My Friend's Dog Is Here For A Play :)

FranVT

This is my friend's dog who was living with us when he was a lil fella, 8 - 16 weeksish, and he was a little gangly weirdo big-pawed thing, but check him out now! Woooooow! He is a monster! He's over for plays tonight while Atlas is away with the grandparents.

She was told that the father and mother are both bull arab / bull mastiff though my friend states that neither dog looks much alike (as happens with crosses). I can see so much ridgeback in him, what do you guys think? He's really lovely :cheer:

Permission to post pics, my friend is watching this thread with me with interest :vomit:

IMG_0506-1.jpg

IMG_0510-1.jpg

IMG_0512-1.jpg

IMG_0511.jpg

He has the most lovely personality too, he's a big sook, a big drooly softy! It's such a pity that Atlas will not allow other entire boys at our place because they played so well as youngsters :cheer: But yeah Atlas just won't have a bar of him they have big scary snarly fights through the fence so maybe sometime soon we'll take them to a neutral place like the beach or something and see if they can get along.

Oh and yes those are hygromas on his elbows, they're getting drained soon.

Not sure if they were the same thing but I was talking to a lady with wolfhounds who's dog had something similar (I think it was the same condition) on the elbows and she said it was best not to drain- too much risk to the joint capsule.... I am sure other big dog owners would be a better expert than me on this though.

Not very good at picking breeds but in flyball we would put his breed down as "big brown dog" (we also have little black dogs- both are rare and honorable breeds to own LOL)

Edited by woofenpup

Oh and yes those are hygromas on his elbows, they're getting drained soon.

Not sure if they were the same thing but I was talking to a lady with wolfhounds who's dog had something similar (I think it was the same condition) on the elbows and she said it was best not to drain- too much risk to the joint capsule.... I am sure other big dog owners would be a better expert than me on this though.

Don't waste your money draining them. Apply something like " Domoso" roll on anti-inflamatery, you can order it online through 'the vet shed' it's under Greyhound products.

Make sure he always has a soft place to lie, encourage him to use it. Most hygroma's will go away of their own accord. I too have heard don't get them drained for damaging the joint capsule, will only grow straight back then as well as potential other probs.

My guys have had hygroma's and all of healed on their own with just what I have done above. I have also found that after a course of anti-inflam's like Metacam or Rymadol ( for another issue) the hygroma healed shortly after.

Definitely looks to have some ridgie in there, my guess would be Bull Arab/ridgie cross.

Ridgie X :vomit:

Dunno what the cross is though?? Maybe a Lab or Mastiff x.

A lot of people tend to refer to large x bred hunting type dogs as 'Bull Arabs' (though I dont think true Bull Arabs are a cross?) so possibly he is crossed with something like that? Or even 2 Bull Arab types with Ridgie in both their backgrounds :cheer:

But I definitely see Ridgeback in there too :flame: