Who Wants To Share Their 'doggy' Credentials?

MsBex

I found DOL about 18 months back when searching for my first dog, and have been haunting these forums regularly for the last 8 months now. In that time I've utilised the collective expertise of so many of you, in my efforts to do the right thing in choosing and raising our family dog. I've also become familiar with so many of your writing styles and 'temperaments' :laugh:.

But now I'm interested (and if I am, then surely others are) in how you acquired said knowledge and expertise. Are you a pet owner for 25 yrs, owning multiple dogs and multiple breeds? Or a newly credited dog trainer? A vet/breeder/groomer? A noob like myself?

Purely for interests sake, so feel free to add to the thread or let it fade into cyber oblivion :D

Me? Always had a dog as a child, however have now learnt being responsible for a dog is something entirely different. Learning something new every day.

I have had weimaraners for 18 years and was dog obsessed for about that long too. I learned all I could about my favourite breed (English Setters) but when I got them i learned a whole lot more (particularly that temperaments arent always by the book!)

I would say i have done most of my learning about conformation and grooming since I got my first setter and started showing... stepped up my learning when I got my weimaraner bitch but as yet have not had any experience with raising a litter since I was 8 (and lets face it i didn't do any raising back then!)

I also really like to learn, and dogs aremy number one interest, so I am pretty much like a sponge when it comes to learning. If only I had that sort of interest in school!!

Edited by SparkyTansy

I also really like to learn, and dogs aremy number one interest, so I am pretty much like a sponge when it comes to learning. If only I had that sort of interest in school!!

Learning is so much easier when your interested! Usually do so much better in my history papers that I LOVE than English papers I can't stand!! Dogs are so much more fun to study than paperwork anyway :D

ima noooob :D

only had dogs of my own since sept 08 and now i have two [since 10/09] ... i'm obssessed now and learning every day!

dogs be priceless bundles of life and i wanna do all i can to ensure their happiness and security...

Sounds so similar to my story! Love your signature pics :laugh:

Sophie is the first dog that's been "mine" as in, my first dog since married and not living with my parents.

I grew up with GSD's and rescue mutts, we have quite the menagerie on our farm in NZ, including countless dogs and cats at any given time, chickens, sheep, goats and my horse :laugh: Mum was an Obediance Instructor and our "best" GSD Jake went on to be recruited into NZ Police after becoming Obed. and Agility Champ - he needed a job, and my parents had me and 2 little brothers, so it was a perfect fit for him. Then moved to Aus, 1cat and 1dog in a suburban yard was quite a shock to the system. And the dog is a mutt of mutts - bought at a pet store in a shopping centre when we'd only been in the country a few months, and to be honest didn't know better - all our dogs in NZ were breeder dogs etc, and to think back I can't recall that pets were sold in our home town out of stores, so honestly, we didn't know any better. Anyway - she's a stupid mutt that is untrainable and much loved.

Now I have Sophie and she's my dream dog, and I can't wait to mooch off everyone else's knowledge!

I got my 1st Standard Poodle nearly 30 years ago, and have been a regsistered breeder for 16 years. Now I think that life without a Poodle is like a broken pencil - pointless :laugh:

ETA - I'm also a trained Dog Obedience Instructor - but that doesn't mean MY dogs are well-behaved!

Edited by poodlemum

In my early teens I used to go to the stables of the local hunt (I'm a Yorkshie woman and going grey :laugh: ), I used to help with the hounds and the Wire Haired Fox Terriers. I really took to the foxies. When I was 17ish the wife of the Huntmaster gave me a WHFT bitch, Nena. The woman (also a friend of my Mum's), became my mentor. She advised me initially on how to train and care for a pup. As time went on she advised with reading the Pedigree papers and choosing a good stud for my bitch. She advised on the whelping and the need to sometimes assist the mother dog by feeding the pups with a syringe. She then went to to advise on selling the pups on and home/people checking. She was a fantasic person. I kept one of Nena's (she only had three litters in her lifetime) bitches (Mitzi) had a litter from Mitzi and then left the dogs with Mum as I married and lived around the world. In our house we always had dogs, cats, birds, mice, rabbits, tadpoles - only thing Mum would not let me have was a white rat :D

I did not have a pet of any kind for 8 years, but once I arrived back in the UK I got a cat, and then I rescued a dog from the local pound. He was a poodle x bichon. When I came bak to Aus I looked out for a mini poodle who was looking for a home and finally bought a 2 yr old whose parents were going overseas to live. I had him until he was 15.5. My latest dog the WHFT Zedley, came to me via DOL. As I knew and understand the breed I was approached and asked if I could give this lad a home. He is ex show/stud and was 2 when he flew from NSW to WA and my welcoming home. I think he is very happy as a house dog, he is now 7 and has become my shadow :D

I have had dogs my whole life, mostly gundogs up until recently.

My aunt was a breeder of CKCS for many years and I helped her out and so began my desire to one day breed dogs. I also spent a little bit of time helping at a boarding kennel/cattery and vets owned by my best friends mother.

It took awhile to finally get around to showing, the chance was given to me by my MIL and her Newfies at the same time I was working as a vet nurse.

After showing the Newf's for a little while I decided that I was really interested in showing a breed of my choosing and eventually got my first Samoyed Mistral and meeting a very good friend on the breed who really helped me out titling my beautiful boy and teaching me about the breed in general.

I now have my beautiful little girl and am hoping to get my prefix sorted out in the near future.

Not exactly the longest history but I am only 24 :eek:

Edited by Wolfsong

Parents had Dachshunds when we were kids living at home... Grand parents had Crogi's who they show/breed and 40 or so years later they still do... Im the 3rd Gen in the family showing/breeding But i went with a different breed LoL..

I have been showing for about 3 years ment some wonderful ppl and soon to breed my frist litter sometime this year...

ill always be a noob as every day i learn something new!!

Edited by TeamSnag

Always had dogs. I don't remember a time when I didn't have one!! There was a period after I broke up with my ex that I didn't have a dog for 18 months.. nearly damn killed me :eek: Growing up though, we mostly rescued dogs though. My dad either founds strays or go to the local pound to bring home. Although, we did a German Shepherd Dog, she was a failed police dog, that my dad simply fell in love and kept. She was an awesome dog (despite having a little DA).

I had 2 huskies with my ex (they are still with him).. they were a introduction of spitz breed for me. They really did keep me fit, those 2!

Charlie is my first (and probably only) small dog and also puppy I've ever owned. So, learning puppy things and small breed dogs is quite interesting for me. Learning new stuff every single day.

I'm going to do a Dog Training course this year. Something I've always wanted to do but never got around on doing it. Also, I want to get into rescuing but I have to wait till my life is back on track before I can start doing that.

I've grown up with dogs and it wasn't until I was 14 and was allowed to choose our next dog that I really became dog crazy. After all my research I chose a gold cocker who ended up loving my stepdad more than me. :eek:

When I moved out of home the first thing I did was get a dog. I got a shepherd x kelpie from the RSPCA. He was an obedience drop out but I was hooked. :D So I researched again and got a golden from a breeder who was an old family friend of my OH. We both did great at obedience and they asked me to be an instructor. I went to lots of lectures and courses and was tutored by some of the best trainers in Sydney. But having all that experience I still make mistakes with my dogs. :p Dog behaviour is something that really fascinates me and I love reading heaps of books on the subject.

I wanted to make dogs my career so I started learning to groom at a grooming salon on my days off and weekends while working at PP (I know, I have reformed :p ).

I trained for 2 years as a groomer before starting my own salon. When I was pregnant with my first child I left dog training (Too hard to bend over to teach a drop to a puppy :mad )

I have been a groomer for 12 years, but sold my Brisbane salon a couple of years ago due to nerve damage in both wrists from grooming. :( I miss it everyday. My poor Shih Tzu Daisy has had every hairstyle imaginable. :rofl:

Now I am looking at getting my first show dog and about to learn a whole new dog sport and I can't wait. :D

IHave always had dogs and horses, have had newfs and multiple dogs since the 1980's. I will always have one rescue newf in my household

Always been interested in having obedient well trained dogs. have had working dogs also since the eighties, Kelpies, to work sheep.....

And my parents bred GSD's for the RAAF, Army and Police. My Dad was an Instructor too (very old fashioned :mad)

I am now interested in obedience, but not really trialling and cannot wait for Rally O (obedience) to get off the ground in Australia, what a great way to do obedience :eek:

Edited by newfsie

My family had dogs of various shapes and sizes from long before I was born. As a baby, my constant companion was a Smooth Fox Terrier named "Skippy". He used to lay at the bottom of my bouncinette and I would push off him with my feet to bounce myself apparently! :eek:

When I left home, I purchased a Mini Poodle which I gave to my first MIL when I moved in with my then boyfriend but subsequently first husband. In 1986 we purchased our first American Cocker and started exhibiting and breeding. In 1996, the marriage ended and after some time spent in the USA working as an assistant to a professional show dog handler, I registered my own prefix and met my second husband. 1997 saw the arrival of our first Staffordshire Bull Terrier.

Between children, house moves, moving interstate and a whole lot of other excitement, I have stayed breeding and exhibiting dogs. I'm not as "gung-ho" as I used to be but I'll keep showing and breeding until the fire in the belly disappears completely.

At first I thought this thread was titled "Who wants to share their dodgy credentials" and I was all set to dazzle you LMAO

Had dogs all my life. Have owned a mutt, a Cavalier King Charles and a Cocker spaniel and shared houses with people with a range of breeds, before meeting a dalmatian X mastiff who belonged to a friend of mine. He was pure white and called Kimba - the best dog I'd ever met. He could stand with his paws over my shoulders and was as gentle as a lamb and incredibly loyal. I fell in love with dalmatians after that and am now on to my 6th dally. One of my dallys was with me for almost 19 years. Oh and that same dally won ribbons at obedience school.

SO thats my credentials FWIW

total noob, surrounded by dogs, cats and other misc animal growing up and always had an interest, my current dog Misha is my first "big girl, I'll all moved out of home and independant" dog, so its been a steep learning curve, especially with her allergies and the fact that I've made a few mistakes with her, which I'm now working on to correct. I have though learnt a lot and am hoping to learn more.

I have also been brought up around dogs. Mainly ACD's and a silky terrier. I have always loved dogs and have always wanted my "own" dog. They were never purebred they were always brought from a friend thats bitch accidentally got pregnant by the mutt up the road or something.

Then back in 2006 my OH at the time his friend owned 2 ridgebacks. They weren't people friendly and I hardly seen them. All I heard was their growl and barks and I just LOVED it! Then one day I went over and they were in the house and they allowed me to come in and sit on the couch, the dogs just sat on the floor and I was just mesmerized by the growl and the loyalty and well mannered monster dogs!

Then in 07 i purchased 2 ridgebacks a brother and a sister and have never looked back. I don't think I know much about dogs, but more then the average person so I am happy with that. All my learning has been from DOL and if I wasn't apart of this community I don't think I would have ever known as much as I do now.

I was so dog obsessed as a toddler that mum had to go an extra block to the shops so I could visit a dog on the way. :eek: The family moved to a house with a yard when I was three and I have had dogs ever since. We had cats as well for many years and I was also horse obsessed and rode from age seven onwards.

At 21 I bought a horse and the following year bought my first pure bred Border Collie show dog. I had been going to get the Standard Poodle I had always wanted to do obedience with, but went to some shows with a work colleague and decided that I wasn't keen on the grooming for a Poodle if I wanted to show as well. So back to the drawing board for a breed and finally decided on BCs. After many months searching and some disappointments I found a puppy but family health dramas prevented me collecting him so I had him flown to me sight unseen on the recommendation of the owner of the sire.

Now 27 years later, I have become one of the stalwarts of the Border Collie breed. With the help of the best mentor anyone could wish for I made that first puppy a champion, gained his CDX, trained him to UD, dabbled in agility and sheep herding and made him a specialty best in show winner from a breed entry of 170. He was followed three years later by my foundation bitch and since then I have bred 12 litters and produced 8 champions, a grand champion, 2 all breeds best in show winning bitches and numerous obedience and agility titled dogs. Several of my puppies have also proven themselves useful working dogs as well. I have never been one to show or trial every week so from only occasional showing and trialling I am happy with what we achieved.

At one stage I worked for about 8 months for the Animal Welfare League in NSW on their front desk so got to see a very different side of people and dogs. Four years working for a large pet/greyhound supply warehouse and a short stint working in a grooming parlour was also enlightening. I have had articles published in National Dog about BCs, grooming and traditional chinese medicine for dogs. One of my dogs was successfully treated for cancer by chinese medicine so I have a huge interest in it.

Starting with the local all breeds club, I served on dog club committees or sub-committees since getting my first show dog and have taught basic obedience, show training and grooming to members of the BCC of NSW. My biggest contribution to the dog world though would have to be being a member of the Hereditary Diseases sub-committee of the BCC of NSW since about 1987. Working to assist with the research that produced our first breed DNA test for the fatal condition CL was very rewarding. Educating other breeders has also been a big part of the work done and finally being one of the instigators of the research that produced the DNA test for the fatal condition TNS was the icing on the cake.

I still have two Borders and maintain an active interest in genetics and am learning about and occasionally showing, my probable next breed - Japanese Spitz.

Edited by dancinbcs

At first I thought this thread was titled "Who wants to share their dodgy credentials" and I was all set to dazzle you LMAO

SO thats my credentials FWIW

:mad:rofl: Don't let the thread title put you off! I for one would like to see your 'dodgy' credentials as well ... lol.

Such a wealth of information here. I love how the experience ranges so widely that it covers mostly everything! :eek:

Ever since I could crawl, my Mum reckons I started bringing "stray" animals in... a wide and varied lot I can tell you! My Mum actually said no to the octopus though... lol!

I've brought home dogs, kittens, mice, rats, snakes, birds, lizards, rabbits, the octopus, a baby fruit bat... and I'm sure Mum could fill in some other categories...

Once when I was about 5, we lived in Alice Springs, and some of my parents' friends did wildlife rehab. Well - there was a "nice doggy" on a run out the back, and I just had to go and pat/cuddle it... the horrified and anxious looks on the adults' faces as they tried to get me to come back away from the "doggy" was totally lost on me, and I kept up the cuddling until I was good and ready to make my way back to the house. Guess who got their hide tanned for approaching the wild and injured Dingo? Apparently he wasn't all that friendly to anyone else... errr! At least the Dingo enjoyed it, and he went on to be released back to the wild with no major issues... *grin*

I'm now in my 40's and have shared my life with mainly large breed dogs - my fave are Rotties, but I currently have a Rottie/Pittie and a Labrador... and I foster care large breed puppies for rescue.

T.

After being raised with animals from the day I was born and having family pets for 36 years I was always destined to be around animals all my life. After growing up with dogs, cats, rabbits, fish, birds, guinea pigs, chooks & frogs, I knew from 5 years old that I wanted to be a Veterinary Nurse and set about getting into that as early as I could. At the age of 14 I volunteered at the local animal shelter and started planning my school subjects on getting into animal husbandry courses. Years 11 & 12 I did Biology, Chemistry & Physics as many veterinary courses asked for passes in those subjects.While friends were going out partying, I was at home taking care of my animals and studying. When I finished year 12 I got myself into working at an animal boarding kennel and proceeded to stay in that industry for 6 years, working my way up to managing one of the top boarding kennels in Melbourne. From there I ventured into more welfare work and became a Veterinary Nurse for the Cat Protection Society as well as voluntary work for WSPA. I then went onto to doing Veterinary Work at various vet clinics in Melbourne for 5 years. I now manage a pet supplies store and have my own little menagery of pets at home that keeps me happy and busy :thumbsup: For me life without animals would not be worth living!