Relatively New To Dog Ownership...

PrincessCharming

Just my opinion, I think you are too young to be tied down by a dog. Your priorities and situations will change so much over the next 10 years you really don’t need a dog holding you back, plus you don’t want to subject a dog to all those possible changes in circumstances.

If you do want a pet, maybe think about fostering Greyhounds, I don’t know much about the actual program but it may be worth looking into.

Sure, Greyhounds are a little ugly, but they are beautiful on the inside……apparently.

What a bullshit generalisation :confused:

Not every young adult or even teenager feels 'tied down' by the dog they love and have waited years for. I have had dogs of my own (either gifts or purchased myself) consistently since I was 11 & I'm now 25 and have not once felt burdoned or tied down by them. I know I am not alone in this.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you Spike. :confused:

I know that at this very moment I could own a dog and love them for the next ten+ years. However, I also know I don't have the time, money or resources at my disposal to ro a good dog mum, hence why I want to wait a few years.

I will get a dog soon, and IMO they are like kids...You don't trade them in due to changes in circumstance...Honestly the love I feel for my beautiful cat now would prevent me from ever giving him up. If I found the right dog and he didn't get along with Walt..I wouldn't get the dog. Simple as that.

Wow what a beautiful post Spike!

I am slightly hesitant about newfs as much as I love them as I just have a gut instinct I would mess training up somehow...But that's why we research, learn new breeds, learn how to train, what suits our lifestyle, how we can provide the best home, right?

IMO a well-bred Newf with firm, but fair training (and like I said, understanding of the breed- ignore any trainer who tells you they are stupid or require harsh treatment because they are so big etc.), will not give you any trouble. Just don't expect a perfectly obedient dog all the time. They have a brain and they USE it. They particularly enjoy embarrassing their humans :confused: They also don't agree with pointless tricks or repetitive motions (my boy, Spike, knew heaps of tricks but he would only do them when he wanted to). Some will argue that he wasn't well enough trained, but I disagree as he never did anything silly or dangerous, he always obeyed when it counted (ie: on walks or at the park).

A Newf may not be the right dog for you- or it may not be the right dog for you *now* but if you really like them, I would suggest heading down to one of the Newf club family days :laugh:

I believe all breeds....Or at least most are like that Spike. :laugh: They're like all creatures...They have their own minds/brains.

I'm trying not to allow my heart to decide anything now as I want the right one for my circumstance. I want a dog I can love, provide for and take wonderful care of, not a dog that looks great and I can't handle or bond with that ends up in a shelter. :confused:

Just my opinion, I think you are too young to be tied down by a dog. Your priorities and situations will change so much over the next 10 years you really don’t need a dog holding you back, plus you don’t want to subject a dog to all those possible changes in circumstances.

If you do want a pet, maybe think about fostering Greyhounds, I don’t know much about the actual program but it may be worth looking into.

Sure, Greyhounds are a little ugly, but they are beautiful on the inside……apparently.

Not every young adult or even teenager feels 'tied down' by the dog they love and have waited years for. I have had dogs of my own (either gifts or purchased myself) consistently since I was 11 & I'm now 25 and have not once felt burdoned or tied down by them. I know I am not alone in this.

I agree. The OP sounds like she has and is, thinking long and hard about this decision and doing her research about what breed would be right for her. I'm sure she will have thought about the potential restrictions she might have on her life, such as travel, rental properties, etc and has decided to make her life fit dog-ownership rather than feeling like the dog is a burden. Personally, not once have I ever felt that my dogs have been 'holding me back' - quite the contrary actually.

I agree. The OP sounds like she has and is, thinking long and hard about this decision and doing her research about what breed would be right for her. I'm sure she will have thought about the potential restrictions she might have on her life, such as travel, rental properties, etc and has decided to make her life fit dog-ownership rather than feeling like the dog is a burden. Personally, not once have I ever felt that my dogs have been 'holding me back' - quite the contrary actually.

I would have to agree as well. I had wanted a dog of my own since before I could remember. I got Zero (the first dog that was mine) when I was 20 and I have never felt tied down by him. Sure, I can't do some of the things people would ask me to do because of him but quite frankly, I would rather have him and not do those things than live without him. I have been offered jobs overseas (one of them was a dream job for me), asked to go on extended holidays and even asked to study overseas (again, a course I would have loved to do) and I didn't think twice about turning them down. To me, not having Zero (and my other animals) would make my life very boring.

You sound very well thought out PC - all breeds of dogs have special considerations, perhaps you could take a look at the breed subforums or in dog breeds 101 and ask anything in there that you can think of. Who else can give you better advice than people who own and breed the breed of dog you're interested in.

Good luck in your search!

You sound very well thought out PC - all breeds of dogs have special considerations, perhaps you could take a look at the breed subforums or in dog breeds 101 and ask anything in there that you can think of. Who else can give you better advice than people who own and breed the breed of dog you're interested in.

Good luck in your search!

That's where I'm confused...How do I narrow down my breed selection enough to view the sub threads?If I had it my way, I'd get one of every breed! :confused:

ii would make a list of what you really want from your dog,

ie walking/running/jogging

hairy/needs professional grooming/easy care

the time realistically you would get to spend each week

what impact the weather seasons would have in the coat care or the breed as to how it will cope or the facilities you will need to provide.

how many hrs each week your happy to put aside grooming

Then keep doing the dogshows & some breeds will start to interest you more & more.

I have had my own dogs since 13

ii would make a list of what you really want from your dog,

ie walking/running/jogging

hairy/needs professional grooming/easy care

the time realistically you would get to spend each week

what impact the weather seasons would have in the coat care or the breed as to how it will cope or the facilities you will need to provide.

how many hrs each week your happy to put aside grooming

Then keep doing the dogshows & some breeds will start to interest you more & more.

I have had my own dogs since 13

I have done this, grooming is not an issue. I would actually love a dog I could spend a lot of time brushing and bathing. (Assuming I'd trained them well enough that they'd behave!) I would like a dog I could groom myself though.

Well I would like a dog that is happy to sit and watch telly but loves to have a wrestle, a casual stroll daily/every second day.

The dog I know wouldn't be left along for more than five hours at a time. I can state that as a fact as I know what job I'll be at and what work my brother does. He will take care of the dog too, but it will be my responsibility to train etc.

I don't really know much about the weather one, will need to research that.

Next dog show here is fairly soon so I'll head down and spend a good long time there. :confused:

Well I would like a dog that is happy to sit and watch telly

with this do you imagine on the chair with you or on the floor??

for example my english setter fits what your saying(but there not for everyone )he will curl up like a cat with his head on my lap enjoying being touched/stroked.

At present he is curled up in bed next to me .

Having said that our lounge suit seats 8 plus has a lay shay style end so that where my setters head ,the other dogs go all over & that means enough seats for me LOL ,

Well I would like a dog that is happy to sit and watch telly

with this do you imagine on the chair with you or on the floor??

for example my english setter fits what your saying(but there not for everyone )he will curl up like a cat with his head on my lap enjoying being touched/stroked.

At present he is curled up in bed next to me .

Having said that our lounge suit seats 8 plus has a lay shay style end so that where my setters head ,the other dogs go all over & that means enough seats for me LOL ,

Well I imagine either head in my lap or sitting on the floor beside me while I stroke the dog.

He sounds like a real darling.

LOL you have lots of space to move around :confused:

Thank you Spike. :confused:

I know that at this very moment I could own a dog and love them for the next ten+ years. However, I also know I don't have the time, money or resources at my disposal to ro a good dog mum, hence why I want to wait a few years.

I will get a dog soon, and IMO they are like kids...You don't trade them in due to changes in circumstance...Honestly the love I feel for my beautiful cat now would prevent me from ever giving him up. If I found the right dog and he didn't get along with Walt..I wouldn't get the dog. Simple as that.

Well I adore newf and to me there is no other breed to compare..........BUT..........You do need money and they need a lot of time. newfies will soak up your time. Now you get this back ten fold in adoration, but you cannot leave newfs to themselves. Now if you want a dog to watch telly with , they are usually at your feet or on the couch with you with some part touching. I have Annabelle at my feet right now. She has to touch. And they are quite partial to a snuggle on the bed in the morning. it is why they love weekend sleep ins. Our newfs have always been dogs that have needed to be near us. but i think that goes for a lot of breeds if allowed

I actually find training newfs very easy. We have had a lot of pups and have retrained rescues, but you have to be consistent as their memory is great. I have a puppy right now. Katy has not chewed anything, but her bones. She was so easy to potty train and she already does all the basic obedience. her recall is great and walks really well on lead. That is the most important thing, for such a large dog. Our dogs are taught never to charge ahead of us, even when off lead.

I was very young ( along time ago :laugh:) when I had my own dogs and lived away from home. And They were my best friends. I started with a rescue dog and her pup from the pound. We had her for five years and I still miss her. Lobo taught me lots and allowed me to make mistakes. Good luck in your venture :laugh:

Hi there PC,

I just wanted to add, because its really important, that the bigger the dog the more $$$$. WHich I am assuming may be an issue for a young person who perhaps isn't in a fully secure finanacial situation. Not trying to be rude or anything tho!

Giant breeds require special puppy food which usually costs arouynd $110 a bag. And you can't just put them on cheap stuff or you will end up with disastrous health problems as they require very specific calcium/phosphorous ratios.

But tis not just food - EVERYTHING costs a fortune. Because they require more of everything; more vaccine, more worming, more flea treatment... the equipment costs more because it is bigger. And as a puppy you will need to replace it a lot because they grow out of it every couple of months. And every vet treatment costs more too.

You really need to be prepared and able to spend thousands on the maintenance of your dog every year if you want a giant breed!

Good luck finding the right breed for yourself :confused:

have you thought of a Golden Retriever?

I was 13 when I got my first dog. I had a lot of support from my mum, though. She let me get a dog even though she knew I would go off to uni and my life would change dramatically over the course of her life. I had to leave her behind with my mum a few times, but it was only ever temporary, and the aim was always to get back into a situation where I could have her living with me again. I wouldn't have wanted to do it without the support from my family. My mum made it clear from the start that she expected there would be times when I would need to leave the dog behind.

I wasn't going to get another dog after her as I wanted to do a lot of travelling and that kind of thing, but then I ended up with a pet hare and a rabbit quite by accident, and with three animals to care for and one of them being quite special needs, my desire to travel was outweighed by my desire to give my animals good care. I got another dog (Finnish Lapphund) as soon as I got my life settled. I do think that having animals prevented me from doing some things I would have done if I didn't have them, but I don't regret it at all. Different priorities.

Incidentally, Finnish Lapphunds make a good first dog. Lots of fur, but not incredibly demanding to look after it. Very sweet and cuddly dogs. A bit like a Newf scaled down to a medium-sized dog. Actually, the corgi was a good first dog as well.

My family have owned Cattle dogs for years, Chloe is my dog but I've always had mum and dad to help me with her... but my very first dog of my own, that is totally my responsibility only - is Sasha, my rescue baby. Goodness knows what breeds she is, which is why I picked an adult rescue - so I knew what their personality would be like, I knew what size and coat she was gonna have, basically I kind of knew what kind of dog she was without knowing her breed. I believe she is a Mastiff x Ridgeback, however my suspicions are a little different - I'm sure there is husky in there somewhere...

I'm now a rescue convert... I just love them :confused:

Hi there PC,

I just wanted to add, because its really important, that the bigger the dog the more $$$$. WHich I am assuming may be an issue for a young person who perhaps isn't in a fully secure finanacial situation. Not trying to be rude or anything tho!

Giant breeds require special puppy food which usually costs arouynd $110 a bag. And you can't just put them on cheap stuff or you will end up with disastrous health problems as they require very specific calcium/phosphorous ratios.

But tis not just food - EVERYTHING costs a fortune. Because they require more of everything; more vaccine, more worming, more flea treatment... the equipment costs more because it is bigger. And as a puppy you will need to replace it a lot because they grow out of it every couple of months. And every vet treatment costs more too.

You really need to be prepared and able to spend thousands on the maintenance of your dog every year if you want a giant breed!

Good luck finding the right breed for yourself :)

have you thought of a Golden Retriever?

Yep - giant breeds are certainly costly! It's little things sometimes - once they pass around 45kg then things like Revolution only last 3 months as you need 2 tubes not just 1. A 2 week course of anti-biotics at around 55kg costs about $70. You can't pick up a decent dog bed for a giant for under $180. Any collars need to be good quality for strength. Crates are around $200. Even the amount of shampoo you need soon adds up!

The other thing for consideration - how do you feel about having to deal with a bitch in season or an entire male? It is recommended that giant breeds are not desexed until around 18 months.

While I agree that priorities and situations change not once for me has it ever changed regarding my dogs.

They have gone everywhere with me while I "explored" the country. In the last two years I have moved 4 times within 3 different states, granted it was alot of changes for my boys and I, within a short time frame but not once did I consider it a burden. I moved every where by myself so I relished in fact that we got to see all these new and exciting places together.

They loved running through the desert in South Australia, playing at the beach in Western Australia and spending all this time with me.

Without my boys I never would have done anything like that, I would have lacked the confidence to do so while I was young.

My dogs never held me back......they made me push forward and become the person I am today.

To the OP, if you are willing to commit to your dog for the next 15 years then get a dog, I got my first boy when I was 15 and then my next when I was 17. They are now 7 and 5 respectively and I wouldn't have traded the world for them.

Will say though you will come across a few breeders who won't sell to you because of your age. I just love bragging about my boys now, at where they have been and done. They were National Champs, they have been to every state bar NT and Tas and thats only because I haven't been there.......not bad for dogs that alot of people thought would have been kicked to the curb when things "got too hard" :)

Edited by tollersowned

Hi PC...couple of things

If you really want a dog and know you are going to commit, you are not too young. I waited 21 years for my first dog and she was the centre of my life all her nine years, I never thought I was tied down. To answer your second question, she was a Dobermann and very well suited to my personality and desire to train dog and work with animals. I definitely wouldn't recommend them to everyone, but the breed works well with me.

That being said, I now have a Smooth Collie in my life and she is a dream. Reading your posts a Collie would also suit your situation and you have the option of the short coats - smooths or long coats - roughs.

Now you seem bamboozled as to deciding on which breed to choose - welcome to the dilemma many of us face. I could list about ten other breeds I would like to own at some point, including Dobes again, but right now Collies seem to suit my lifestyle very well. As well as getting some ideas on the forum and checking things like Select a Pet, I suggest you get out and about to some shows and some obedience trials and have a look at the variety of dogs. Then when you have a narrowed it down a bit, see if you can tee up some time to meet some DOLers who own the breeds and meet their dogs.

One option is to have a look at the Social Event pages and see when DOLers are getting together in Vic and then you can perhaps join them and see a range of doggies as well in a social situation. Don't know where you are in Vic, but some of us are going to Kepala in Diggers Rest next Sunday and there will be about 8 different breeds there and a very large span of the dog family tree. There is also a group that regularly meet down Warrnambool way too. Oh and of course over the other side of the pennisula there is KCC Park and there is always stuff going on over there.

Happy choosing!

Wow guys, thanks! Lot of information to process.

I will have the money to take care of a giant breed, what I'm uneasy about is having a bitch go through a season or two before desexing or a male developing cocking of the leg etc.

Well I don't wanna say where in Vic I am but trust me, you come to my town a lot :)

My first dog that was all mine was a kelpie x sheltie that I saved from being drowned as a tiny puppy. I had planned on getting a golden retriever, as my family had a golden and I loved the breed. However fate intervened and my little kelpie cross who I named Truck became the most amazing dog Ive ever known. Truck was my heart dog and lived to 13, I still miss her even though shes been gone almost 8 yrs now.

I was 24 when I got Truck. She was with me right through uni and moved countless times with me. I drove to Darwin with her and she travelled all over the country with me. I never once felt she 'held me back', rather she enriched my life and I loved having her.

I was always able to find rentals that allowed a dog, and never had a problem. I remember when I started working fulltime after I finished uni, it was a big adjustment for both her and I as suddenly I was away from her for 40hrs a week. In the past I had often had jobs where I could take Truck along with me, or I only worked part time, so she was still by my side the majority of the time.

I have loved dogs all my life. I think coming from a family who was obsessed with their golden further enhanced my love of dogs. None of my family are surprised that dogs are still my passion, everyone who knows me recognises I have a 'thing' for dogs. My parents have photos of my dogs displayed through their house, and have an entire album of photos of my golden Karma.

I waited until I was 24 before getting a dog of my own, as my living arrangements prior to that were not appropriate for dog ownership. Had I been able to secure stable accomodation of my own earlier, I would have gotten a dog earlier. I remember when i got Truck my dad telling me to 'get rid of that mongrol pup, and I will buy you a purebred golden pup' lol snobs! They grew to love Truck too though. I have never regretted owning my dogs, not even for a minute.