Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

I don't know of any club in Brisbane that train the way I do. An hour of class is just not congruent to the way I train Daisy. I would rather five minutes of 110% than an hour of paddock bashing. I am happy to pop into class to do a SFE or group stays etc. Our club also does a night of casual training each week where members can use the grounds and the equipment to do what they want.

I would love to have a group of triallers to meet up and train with who have a similar approach to training that I do - that would be great!

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What happens when you've chosen a different training path to your club? One where the rules make it quite difficult for you to train anything but their methods?

Does anyone truly train totally separate from a club, particularly for agility when you don't have a full compliment of gear? And with a young dog who would obviously benefit from working under distraction?

Be interested to hear people's thoughts please :laugh:

What sort of problems are you having? Different handling system? Different way of training obstacles - wanting to train contact obstacles or weaves differently?

I don't know of any club in Brisbane that train the way I do. An hour of class is just not congruent to the way I train Daisy. I would rather five minutes of 110% than an hour of paddock bashing. I am happy to pop into class to do a SFE or group stays etc. Our club also does a night of casual training each week where members can use the grounds and the equipment to do what they want.

I would love to have a group of triallers to meet up and train with who have a similar approach to training that I do - that would be great!

I just use whatever club is closest to me and do my own thing, I move in and out of classes as it suits me and quite often do something else while in class anyway!

I too would love to meet up with a group of like minded trainers but unfortunately we're all spread helter skelter across the city and it would be a mission to organise something!

I too would love to meet up with a group of like minded trainers but unfortunately we're all spread helter skelter across the city and it would be a mission to organise something!

Maybe we could do an occasional meet up halfway somewhere! :laugh:

Just going to post a scent update for Kenz. Its been a while since I have tackled scent but since Ness needed a session I thought I'd do a session with both of them. Set up a full set of articles out on the front lawn.

Ness did her two finds then a jackpot then I switched to Kenz. Well blow me away. Kenz did her wood twice, leather she made one mistake with but when I took it off her and said try again she went back and found the correct one. I then tried a metal with her. Again no issues with finding the correct metal. I did get her chasing a stick and then switch to the metal article before introducing it into the pile because of her metal reluctance issues.

Pretty impressed with Kenz as she is deliberately making a decision on which one to bring back. I also made sure I rewarded her waiting while I went and placed the article :grouphug: .

What happens when you've chosen a different training path to your club? One where the rules make it quite difficult for you to train anything but their methods?

I don't do classes - I don't get much out of them and it's really just too long. I get constantly 'nagged' to go into class but I never do unless it's for group stays or a few minutes of a heelwork pattern. Plus, I'm training 3 dogs at the moment so it's really not conducive to class work!

If my club had a rule that I couldn't do that -- then I wouldn't go there. You need to be comfortable with how you train - it's not worth staying around if you don't agree with methods or if they're not flexible with things.

Well done!

I ordered a new crate for Lincoln and can't wait till it arrives, its going to be huge for him to start with but if he grows as big as his daddy it will be a good fit. :grouphug:

Our crate arrived today, we have started doing a but of crate training this afternoon and Mason was very good and patient, and he seems to like the crate which helps a lot :grouphug::(

Quick question, in obidience do you have to ue the word heel? Or can you use a word of your own choosing?

You can use whatever word you like.

Ok cause I want to keep my retrieving cues consistent with my breeder and they use 'heel' for the right side.

Quick question, in obidience do you have to ue the word heel? Or can you use a word of your own choosing?

I use 'lets go" I need to start working on he right hand side heel as well if we are going to ever do agility, will probably only be next year but might as well train him to heel both sides while we are at it. His heeling has come along so much in the last 3 weeks I am very happy.

I use 'lets go" I need to start working on he right hand side heel as well if we are going to ever do agility, will probably only be next year but might as well train him to heel both sides while we are at it. His heeling has come along so much in the last 3 weeks I am very happy.

I'm pretty sure that for competition your commands need to be one word only. If you're planning on competing you may want to rethink this command.

I'm pretty sure that for competition your commands need to be one word only. If you're planning on competing you may want to rethink this command.

Can your commands be contradictory? I would like to use come for my left side heeling command

Can your commands be contradictory? I would like to use come for my left side heeling command

You can use what ever you want as long as they are one word and you are going to remember them! I train in a different language so every single one of my commands is different to normal but I made sure they were all short commands so even if a judge can't understand the language they'll be able to tell that I haven't said enough to be multiple words!

Wish I had known that earlier........... ;) now I have to think up a new word.

Wish I had known that earlier........... ;) now I have to think up a new word.

How about "Let's" :confused:

Does anybody have any successful techniques for training Drop on recall . I havn't started teaching this and is our only open exercise that we havn't started training . Whats the best way to start teaching this ?