Purebred Labradoodle?

Nic oh lah

The majority of "Labradoodles" we deal with are simply Lab X poodle, I have seen pedigrees for a couple that were "labradoodle X Labradoodle" but mostly they are first crosses. I am yet to see any sort of type emerging, they are all so very different not only in coat.

Personally I think those trying to establish the breed in earnest need to do a name change.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is it really a big deal in the scheme of things?? :thumbsup: Sorry- unlike a lot of you good folk, I don't deal daily with all the Cr@p associated with breeds being wrongly represented, so don't know...

So- the dog may find a home because of its alleged breeding... so may the border collie who looks a crossbreed.

I don't see from info on that site that this rescue group is PROMOTING the oodle breeds....they are probably repeating what they were told by the dog's owners, and trying to find him a home.

maybe , if the rescue organisation is contacted, someone can explain to them the need to not encourage purchase of these dogs for the reasons we all know..and to pass on that info to the poodleXlab's new owners?

Personally I think those trying to establish the breed in earnest need to do a name change.

So do I!! I cringe whenever I hear of it, being that I was working at the facility which bred the first ones... all those years ago..and was looking after them.. and thinking how terrific a job we were doing :thumbsup:

No, it's not that big of a deal which is why I posted it on here for some healty discussion instead of contacting the rescue organisation to have a rant - at the end of the day I hope he finds a good home, whether or not i find it irritating that he's being, in my opinion, falsely represented.

My baby dog Yoshi is a Labradoodle... We did a lot of research before buying him, and to be honest, I would have loved to get a standard poodle (As we have now). During our research we found out a lot of info regarding labradoodles. There is a governing body in Australia (www.laa.org.au). We found a breeder through this website. My Yoshi dog is a PAL 4 LBD which means that if the breed ever is recognised, he would be recognised as a "purebred" LBD (I know I got a crossbreed and would never consider him a purebred). The LAA has a huge section on their breeding standards, and the critera we had to meet to get Yoshi was unreal - Im still in contact with the breeder, and she only has a little every 12-15 months with her girl, and she is part of the family.

Ooh - found this... Australian Labradoodle Abbreviations

ALF 1-6 = Australian Labradoodle Foundation dogs, the number refers to the generation.

PAL = Purebred Australian Labradoodle, any numbers following PAL would refer to generation. Purebred occurs after ALF6.

TBH as a owner, I wouldnt be advertising them as purebreeds.. :S They arent! I knew what we were getting into when we got Yoshi... :thumbsup:

PS - He has a wool coat, and is in the picture to the left <--

If there is something on a site which you think is incorrect, or wrong. email them and tell them. Fair trading has rules about ads, and they must be truthful - whether it is a rescue dog or not is unimportant, what is important is that it is wrong.

Some of the breeds listed earlier are breeds. To even be considered a purebred, no matter what registry, the dog must be at least the 4th cross of purebred parents.

The majority of Labramutts don't qualify, so the advertiser is misleading those who read the ads.

The fact that the dog needs a new home doesn't cut much ice with me - there are purebreds and crossbreds.

Can you quote a source for that? I am curious to see where it comes from as in all the research I have done, and all the discussions on DOL, I have never seen this stated anywhere as being true and fact.

Curly coats have been on ANKC for many many many years

White shepherds ANKC

Mini Foxy yes as a Tenterfield Terrier(there is a group that still stay as the mini foxy so no there not ANKC

American water spaniel is AKC & easily placed on ANKC if imported here

I am not sure the Tenterfield Breeders would agree with you on that point. They maintain that they are completely different dogs.

Edited by ~Anne~

I am not sure the Tenterfield Breeders would agree with you on that point. They maintain that they are completely different dogs.

I now but that was the choice they had to get ANKC approval & why there are 2 factors.

We all now the mini foxy looks nothing like the name sake

No, it's not that big of a deal which is why I posted it on here for some healty discussion instead of contacting the rescue organisation to have a rant - at the end of the day I hope he finds a good home, whether or not i find it irritating that he's being, in my opinion, falsely represented.

I dont think this rescue group are trying to deceive anyone ....... crosses are described as such, except this one. But we ARE giving them lots of attention, and thats a good thing for these furbubs needing homes.

I dont think this rescue group are trying to deceive anyone ....... crosses are described as such, except this one. But we ARE giving them lots of attention, and thats a good thing for these furbubs needing homes.

Hehe - maybe that was my plan all along :angel: Here's hoping they all have homes really soon.

The majority of "Labradoodles" we deal with are simply Lab X poodle, I have seen pedigrees for a couple that were "labradoodle X Labradoodle" but mostly they are first crosses. I am yet to see any sort of type emerging, they are all so very different not only in coat.

Totally agree with all you have said Crisovar.

Especially important to note that a lot of the LAA dogs are a mixture of several breeds not just lab/poodles.

How can the rescue tell the difference between a lab/poodle cross (first gen and definitely NOT purebred) and a multi-gen LAA type "labradoodle" that has several different breeds in it? A purebred labradoodle is an oxymoron IMO.

Wow there are a lot of "purebred"s on that site!! :angel:

I have wondered about this kind of thing before- if it works for the DD brigade why not use the same terminology for rescue dogs?

I suspect some people might be more likely to buy a (cheaper) Labradoodle or Spoodle from a rescue organisation than a pet shop.

For one thing, (and I am not condoning DD puppy farming etc) there will always be people who feel that they cant find exactly what they are after in any one breed. I can understand wanting a lab but not wanting the hair everywhere and also not liking poodles.

Why not take advantage of this demand, call the crosses DD names and solve the surplus of lab x poodles etc in pounds? :laugh:

The bottom line is that in the absence of a known sire or dam what this dog is crossed with is unknown.

Dogs should be placed in homes on the basis of what IS known.

I don't believe in perpetuating the myth that this dog is of known parentage or that it is a breed. Both are misleading.

Edited by poodlefan

Hehe - maybe that was my plan all along :hug: Here's hoping they all have homes really soon.

ahhah!!! an evil plan!!!! :hug:

by all means email, I have called the group in question and sent messages previously about dogs being advertised as purebred that obviously were not, one was a "purebred mastiff" which quite obviously was not and I believe it was posted about by someone here also. No responce.

I called about a "purebred cavoodle" listed on the private adoptions and was told since the owner thinks it's purebred they won't bother changing the details and what does it matter so long as the dog gets a home. They did say though that they do list dogs they have up for adoption as being XYZ cross rather than a designer name nd that certainly seems to have been the norm for quite a while.

I have friends within the rescue group, and they do some great work, but our ethics on some issues are different - not saying wrong at all, just different

ETA - also worth mentioning that the site is done by a vollunteer who also does 4 other rescue websites, so if something slips past the innitial edit it's not likely a high priority to change it unless it's a big error.

ETA2 - gosh he sounds like a lovely dog doesn't he? Cute scruffer too :hug:

Edited by Kissindra

it's a nice website

i don't know why that cattledog is marked as cattledog x, looks like it's all cattledog to me

and i can't see coolie in the dog of the week, nice dog though! i think maybe because it had blue eyes? But other dogs have blue eyes

Then you would be discounting a lot of 'pure breeds' then.

These 'breeds' are not ANKC recognised to my knowledge;

Mini Foxy

Koolie

American Bulldog

White Shepherds

Curly Coated Retriever (not 100%v sure on this one... I am sure someone will advise me of those I am wrong on anyway :thumbsup: )

American Water Spaniel

and many, many, many others.

To my knowledge though, all of the above are recognised under other registries.

Curly coats have been on ANKC for many many many years

White shepherds ANKC

Mini Foxy yes as a Tenterfield Terrier(there is a group that still stay as the mini foxy so no there not ANKC

American water spaniel is AKC & easily placed on ANKC if imported here

The White Swiss Shepherd is now ANKC recognised, however there are still many breeders of White Shepherds (NON-ANKC) and there are at least 2 (I believe) White Shepherd clubs in Australia. To be ANKC registered, the dog must have at least 5 generations of White Swiss Shepherd in it's pedigree and no GSD.

In some ways, the fact the word 'purebred' is added shows that 'purebred' dogs are still highly sought after.... that at least is a positive at any rate.

I never sdvertised my rescue Pugs as pure or not pure. I never felt the need. They were simply just Pugs. In fact, I really can't recall anyone seeking specifically a pedigreed Pug even. :thumbsup:

So do I!! I cringe whenever I hear of it, being that I was working at the facility which bred the first ones... all those years ago..and was looking after them.. and thinking how terrific a job we were doing :thumbsup:

I thought they were being produced by the Guide Dogs? Who now call the breed that they developed "Australian Service Dogs"? Don't quote me on that.