Purebred Labradoodle?

Nic oh lah

http://www.bestfriendsrescue.com/dogs.html - scroll down to see the flashing banner "i am a purebred" under which we see a scruffy white dog described as

"BARNEY is a very special boy .. the best way to describe him is a shaggy 2 years old LabraDoodle. "

Am I wrong to find this annoying? I'm in 2 minds - a little part of me thinks, oh well, that might get him adopted, whereas the more prevalent side of me thinks "why would people be promoting a "Designer Dog" as a purebred? Don't they have a problem with these BYB's producing glorified Mutts!"

I'm sure he's a lovely dog, and I love all dogs, they all deserve the same care and love, but really, if we don't want to promote Back-Yard sheisters, shouldn't we be calling a spade a spade? Should someone outright-lie to find this boy a home?

What are your opinions - harmless marketing ploy, or shameless lie that promote's DD's?

(just making it really clear, i'm not saying this dog doesn't deserve a home as much as a purebred or anything like that, i'm just wondering what other peoples thoughts are)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

http://www.bestfriendsrescue.com/dogs.html - scroll down to see the flashing banner "i am a purebred" under which we see a scruffy white dog described as
"BARNEY is a very special boy .. the best way to describe him is a shaggy 2 years old LabraDoodle. "

Am I wrong to find this annoying? I'm in 2 minds - a little part of me thinks, oh well, that might get him adopted, whereas the more prevalent side of me thinks "why would people be promoting a "Designer Dog" as a purebred? Don't they have a problem with these BYB's producing glorified Mutts!"

I'm sure he's a lovely dog, and I love all dogs, they all deserve the same care and love, but really, if we don't want to promote Back-Yard sheisters, shouldn't we be calling a spade a spade? Should someone outright-lie to find this boy a home?

What are your opinions - harmless marketing ploy, or shameless lie that promote's DD's?

(just making it really clear, i'm not saying this dog doesn't deserve a home as much as a purebred or anything like that, i'm just wondering what other peoples thoughts are)

this is a mistake, I think, if you look at the next dog, she has the same heading "I am a purebreed". so am giving this rescue the benefit of the doubt.

i saw this the other day too and was a little surprised.

The one under is labelled a maltese so the 'i am pure bred' tag is meant to be there and i'd say its meant to be there for the other one too.

I understand there is a registry for labradoodles but to me that dog doesn't look like what i've seen as the purebred labradoodles that are registered. A lil OT but does anyone have a pic of what the labradoodle register are trying to achieve, type wise? I'm curious.

And as much as I HATE BYB's and puppy farmers, not everyone producing a non-AKNC dog is a backyard shyster as you put it :rofl: .

There are ethical breeders producing White Shepards and Australian Bulldogs that aren't shysters - and yet their dogs aren't recognised by the AKNC 9neither are boerbuls, lurchers etc).

Definately a marketing ploy and hey if it gets the dog a home then it cant hurt right?

Half the dogs listed as pure dont look like what they are claimed to be be!

I think the red cattle dog Rex is the funniest, he looks to me to be very much pure so why they have him listed as a cattle cross yet the border collie that looks like its crossed with kelpie is a pure border collie...weird! :rofl:

If the dog is on a registery for its breed (even if it not the aknc) & has been bread under there regulations

of that body then it could be classed as pure.

But i also think untill the breed is reconised by the aknc then its not a pure breed, otherwise any byb can claim a pure breed.

Yeah, I mean, at the end of the day he's a cutie and I hope he finds a home. I just think it's stupid to try and appeal to people's vain pure-bred snobbiness when it's clearly not a purebred. In my opinon anyway. White Sheperds I think is a whole other story - I was of the impression they are a GSD but white? Please feel free to correct me so i don't go on thinking that and sound like a moron :rofl:

But really, a labradoodle is a labrador X poodle - so why not just write that! I almost choked trying not to laugh at my first night of obediance training the other night when we went round in a circle saying what type of dog's we had and a woman exclaimed very proudly (obviously trying to one-up all the others who had crossbreeds) that she was a proud owner of a Purebred Groodle. Oh and he has papers you know...... from pets paradise. That say he is a purebred groodle, and that he's vaccinated - lol. Since when is a vaccination certificate "paper's?"

Oh and i'm not saying all people cross-breeding are back-yard shysters, but alot are, and when we're talking petshop "designer dogs" i'd rather not have anyone glorify a mix-breed as a purebreed.

I understand there is a registry for labradoodles but to me that dog doesn't look like what i've seen as the purebred labradoodles that are registered. A lil OT but does anyone have a pic of what the labradoodle register are trying to achieve, type wise? I'm curious.

I think I looked here before I found DoL and got Cory instead.

Will delete if its against rules.

Edited to delete link cause I'm sure its against rules ... sorry.

Edited by MsBex

If the dog is on a registery for its breed (even if it not the aknc) & has been bread under there regulations

But i also think untill the breed is reconised by the aknc then its not a pure breed, otherwise any byb can claim a pure breed.

Then you would be discounting a lot of 'pure breeds' then.

These 'breeds' are not ANKC recognised to my knowledge;

Mini Foxy

Koolie

American Bulldog

White Shepherds

Curly Coated Retriever (not 100%v sure on this one... I am sure someone will advise me of those I am wrong on anyway :thumbsup: )

American Water Spaniel

and many, many, many others.

To my knowledge though, all of the above are recognised under other registries.

She is stunning. If you list her on a rescue site i don't care if you call her purebred or not - i'll take her - lol.

I think people are missing my point - I don't care if they're registered with ANKC or whoever, it's a cross - Labrador X Poodle - crossbreed, i dont care who registers what, in my mind it's not a purebred dog, so shouldn't be called one! Simple.

A White GSD is a White GSD, not a White Ant X GSD that you've invented a jazzy new name for.

And anyway, people have said he doesn't even look like a "labradoodle". If I permed my hair at work and did my best not to make others sneeze would i then be a Para-legal-oddle-doodle? :thumbsup:

People - you do not have Groodles - you have mutt's, wonderful loveable special trainable loved and glorious mutts. Why do you have to give them a stupid name to make it not sound like a mutt! It's not me judging crossbreeds - it's the people that own these dogs that are doing the judging, that's why they give them these ridiculous names. Just be happy with your crossbreed, and don't buy into this stupid "DD" fad that has moron's lined up outside petstores.

Edited by NicGSDlover

If there is something on a site which you think is incorrect, or wrong. email them and tell them. Fair trading has rules about ads, and they must be truthful - whether it is a rescue dog or not is unimportant, what is important is that it is wrong.

Some of the breeds listed earlier are breeds. To even be considered a purebred, no matter what registry, the dog must be at least the 4th cross of purebred parents.

The majority of Labramutts don't qualify, so the advertiser is misleading those who read the ads.

The fact that the dog needs a new home doesn't cut much ice with me - there are purebreds and crossbreds.

Mini Foxy

Koolie

American Bulldog

White Shepherds

Curly Coated Retriever (not 100%v sure on this one... I am sure someone will advise me of those I am wrong on anyway :thumbsup: )

American Water Spaniel

I was going to say coolie as well but you had it there, some spell it with a c, some with a k. And two breeders I know who breed coolies do so what would be considered ethically if they were ANKC breeders.

I think, but I'm not 100% sure, that curly coated retreivers are ANKC recognised, but Murry River coated retrievers (Or a name like that) aren't

She is stunning. If you list her on a rescue site i don't care if you call her purebred or not - i'll take her - lol.

I think people are missing my point - I don't care if they're registered with ANKC or whoever, it's a cross - Labrador X Poodle - crossbreed, i dont care who registers what, in my mind it's not a purebred dog, so shouldn't be called one! Simple.

A White GSD is a White GSD, not a White Ant X GSD that you've invented a jazzy new name for.

And anyway, people have said he doesn't even look like a "labradoodle". If I permed my hair at work and did my best not to make others sneeze would i then be a Para-legal-oddle-doodle? :thumbsup:

People - you do not have Groodles - you have mutt's, wonderful loveable special trainable loved and glorious mutts. Why do you have to give them a stupid name to make it not sound like a mutt! It's not me judging crossbreeds - it's the people that own these dogs that are doing the judging, that's why they give them these ridiculous names. Just be happy with your crossbreed, and don't buy into this stupid "DD" fad that has moron's lined up outside petstores.

White Ants and GS dogs are different species but I'm sure you realise this. Today's dog breeds (whether you love them or not) are 'arbitrary' classifications which are historically specific, and rigidly maintained and policed. Yesterday's mutt is today's "breed". While I strongly oppose the commercial exploitation of dogs for profit that characterises the so-called designer dogs, I can't help but be amused by the claim that the name labradoodle is any more "stupid" or "ridiculous" than any number of pure dog breed names. The name indicates the breeds that went into creating the dog in question. How's that any more studid than naming a breed after its place of origin, its function or its appearance? Not sure I'd ever be able to say Dandy Dinmont with a straight face.

The dog in question was a surrender. Maybe the previous owner could provide proof (even if you disagree with the validity of that proof) of its status as a "pure" labradoodle.

Di

Edited by Di*

Mini Foxy

Koolie

American Bulldog

White Shepherds

American Water Spaniel

Curly coats have been on ANKC for many many many years

White shepherds ANKC

Mini Foxy yes as a Tenterfield Terrier(there is a group that still stay as the mini foxy so no there not ANKC

American water spaniel is AKC & easily placed on ANKC if imported here

White Ants and GS dogs are different species but I'm sure you realise this.

Thank you for clearing that up for me. :thumbsup:

You're entitled to your opinion as am I. I'm not some cross-breed hating dog snob - i'm down at my local shelter every weekend helping the crossbreed and purebreed dogs that are there for whatever reason. In my opinion this is a crossbreed dog that someone is promoting as a purebreed, in this instance to get it adopted, though this kind of thing is synonymous in my mind with BYB and Designer Dogs, therefore i dont want to see it supported.

You can be amused all you want by my claim that passing off cross breeds as purebred dogs is stupid, but i'm not amused about being one of the many volunteers giving up their time and money to help the abandoned and abused victim's of irresponsible pet owners that are encouraged to buy these fluffy "purebred" mixes when they're touted as the next big thing in breeding.

Edited by NicGSDlover