Purebred Labradoodle?

Nic oh lah

Personally I think those trying to establish the breed in earnest need to do a name change.

So do I!! I cringe whenever I hear of it, being that I was working at the facility which bred the first ones... all those years ago..and was looking after them.. and thinking how terrific a job we were doing :thumbsup:

I thought they were being produced by the Guide Dogs? Who now call the breed that they developed "Australian Service Dogs"? Don't quote me on that.

Thats true. They were mainly bred to be service dogs and alot of them have been trained to do just that. In the USA there is an organisation that gets the dogs from the founder and trains them and places them in homes where they are needed to help out the disabled.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To my knowledge, the Royal Guide Dogs Association trashed the breeding program some years back as they could not get conformity among the off-spring. I also believe that to this day, this has not been achieved and is no nearer to happening than it was when the Blind Society started the original breeding program approx 20 years ago. However, they (the LAA) do have a standard of sorts and the breed is registered on a registry for specific puporses, and that is to have it as a recongised breed and to breed dogs true to type.

Edited by ~Anne~

Clearly and unfortunately this rescue group are trying to rip off the general public by using the public's naivity (sp?) to their financial advantage - by conning people into purchasing something that they "believe" is purebred, but isn't. It is sad as it puts this group in the same league as a petshop. Either that or there is a distinct lack of dog knowledge in those that prepare the website.

Hmm I wonder if someone were to take them to task over the "false advertising" held on their website where they would end up?

Firstly advertising the labradoodle as a purebred.... He certainly doesn't look like he comes close to anything more than a crossbreed and one that would shed everywhere at that. My understanding is the more generations the closer they are to a poodle coat (correct me if I am wrong).

"To my knowledge, the Royal Blind Society trashed the breeding program some years back as they could not get conformity among the off-spring. I also believe that to this day, this has not been achieved and is no nearer to happening than it was when the Blind Society started the original breeding program approx 20 years ago." - I have seen many, many, Labradoodles and less Groodles at dog training. Barely any were alike - different sizes, and coats that ranged from shaggy steel wool type coat (that were usually unkept and matted) through scruffy like this guy, to a poodle type and finally a very odd short-haired one that looks like a fine labrador with sparse and individual long hairs poking out all over it - fortunately the owner adored it. Most were very clever but very active and generally unruly as they were not suited to the owners lifestyle/abilities. Oh and then there is the several with hip displaysia....

To advertise a Bull Arab as pure is sheer lunacy. Not only is it a crossbreed, it is a crossbreed of several types - a regular bitza. And even moreso over time as people trial other breeds in it to see which makes a better pig hunter (adding wolfhound, pitty, etc).

The BC certainly doesn't look purebred either....

I agree with poodlefan, if you don't have the papers, don't say purebred. It is misleading and that is not what rescue is trying to portray.

There's no reason to make a bit flash about it being "purebred" - unless it somehow has proof.

Disappointing to see a rescue seemingly openly and willingly trying to mislead the public. That gets me on my goat a bit.

R

Clearly and unfortunately this rescue group are trying to rip off the general public by using the public's naivity (sp?) to their financial advantage - by conning people into purchasing something that they "believe" is purebred, but isn't. It is sad as it puts this group in the same league as a petshop. Either that or there is a distinct lack of dog knowledge in those that prepare the website.

This is how I feel. Why do people jump up and down if a pet shop advertises that way to sell a puppy, but if a rescue does the same thing it is suddenly ok?

Looking at the labradoodle websites it seems that the main thing missing is that they don't seem to have shows, there isn't much point doing up an official-looking standard if there is no way of checking dogs against that standard. The Australian white shepherds had their own shows which shows that they are serious about the future of the breed and the quality of the dogs they are breeding. Say what you want about showing but in this respect they serve a very useful purpose in setting the standard and encouraging compliance to the standard, and I think that this would be a good start if they really want to establish them as a breed.

Clearly and unfortunately this rescue group are trying to rip off the general public by using the public's naivity (sp?) to their financial advantage - by conning people into purchasing something that they "believe" is purebred, but isn't. It is sad as it puts this group in the same league as a petshop.

Ok - it may come as a shock seeing as i started the thread, but i completely disagree with this statment - firstly I dont think the rescue is trying to make money off the unsuspecting public, i think they are mis-informed or blatently telling fibs to find this dog a home. I don't think it's done with malice and to make big $$$$, and would'nt suggest they are anything like a petshop, though I do feel that they are somewhat supporting the DD trade and therefore petshops by proposing that a crossbreed dog is a "designer" purebreed.

I agree with poodlefan, if you don't have the papers, don't say purebred. It is misleading and that is not what rescue is trying to portray.

There's no reason to make a bit flash about it being "purebred" - unless it somehow has proof.

I agree!! It only makes the new owner look like an ignoramus too when they tell people that they have a pure bred Shih Tzu for example, and the dog is ten feet tall with a 4 inch nose :cry:

I can't tell you how many rescues I groom where the group/pound has told the owner they have a pure bred when it's clear that they don't. People then get offended when you tell them that their "Shih Tzu" is more likely a JRT X Malt.

Definately a marketing ploy and hey if it gets the dog a home then it cant hurt right?

Half the dogs listed as pure dont look like what they are claimed to be be!

I think the red cattle dog Rex is the funniest, he looks to me to be very much pure so why they have him listed as a cattle cross yet the border collie that looks like its crossed with kelpie is a pure border collie...weird! :cry:

I thought the same thing! The red heeler looks pure, yet the border collie doesn't!

Looking at the labradoodle websites it seems that the main thing missing is that they don't seem to have shows, there isn't much point doing up an official-looking standard if there is no way of checking dogs against that standard. The Australian white shepherds had their own shows which shows that they are serious about the future of the breed and the quality of the dogs they are breeding. Say what you want about showing but in this respect they serve a very useful purpose in setting the standard and encouraging compliance to the standard, and I think that this would be a good start if they really want to establish them as a breed.

Given that their current "standard" allows a vast array of heights and coat types, I'd defy any judge to be able to award against "breed type". A standard that allows anything and everything is one in name only.

Looking at the labradoodle websites it seems that the main thing missing is that they don't seem to have shows, there isn't much point doing up an official-looking standard if there is no way of checking dogs against that standard.

I agree.

And showing, in relation to a standard, requires it be within reasonably narrow boundaries. But that doesn't seem sorted yet with the 'labradoodle'.

Clearly and unfortunately this rescue group are trying to rip off the general public by using the public's naivity (sp?) to their financial advantage - by conning people into purchasing something that they "believe" is purebred, but isn't. It is sad as it puts this group in the same league as a petshop.

Ok - it may come as a shock seeing as i started the thread, but i completely disagree with this statment - firstly I dont think the rescue is trying to make money off the unsuspecting public, i think they are mis-informed or blatently telling fibs to find this dog a home. I don't think it's done with malice and to make big $$$$, and would'nt suggest they are anything like a petshop, though I do feel that they are somewhat supporting the DD trade and therefore petshops by proposing that a crossbreed dog is a "designer" purebreed.

The point was that the public are being lied to to get the dog into a home, the dollar amount is immaterial. Whether it is being sold for profit or sold to cover the costs it is the same thing, the dog is being promoted as something it is not. What is wrong with honesty? If someone has to be told a lie to buy the dog are they the right home anyway?