:

• What is the purpose of the cross-breed?
  • What is the compatability of the dogs being crossed

Regardless of the temp and health of the parents the people breeding would need to be able to justify why they are doing the cross and what they hope to gain. They would need to justify that they have considered whether the dogs go together structurally and what may be the potential health issues caused by the cross. They would need to convince me that it's not just for money.

I think if people step onto the path of cross breeding it should be in the quest to develop a breed to eventually gain recognition from the ANKC.

I don't think someone continually breeding F1 crosses is ever a good thing, regardless of the quality / health / temperament of the breeding stock.

I like dogs that are/were bred for a reason. Whether that reason be for bringing bulls down, herding stock, catching rats or simply sitting on a lap. I love that over the generations, humans who bred these dogs have cared enough about them to carefully select their breeding stock to make the next generation just a little bit better than the last. I love that each breed has it's own unique traits that are bred for and preserved....even if the breed closely resembles another breed.

I love that the heritage of every single pedigree purebred is charted, registered and preserved for the future of that particular breed.

How is crossing the breeds going to be better than what's already gone before them?

Guest Kate_Summer

I think cross breeding crosses only creates more problems (to the dogs health as well as the already overpopulated dog population if that make sense).

Why would someone consider asking such question on a Pure bred dog forum is beyond my understanding. (I must be getting to old :laugh:)

What we like and we think is the best dog doesnt mean thats all it should be. If I have the right to breed the dogs and type of my choice then everyone should.Personally I would always consider them to be an inferior product and the breeders misguded but if its good for one it should be good for everyone.

I think this is in violation of the forum rules......... :laugh:

no - it isn't promoting cross breeds at all.

Cosmolo -= if they were doing these things and making intelligent crosses (ie working towards a standard, compatible breeds, bred for a real reason etc) then I wouldn't have a problem with them. That is how most breeds today have been developed.

I don't really have strong opinions either way, I've had a bitsa as have a lot of people and she was the healthiest dog we've ever had. Having said that I wouldn't say crosses or bitsas are healthier than pures it's much more of a lottery. From an ethical standpoint it's not really acceptable to have a 'luck of the draw' approach to breeding animals because the pups who draw the short straw are likely to end up in pounds or worse, if you were prepared to take responsibility for those unlucky pups and ensure they have a good life as well then perhaps the ethical implications could be negated - it's a big ask but then again we expect ethical breeders to take back any pups that have come onto hard times as well so it's a really interesting question.

The other aspect is when dogs of extremely different morphology and temperament are bred and the results can also impact on welfare, case in point a number of years ago my little chi who hadn't had the chop at that stage got to my sisters' shih-tsu x maltese and the resulting pups were of course very cute as all pups are and my sister saw $$$ she reluctantly let me have one and I gave it to my friends so I was able to see it grow up and keep track of her. She turned into a very strange looking little dog cute in her own way but she actually has a really badly protruding lower jaw which made it difficult for her to eat and she has a very fearful temperament so in her case she drew the very short straw and is lucky that my friends are sympathetic to her special needs. How many of her problems are due to the cross and how many are due to the poor quality of the parents is another question which would be interesting to pursue, it would be interesting to see the results of crosses which were carefully chosen to compliment each other. Such crosses are common in horses where it is a lot easier to find complimentary breeds to cross, although some people still insist on crossing very different breeds which is a welfare issue there as well.

I would like to see 2 of the oodles added to the list of ANKC breeds. A bigger one and a smaller one.

The public want these dogs. I would like to see them developed into a breed and bred properly.

It would eff up the puppy farms and the backyard breeders.

Most breeds were a cross bred at some stage so I don't see a problem in developing new breeds.

as a buyer i like pure bred dogs coz i know what im getting im always unsure when its comes to cross breeds.

my cousin and i hat a fight abut cross breeding a few days ago his got a pure bred staffy and a pure bred bull dog and he wants to bred them he has clicked that just because the mum and dad are pure that dosent make the pups they will always be a x dog.

his not the smartest cookie in the jar lol but love him anyway lol.

I would like to see 2 of the oodles added to the list of ANKC breeds. A bigger one and a smaller one.

The public want these dogs. I would like to see them developed into a breed and bred properly.

there are plenty of small fluffy dogs and big fluffy dogs, the public just have oodles rammed down their throats so they think they're the ONLY option out there. And considering the pricetag you cannot say it's because they're cheap or reliable at all

They wont be a breed, most that I've met are just odd. Random creations with no real aim, what is there to create?

Crossbreeding has a limited place in invention, creation and saving some lines of dogs. Just doing it for the sake of it ... why? Then why breed at all?