Rspca Animal Rescue On Tv Now Channel 7

mish13

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to put in my 2 cents here!

$9000 is way to low a fine! I think the fines need to be higher and people who are convicted banned from owning dogs ANYWHERE EVER!!

It just makes me so mad/upset to hear/see of situations like this. That's why I don't watch this show anymore! I end up yelling at the TV sometimes!

But the good thing is it is increasing peoples awareness of what is out there. That is one thing we need and that is education for people before they go out and buy a dog from any old where and they decided to breed. its a vicious circle!

Anyway, will get off my soap box now!! :laugh:

That's why I don't watch this show anymore!

Although it's saddening - this is why people NEED to watch these shows. They NEED to know what really goes on out there. They REALLY need to know that dogs are put to sleep because of the actions of uncaring people. They NEED to see what the consequences of neglect really are. They NEED to realise there ARE people like this out in the world... They need to know as it's the only way of showing some of the reality and hopefully motivating people to want to do something to change it.

Too many turn a blind eye, think it's a one off occurence... think that pounds and rescue take in dogs, rehabilitate them and send them on their way to the never ending supply of perfect forever homes.

The public need to see that's not the case. And they need it to be brutal so they remember it and it shocks them. It needs to make people angry, evoke strong emotions... and educate in some small way.

Edited by Kelly_Louise

Was 'Timmy' Ripley's mums dog? Ripley???

I know that Ripley was saying her mum had adopted a little Cav from an RSPCA puppy farm raid that was going to be shown on TV.

Anne, I just got off the phone with mum. She taped it (so I can watch it next time I see her) and she said her dog was the KCC who was put in the crate and loaded into the boot of the car.

Her dog is female (now called Charlotte). When Charlotte was found in that raid, she had 3 puppies with her. How mum came about adopting Charlotte was she noticed this lovely KCC being walked around her neighbourhood by a foster carer and went up and asked the person walking her about her. She found out she was going to be available for adoption shortly so she asked if she could adopt her (they did a house check and 'interviewed' mum and met her other 2 dogs). Apparently there was cannibalisation at that wretched place and other things way too graphic for prime time tv.

Charlotte is still very timid and hides from people when they come over. She peed on my husband when he picked her up last year, but she's getting better. Mum can do anything with her, she loves mum. She has really taken a shine to mum's sheltie (who is an ex showdog owned by a DOLer) and the sheltie has taken this timid girl under her care and even been grooming her like a pup. They hang out together most of the day. It wasn't very hard to toilet train Charlotte either, she learned from the other 2 dogs (mum has a sheltie and a 14 year old, half blind shih tzu she's had since shih tzu was a pup)

This is Charlotte, one of the dogs from the story last night.

eta: PTS figure as mum heard it the wrong way on the tellie (she must be going a bit deaf)

post-485-1265848916_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ripley

Guest bigdogg
The raid was a good thing. This person lost her ANKC membership some time ago.

The dogs I saw on TV were in good condition, but the coated ones were terribly matted, and obviously didn't receive enough care. The pups and mothers were in good condition too.

I didn't think the poodle was too bad - he was very good about being clipped by strangers in a strange place, and I don't think his behaviour in the pound was too bad either. Stress from being with strange people and in a strange place could have accounted for his behaviour.

As to the dogs euthed - who knows? The cavs I saw were a bit timorous - but I thought about mine.... If someone comes, they jump all over them, they are friendly when out, but if a stranger grabbed one and put it in a crate in a strange car - it would be frightened, and do the eyeroll and crouch. If they went to the pound, they would be terrified. Some lines are not as brave as others either. One of my girls would freak out, although she is friendly and kissy, and climbs on visitors for cuddles, she is not at all brave.

But who knows, it was a short segment on a TV show. I think I will simply say "well done" to the RSPCA.

Good points!!!

I think the RSPCA has these shows to pull on the heart strings of people. That equals more donations.

Media is excellent at story telling, not exactly the whole truth though.

Dont get me wrong - i think that the breeder should have got more punishment and i certainly do not condone their actions or practises.

I just know how media portrays pig hunters, as im heavily involved in promoting responsible and ethical hunters. Media will twist anything to make it into a story worth watching. That is what i think they have done here. Part truth and part BS.

*going to hide* for having an opinion...

Apparently there was cannibalisation at that wretched place and other things way too graphic for prime time tv.

This is Charlotte, one of the dogs from the story last night.

I wouldn't be surprised at all about cannibalisation... :eat: I think it was a massive effort to save the number they did from appalling conditions and treatment... however, still don't know why they decided to leave 24 there instead of taking the lot in the first go.

I'm very glad that Charlotte now has a happy, loving and understanding home and family. Good on your mum :eek:

This was a truly sickening and heartbreaking story.

$9000 is a paltry amount and as for being able to own 1 , let alone 3 , dogs in the future is beyond a joke.

There were so many beautiful little cavvies - I'm so glad Ripley that your mum ended up with Charlotte. She is so sweet and I am sure loving her wonderful new home

$9000 is a stupidly low fine for such disgusting excuses for people.

They should never be able to own any animal at any time in any state ever again.

Very nasty situation for any animal to be in.

Great to have shows like this exposing these people to the general public.

This will raise a massive amount of money for the RSPCA to kill more dogs.

Yes those dogs were in a very bad way, and alot would never have been able to be rehomed but .......................... if a registered breeder with the best kennels in the world was to pass away and the RSPCA was brought in to take the dogs, they would PTS up to 80% wether there was anything wrong or not, it's what they do.

Very happy Charlotte got a great home.

Edited by Buddy_N_Burt

If it is the case from Kyogle (as I indicated previously) these dogs were "surrendered" by the owner (obviously with a lot having gone on prior). That is why some dogs were left with her. They were eventually seized as the woman was evicted from the premises and left the remaining dogs behind - she faced court for this. It was in the Northern Star last year - I think the court case was heard in Lismore fom memory . The court case was not about the dogs she surrendered.

Edited by frufru

I'm so glad Charlotte has found a beautiful home , she looks a sweetie

as for watching the show ..... sickening ... I do hope most of the other dogs have found good homes

and as for $9000. fine ... ............. I shake my head :eek: such a paltry amount

DD

Edited by daccydog

Was this NSW case the one from Kyogle? If so the dogs were surrendered by the people and the 24 odd were later seized as she abandoned them and was fined for this. The case occurred last year.

Yep that would be the one

she was a registered breeder until about 5-6 years ago

she also moved from Qld to NSW to dodge the law for fraud

I once knew this person she was lovely on the phone couldn't be nicer then she did the dirty on me

thats when I met the true person behind all her lies

I never had any idea till I was sent a copy of the news paper clipping just how bad she was after she was raided

my heart exploded as she had a Toy Poodle from me :eek:

If it is the case from Kyogle (as I indicated previously) these dogs were "surrendered" by the owner (obviously with a lot having gone on prior). That is why some dogs were left with her. They were eventually seized as the woman was evicted from the premises and left the remaining dogs behind - she faced court for this. It was in the Northern Star last year - I think the court case was heard in Lismore fom memory . The court case was not about the dogs she surrendered.

It should be... some of them were in such an appalling condition. Why are people allowed to get away with that?

Surely the RSPCA are allowed to sieze animals in such conditions, being neglected and uncared for... and the others that appeared in half decent condition - sieze them for living in such awful conditions? Surely they have that right and could use it?

It should be... some of them were in such an appalling condition. Why are people allowed to get away with that?

Surely the RSPCA are allowed to sieze animals in such conditions, being neglected and uncared for... and the others that appeared in half decent condition - sieze them for living in such awful conditions? Surely they have that right and could use it?

You would think so, wouldn't you?? Especially when they can seize perfectly healthy, loved and cared for dogs :shakehead:

The laws are so backwards.

You would think so, wouldn't you?? Especially when they can seize perfectly healthy, loved and cared for dogs :shakehead:

The laws are so backwards.

Exactly...

Don't get me wrong, I think they did a good job to save as many dogs as they could... However, sometimes I believe they give too many people (that are blatantly and obviously not caring for their animals) the benefit of the doubt, or chance after chance... and the only ones that suffer are the animals. I understand that they only have so many resources, and they want to try to educate people so that they CAN look after their pets better... but it's quite obvious that some just can't, or don't want to. There is NO way that someone can care for 150 dogs in those circumstances. The 24 left behind never stood a chance, and should never have been left behind.

That's why I don't watch this show anymore!

Although it's saddening - this is why people NEED to watch these shows. They NEED to know what really goes on out there. They REALLY need to know that dogs are put to sleep because of the actions of uncaring people. They NEED to see what the consequences of neglect really are. They NEED to realise there ARE people like this out in the world... They need to know as it's the only way of showing some of the reality and hopefully motivating people to want to do something to change it.

Too many turn a blind eye, think it's a one off occurence... think that pounds and rescue take in dogs, rehabilitate them and send them on their way to the never ending supply of perfect forever homes.

The public need to see that's not the case. And they need it to be brutal so they remember it and it shocks them. It needs to make people angry, evoke strong emotions... and educate in some small way.

I'm not saying that it shouldn't be aired, I think it's great that it shows what does go on out there. I however DO know what goes on out there and I get so upset and mad at it all. it's for my own sanity that I don't watch it anymore. I would be depressed for days sometimes and for someone that suffers depression/bi polar normally that's not a good idea :laugh:

That is so cool that Charlotte got a great home!

"She had been involved in the dog world for 32 years and 'she will always put animals before herself', her sister wrote."

Ummmmm... clearly not.

I didn't see her locked up with no food or water... I don't see her with matted hair. IF she really cared about the dogs welfare, when she was being evicted why didn't she call the RSPCA to surrender her dogs and for them to make arrangements to take them instead of leaving them with no food, no water, no care... just to fend for themselves or die.

So that's a BLATANT lie.