Dogs Living Out On Farms

Dee_al

Wandering dogs on small acerages are one of the most annoying things around.

Also very dangerous.

If I catch a dog worrying or killing stock, they are gone - no second chances.

If a dog wanders in I will capture and try to contact the owner so they can pick it up. Next time they go straight to the pound, if they are found again - bye bye dog.

If my dogs roamed worried stock and got shot I would be very angry at myself for allowing it to happen.

Our Stafford never goes anywhere and even if he tried wouldn't get far. The Whippets are only outside with us, then either inside or my dog runs which are escape proof.

Build him an enclosure/yard that he can be in when you can't watch, then have him out with you when you can.

Less stress that way and less likely to end badly - MVA, Bait, Snake, shot by neighbour

I have an agreement with my neighbours that if their sheep come onto my property they are fair game for my dogs and if my dogs are caught on their properties, they do what they have to do at the time. As my "main" neighbour (his property backs right along the back of mine, down one side and across the highway) said, if they're just looking and he has the time, he'll shoo them home and ring me. If they're up to no good, he does what he needs to do.

BUT, that said....I have been here for 2 years on Thursday and haven't had a problem with my dogs leaving home or visiting any of the neighbouring paddocks. Maybe I have been very lucky, but I don't leave them unattended for hours on end as I'm in and outdoors all day and they usually follow me. But I know that I CAN leave them outside and they will stay put.

Thanks for the tips guys! He is good with he's recall but he's also trained in trackin and really does like to follow he's nose. He hasn't been out there yet coz I want to introduce Kane to OH's 2 on mutual territory. Both he's dogs are pretty placid ( ones a staffy whi I've posted pics of before and the other one is a quite aged blue beeper) but both are intact males and although kanes aggression has settled way down he sometimes has issues with dogs tryin to dominate him.

I already know he's fine with live stock coz i've always had horses, and he's been around cows and sheep and has never cared about them at all.

he's been around cows and sheep and has never cared about them at all.

remember being under control on the odd meet is one thing, being unsupervised and suddenly seeing a herd of noisy, running prey animals can do strange things to a dog

Our dogs live on a property with a good perimeter fence bar one section that they use to visit the neighbours property and play with thier dog and the neighbours dog visits here (we did discuss this with neighbours). Lilly grew up in suburbia and she has once followed me out when I was going for a walk but the other dogs know the house boundries. Saying that we do have a dog run they get locked in at night and when we are out because we don't trust them 100%.

In my younger years in the US I lived in a couple small communities where most people (exception, the neighbour with two rather ferocious Rottis) didn't have fences and most dogs were free to roam. The most memorable incidents were when the epileptic standard poodle had a siezure at our house, and when one neighbour's male doxie got stuck half way in another neighbour's cat door . .. couldn't get his willy over the bar. And there were a few unplanned litters of pups. But all in all, it worked out ok. I'd love to return to a place where it was ok for dogs to roam.

Some dogs will just rather hang around the house, but if you have a dog that was bred to hunt you really need to have them safely contained. I live on 40 acres and if my dogs are out of the house yard and I take my eyes off them for 5 seconds they are gone rabbit and roo hunting. It drives me crazy! (It doesnt help that there are so many roos around at the moment, its just a tease for them) They wear innotek collars when we are out walking which have a 400m range on them, so if they do get away I can get them back. Our property also has sheep fencing and they just jump straight through it, if they want to get out nothing will stop them. They are always in the house yard or 6ft dog run, as they cant be trusted. We have many farmers around and they will get shot if they are out and I am not prepared to loose them so they are kept under a very close eye. There are too many problems with dogs out wondering and irresponsible owners, Im not going to be one of them and it is for their own safety as well.

Some dogs will just rather hang around the house, but if you have a dog that was bred to hunt you really need to have them safely contained. I live on 40 acres and if my dogs are out of the house yard and I take my eyes off them for 5 seconds they are gone rabbit and roo hunting. It drives me crazy! (It doesnt help that there are so many roos around at the moment, its just a tease for them) They wear innotek collars when we are out walking which have a 400m range on them, so if they do get away I can get them back. Our property also has sheep fencing and they just jump straight through it, if they want to get out nothing will stop them. They are always in the house yard or 6ft dog run, as they cant be trusted. We have many farmers around and they will get shot if they are out and I am not prepared to loose them so they are kept under a very close eye. There are too many problems with dogs out wondering and irresponsible owners, Im not going to be one of them and it is for their own safety as well.

Very responsible :laugh:

Hubby wants to know how you maintain 40 acres? :):eek:

We're thinking of moving more rural in the future (not with THAT Much land) but the thought of so many acres makes his mind boggle!

We're thinking of moving more rural in the future (not with THAT Much land) but the thought of so many acres makes his mind boggle!

My cityborn husband also wants acres when we move out of town, but I remind him often that he has trouble maintaining an 800 sq metre block with a house and shed on it....which doesn't leave a huge amount of yard to maintain. Not sure where he thinks he's gonna find the time or the inclination to manage more.

I would not leave Kane unattended. He might be fine, but he also may wander and you'd be putting his life at risk as farmers WILL shoot a dog that's on their land. They don't know the dog doesn't care about the stock, as far as they're concerned, a stray dog is worth a lot less than a valuable cow and they'll shoot first and ask questions later. Or maybe not even ask questions.

We have a neighbour who lives about 1 km from our place..... her dog would wander up here on average twice a week.

Initially I put him in a pen and then ring them.... they collect dog and I listen to all their excuses....... This went on for about 8 months - so they got a second puppy to try and keep the first one at home.....

6 months later we now have two dogs knocking at my door a couple of times a week..... still the same excuses from the neighbours....

Frankly i get pissed off with it.....

I just wish they would spend the money and build a proper backyard so the dogs have somewhere safe. If they happen to wander in the opposite direction during the lambing season they will get shot by the local farmer.

Very responsible :confused:

Hubby wants to know how you maintain 40 acres? :o :o

It is not easy, I would love to get rid of 20acres (aparently we are under some gold mine lease, everywhere else around here has been mined except here, so that will probably never happend, would have been a quick fix to the mortgage!!). We are on a very bushy block and summer scares the heck out of me. I just try and keep around the house clear of trees. I think I need a few lawn mowers for the front paddock that will save me having to mow! I think 5 acres would be not enough but 10-15 would be great. I have GSPs and lots of water so it is the perfect training area for retreiving, I really do love it!

My neighbours dog visits every morning quite early. My dogs hate this dog and bark their heads off. It pisses on my wheely bin and my dogs kick bark chip everywhere as they race up and down the fenceline. The road is pretty busy too. It must be around 14-15 now so hopefully I will not have to put up with it much longer. They have no fences at all and when I asked them to keep it off my place their response was that they would have to chain the dog up. Ummm not my problem. They have even said that they think their dog annoys my dogs - umm you think? Luckily it doesn't chase the horses. But they are nice people and have rescued my horses a couple of times when trees have fallen on fences so don't want to cause a war by calling the ranger.

he's been around cows and sheep and has never cared about them at all.

remember being under control on the odd meet is one thing, being unsupervised and suddenly seeing a herd of noisy, running prey animals can do strange things to a dog

Nah I mean he's been un restrained and hasn't looked twice at them.

Hey Gayle, he would onlyreally be out there of a weekend and most the days he would be inside anyway so yeah.

I reckon once he and Stanley (oh staffy) got to know each other he would just stick with Stanley. At home here I can leave the gate open and he won't go out or if he does he just sits out on the front verandah.

Was going to post our method for training even a high prey driven dog to stay in the yard when surrounded by things like 'roos and rabbits,but deleated it since it could be open to abuse if its not done with proper supervision.

Was going to post our method for training even a high prey driven dog to stay in the yard when surrounded by things like 'roos and rabbits,but deleated it since it could be open to abuse if its not done with proper supervision.

I would be very interested to hear your training methods, as I have very high roo/rabbit driven dogs!!

I would be very interested to hear your training methods, as I have very high roo/rabbit driven dogs!!

You can P.M me if you like,I haven't worked out how to do that yet!

but this method is only suitable for use when there is some one around and a lot depends on the the yard not having beautiful ground level gardens!

quote]

Very responsible :laugh:

Hubby wants to know how you maintain 40 acres? :laugh::)

:) ;) 40acres is really not that much. Our "house block" is 40acres - and then we have another 4000acres to play with. We just have a small herd of 100 ewes on the 40 acres and that keeps it under control. You could have some steers instead - not as much looking after as the sheep.

:thumbsup::curtsey: 40acres is really not that much. Our "house block" is 40acres - and then we have another 4000acres to play with. We just have a small herd of 100 ewes on the 40 acres and that keeps it under control. You could have some steers instead - not as much looking after as the sheep.

I was telling myself that they would be easier, I have been very interested in a couple of minature cattle, I think they should be alot less work than having to sheer sheep!! We really are on a block of rock and trees, so not alot of grass for more than 2 head of lawn mowers.

Would also agree with needing to make sure that your dog can't leave your property, and get onto others, as you have no idea what they are getting up to while they are there, and what might start innocently enough can end in disaster - one of our bugbears is our neighbours dogs getting onto our properrty from theirs (which they are not at all confined in), and chasing our horses, esp foals - horses natural instinct is to run from a threat, and we have had a few horses run straight into fences (even white post and rails that they can easily see), trying to get away from the dogs, and had the vet bills to contend with. Our neighbours however ignore the complaints, council does nothing, and meanwhile we have to try to look after our own animals. Whilst our fences are horse proof, but obviously dogs can just go underneath, but our neighbour has no area where their dog can be confined, nor do they care to consider doing this, in fact half the time their dog I think is on the run looking for food since these are the people whose cat adopted us since they weren't really feeding him either. A neighbour on the other side of this property at one time did do as an OP suggested above once his stock got chased once too often by taking a gun to the offender at the time (the previous dog who had already bitten our horses a few times), as he had had a few stock breaking legs from being chased and having to be destroyed.