12 Yr Old Golden Retreiver Coughing Up Blood

indigirl

I minding a friends 12yr old golden retriever named Reg. Ive minded him before with no problems. Thursday night i fed him his dry food then noticed he stole a meaty bone from Karma, but didnt worry about it as ive fed him raw bones lots of times before with no worry. Plus his owner gives him bones regularly.

Early hours of Friday morning he threw up twice. But was otherwise fine, so i cleaned it up. Got home from work and he'd thrown up a few more times. Didnt feed him last night thought id give his belly a rest.

Heard him coughing during the night last night, got up to him and he was fine just coughing. This mornin he has coughed up some blood! We are off to the vet in an hour or so but now im really worried! Im freaking out the bone he ate thursday night has torn his stomach? That will mean surgery wont it?

Edited by indigirl

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You'll really only know once you've been to the Vet. It could be that the bone has aggravated something - it might not be a case of surgery as perhaps the Vet will determine that the problem is minor. I hope so. So take a deep breath and hang in there. Blood doesn't always have to indicate super serious stuff, but it always pays to have it checked out.

Take his owner's phone number with you, in case you need to get consent (unless you already have authority for it). But let's keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best. :cry:

The good thing is that he's under your care and that he is receiving the attention that he needs.

Well finally back from the vets. I let him out to go to the loo while I got dressed to take him to the vet. When I went to put him in the car I found him covered in blood. It was all over his legs and dripping out of his mouth and nose. Raced him to the vet who immediately asked me had he been exposed to ratsack or similar. I never have anything like that on my property. Vet then thought maybe a tumor in his lungs has ruptured. He continued to bleed everywhere.

Took me an hour or so to get onto his owner, who told me she had put ratsack down under furtniture outside, but had tradesmen in doing work this week and they had moved some of her furniture. So it was possible Reg had eaten some. Vet immediatly started treating him for ratsack poisoning. Owner is beside herself and on her way back home.

Reg is still bleeding but the bleeding has slowed down considerably. He has been weitn me since Wed PM so he injested the ratsack at least 3 days ago. He isalso running a high fever so has some kind of infection. I am just hoping and praying his organs have not been damaged by bleeding. I feel so irresponsible for not taking him to the vet yesterday when he vomited, but my own dogs often throw up and its never anything sinister.

I am going to have to try and wash some of the blood off him - his front legs and his chest are red, as his owner will freak if she sees him like that. Talk about a stressful morning!

Gosh lucky you were onto it early! It's Warfarin so it stops their blood clotting. The doses are fairly low though and even rats and mice have to eat several doses of it before they are sick enough to die.

Is he with you or at the vet?

Hes at home with me, I wont leave my dogs at the vet. If he needed to be on a drip I would just have brought him home on a drip. One of the advantages of living in the sticks i guess! I havent left his side as hes more settled when im with him poor old fella.

Hes lying on the lougeroom floor bleeding happily away lol

Shite-

Keep him very cool and still...

*fingers crossed*

if he is bleeding so much it doesn't sound good.

Guess he's had a truckload of vit K .. here's hoping it will work!!

I thought he'd be on a drip ...poor old fella.

:rofl: for you- what a worry.

The owner will be very distressed :rofl:

Hes at home with me, I wont leave my dogs at the vet. If he needed to be on a drip I would just have brought him home on a drip. One of the advantages of living in the sticks i guess! I havent left his side as hes more settled when im with him poor old fella.

I'm so glad you got onto it early, *healing vibes* for Reg.

He's not on a drip so this comment isn't such a problem... but i think it's a bit odd that you would take a dog home that requires a drip - Do you know how to fix the drip if it blew? do you know how to set the drip to the right levels if something happens to the power? do you know how to change the fluid bag if it runs out? What about getting air out of the lines? Unless you have some veterinary experience - as far as using i/v fluids - i don't think you'd be doing your dog (or your friends dog in this case) any favours. If you do have veterinary experience than i understand.. but even then, if my dog required fluids i'd much prefer them in a vet clinic where any emergency can be treated immediately with the equipment in the clinic.... sorry to be off topic, i just thought the comment was interesting.