Endurance Test 2010

Kynan

post-31407-1266551185_thumb.jpg by the way this is the dog in question to do the endurance:-) do you think he has it in him. He wont be 2 until the end of the year thank goodness ive got time up my sleeve

:laugh: Looks perfectly suited, Sandra - should be able to chill out nicely in the breaks. :confused: - Yep - I'm the same - my boy's not 2 till September, so I've got plenty of time before next year's test - only 1 a year here - sometimes one every two years.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

post-31407-1266551185_thumb.jpg by the way this is the dog in question to do the endurance:-) do you think he has it in him. He wont be 2 until the end of the year thank goodness ive got time up my sleeve

what sort of dog /dogs do you have bryan. better ask that questions since we're not on mtb dirt :-)

Looks ideal. What a repose. We know that recovery sessions are critical to a training programme so he seems to have that well and truly covered. I have a whippet who won't turn 2 until early in 2011. So again lots of time to see whether it is something that he would enjoy doing.

And yes I am frequent lurker on MTBDIRT and post occasionally. Interesting to contrast and compare the two forums.

Well Gap was challenging this morn. Gotta love those tree roots in the wet....did my quick 30k minus the dog:-). oops new i forgot something....nah ill take him out this arv for a nice lil 10k run( i'll run not ride). He can sort of cope with that at the moment with a few drink stops . At least its cooler here at the moment.

Well Gap was challenging this morn. Gotta love those tree roots in the wet....did my quick 30k minus the dog:-). oops new i forgot something....nah ill take him out this arv for a nice lil 10k run( i'll run not ride). He can sort of cope with that at the moment with a few drink stops . At least its cooler here at the moment.

Oh I am very jealous. I was supervising a game of fairies..... Did get in about a 5k dog walk this morning and a run with him last night. Concluded that I will be on the bike for the 20 km. Would be embarrassing to have myself ruled out by a high heart at the 14 km mark. :laugh:

OK.... in the interest of keeping the thread moving........

Took my boy out yesterday afternoon for his first trot next to the bicycle. Went very well. Only concern is that he is so used to heeling close to my leg he had to adjust to what I considered a safer distance away from me on the bike. Only went about 2 km in total mostly on grass but he was obviously having to concentrate on what he was doing as he had a big snooze straight after.

Anyone had a puncture during the test?

I've taken the plunge and started adding a short jog to my daily walk with Ziggy ;)

I haven't run for about 6 years since I injured my back so the muscles ached dreadfully :hug: While it did stir my back injury up I'm *hoping* that it will be better than leaning over a bike for 20kms. Will take it very easy and slowly for the next few weeks! And jogging will be, logistically, SO much easier to train for than cycling :eek:

I've taken the plunge and started adding a short jog to my daily walk with Ziggy ;)

I haven't run for about 6 years since I injured my back so the muscles ached dreadfully :hug: While it did stir my back injury up I'm *hoping* that it will be better than leaning over a bike for 20kms. Will take it very easy and slowly for the next few weeks! And jogging will be, logistically, SO much easier to train for than cycling :eek:

All praise to you!! I can't imagine running the full 20km. There may be smoke coming out of one of my knees and my tiny lungs would be protesting. Riding 20 km on the other hand...... I commute 30 km a day (15km each way) and often can't remember any of the trip as I have been day dreaming all the way. You might be able to fiddle with the set up of your bike to take the pressure off your back. Pavement pounding is going to be rough on a bad back.

I've taken the plunge and started adding a short jog to my daily walk with Ziggy :laugh:

I haven't run for about 6 years since I injured my back so the muscles ached dreadfully :rofl: While it did stir my back injury up I'm *hoping* that it will be better than leaning over a bike for 20kms. Will take it very easy and slowly for the next few weeks! And jogging will be, logistically, SO much easier to train for than cycling :(

All praise to you!! I can't imagine running the full 20km. There may be smoke coming out of one of my knees and my tiny lungs would be protesting. Riding 20 km on the other hand...... I commute 30 km a day (15km each way) and often can't remember any of the trip as I have been day dreaming all the way. You might be able to fiddle with the set up of your bike to take the pressure off your back. Pavement pounding is going to be rough on a bad back.

i agree riding would have to be less impact on your back as long as bike is set up correctly. 20k is a huge distance to run if your not used to it. Ive done 5 1/2 marathons, many years ago and the most i run now is probably 15. i usually run between 70 -90 k a week if i have a good week. of late ive only been on the bike maybe twice a week if lucky. Always seems to be raining when im free and clear sky when at work. Bryan you could get one of those dog walkie things that attach to your bike so your baby feels relaxed.

Edited by sandra64

:( Looks perfectly suited, Sandra - should be able to chill out nicely in the breaks. :laugh: - Yep - I'm the same - my boy's not 2 till September, so I've got plenty of time before next year's test - only 1 a year here - sometimes one every two years.

Sorry Tassie i just realised i never replied to you. Yes thats my boy thats his daily routine, go for a walk/run then crash for the day:)

:rofl: Looks perfectly suited, Sandra - should be able to chill out nicely in the breaks. :laugh: - Yep - I'm the same - my boy's not 2 till September, so I've got plenty of time before next year's test - only 1 a year here - sometimes one every two years.

Sorry Tassie i just realised i never replied to you. Yes thats my boy thats his daily routine, go for a walk/run then crash for the day:)

:rofl: No probs. And I'm glad there are other dogs out there who spend a fair bit of the day dead to the world. :(

I did an Endurance Test last year and started training 3 months before, I gradually increased the distance to about 5/7 ks a day at a speed of 10ks per hour, Riley was taken swimming once a week and would swim for about 15/20 mins . He was trained on 3 surfaces and I also conditioned his pads daily. We also walked a minimum of 2.5ks daily.

He passed the test with flying colors.

Invest in a good comfy bike seat and bike shorts help you bum lots to.

Good luck

Alright that's it, I'm out, I refuse to wear bike shorts :( Other competitors would be thankful for that :rofl:

:rofl::rofl::rofl: I did wear trackies over the bike pants would be to embarrassed to just wear bike pants. Lets face it not much looks good in Lycra

Did feel that i waddled like a duck when wearing them espically during the obedience/willingness test :laugh:

Edited by springdog

Just wondering...........is there a cut off age for the dogs? My current running partners(Labs) are 8 and 10, would they be too old? They currently run 10-14kms 3x a week.

Yes, unfortunately your dogs are 'too old'. The maximum age is under 8 years (must not have reached their 8th birthday).

I've taken the plunge and started adding a short jog to my daily walk with Ziggy :laugh:

I haven't run for about 6 years since I injured my back so the muscles ached dreadfully :) While it did stir my back injury up I'm *hoping* that it will be better than leaning over a bike for 20kms. Will take it very easy and slowly for the next few weeks! And jogging will be, logistically, SO much easier to train for than cycling :laugh:

i agree riding would have to be less impact on your back as long as bike is set up correctly. 20k is a huge distance to run if your not used to it. Ive done 5 1/2 marathons, many years ago and the most i run now is probably 15. i usually run between 70 -90 k a week if i have a good week. of late ive only been on the bike maybe twice a week if lucky. Always seems to be raining when im free and clear sky when at work. Bryan you could get one of those dog walkie things that attach to your bike so your baby feels relaxed.

:eek: The way I felt last night I would agree with you!!! However, I used to run a fair bit (was in the Army), I'm tall and slim and I'm jogging in the forrest so it's soft ground. I've got a Bowen session next Thursday so will jog lightly until then and get my practitioner to fix me :eek: Even if I end up training Zig to run next to a bike I'd still like to be able to add a light jog to my daily routine and it might help me for agility too. I have a nice mountain bike but it's too small (my Mum is 5 foot nothing and never used it) - need to get it fixed up or trade it in but I'm being a tight @r$e at the moment (renovating house). I also live in The Dandenong Ranges so cycling would involve driving to somewhere first - just no time at the moment! I'm sure I will get there ('cause I think you're right!!!) but a little jog won't kill me.......hopefully :o

Aah spotted devil, we'll have to fill napsacks full of rocks for you:-)put you back in army mode. Yeh there might be just a bit too much height difference for you to lift the seat high enough. thinking more about your back here.Do you have a deep pool close by that after your run, you could put a bouancy belt on and tred water for 1/2 an hr after your run, that is amazing for your back.

Edited by sandra64

Aah spotted devil, we'll have to fill napsacks full of rocks for you:-)put you back in army mode.

:eek::laugh:

It should be noted that I was an Army musician. I haven't had to lug a pack weighing half my body weight since boot camp :)

Yeh there might be just a bit too much height difference for you to lift the seat high enough. thinking more about your back here.

That's what I was thinking....if I can get a recommendation for a decent bike shop that won't try to rip me off I'll go and have a chat to them.

Do you have a deep pool close by that after your run, you could put a bouancy belt on and tred water for 1/2 an hr after your run, that is amazing for your back.

Yes, I used to do a lot of pool work and it was really good, especially after a couple of corticosteroid injections into my spine left me unable to walk. It's quite a drive to the pool from here but might consider it for some supplementary exercise on weekends. Damn, why can't there be more hours in a day???? :eek:

Plus, running is good because I can justify all the extra cakes, muffins and desserts I'm making (and eating!) with the chooks laying so regularly :laugh:

spotted devil, have a look on ebay for something don't buy anything new. You should be able to pick up something with good components on it there. Theres a few of us on here that know enough about bikes to tell you if its a good buy of not. Just go to the local bike shop get measured up for what size bike and get some info off them and then hunt around second had.TerraNik,bryan and myself all ride so just ask.

Edited by sandra64

Just another tip guys. Practising on wet grass (early morning dew) is also crucial for the dogs. What can often happen is the dogs' pads get softened when trotting on wet grass, then they hit the gravel and concrete, bitument and that is when they do damage. so lots of wet grass, then gravel will prepare their pads. I would not worry about moisturing them. I would put in the necessary training for accustom the pads to the conditions, and that should suffice.

I will be doign 2011 with my boy, Jag. He is too young this year.

I did it with Dyzney when she 3 or 4, don't remember. It was easy and a lot of fun. I had stitches in my leg from where I fell on a star picket several days before, so that was a bit sore. Dyz dragged me off the bike for an emergency poo stop (which I was totally surpried by, as she has never done anything like that before), and I fell right on my wound, but all good, just a bit of blood and back on the bike. It certainly was a day I will never forget.

Also, make sure you have a strapper with you. You need someone to hold your dog whilst you run to the toilet during your breaks.... and don't let the guy next to you that didn't bring a strapper pinch your strapper to hold his dog, so he can go to the toilet, and then miss out on a wee like I did AARRGGHHH ;)

And one more tip, for those whose dogs get really bored with the training and starting to lag a bit.... don't worry. during the test, I can assure you, the other dogs an excitement will have them acting as though they could run it 5 times over.

Sorry, yet another tip, you do not need to train to 20kms. 16 is fine, and will give the dog plenty of fitness and scope to complete the test.

Just make sure you have your training regime in place, remember to add rests into the last 7ish days.

Good luck all those doing it.

Hey, I didn't know there is a Gippsland End. Test. when is that run please?