Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why when you think you have fixed one UD exercise another one breaks? Fixed our issue with gloves and now her scent discrim is wobbly.

Her articles have been fool proof for months and now we are acting uncertain on some. Enough to have me pulling my hair out.

Another newbie trialling question.

How do you keep your own speed consistent? Having had someone watch me with Cindy it seems I change my speed by changing the length of my stride.

And I thought I was training Cindy not me getting trained. :laugh:

Have you tried practicing without your dog? Try not to change your speed to match what the dog is doing, the dog should keep up with you.

I was practicing without Cindy last night. I think my neighbours now think I am that crazy dog owner! I think it is my stride length but the more nervous I get the more I stride? Can I hobble myself in the ring? :laugh:

So I guess the next question is.....

what is your dogs favourite treat?

Like Daisy, Zuma loves pretty much everything (fresh sardines being the only thing I've had him not eat!!) although both he and Riv seem to like chicken best - especially if it's from KFC :laugh:

Why when you think you have fixed one UD exercise another one breaks? Fixed our issue with gloves and now her scent discrim is wobbly.

Her articles have been fool proof for months and now we are acting uncertain on some. Enough to have me pulling my hair out.

Is always the way kathq isn't it! Have you figured out how to fix what is going wrong?

And looking forward to seeing some more videos from people too.

How about humming to keep the stride the same. Hum constantly though obviously, lol.

I am currently using some homemade treats that I got from a market, they are a liver loaf. Not too icky in the hand.

I also don't train with a lead and will have to do some practice for CCD, if I decide to do it. It has been years since I have been in an obedience ring so I should go in for that reason but am worried about unstable dogs in the stays.

I need to get hold of a video camera!

Actually Rivsky you know how foodie Ness is - she won't do fresh sardines either. Only likes the tinned ones. Ness is like Daisy and Zum and just does anything that food :laugh: .

Mason's favorite is BBQ sausage but he also likes 4Legs, the chicken ones, I havent tried the beef as yet but he will train for just about anything. I had Macca's chips the other day and he trained like a star for a few :laugh:

At the rate I am going Sexi Lexi will be Sexi Lexi UD before Ness has a pass :laugh: . Hmmm nope I haven't picked a debut trial for Kenz but I do know I'll be hoping to run her in the State Agility Champs in July :laugh: .

How about humming to keep the stride the same. Hum constantly though obviously, lol.

I am currently using some homemade treats that I got from a market, they are a liver loaf. Not too icky in the hand.

I also don't train with a lead and will have to do some practice for CCD, if I decide to do it. It has been years since I have been in an obedience ring so I should go in for that reason but am worried about unstable dogs in the stays.

Problem is there are unstable dogs still in Novice, too. I'll probably do CCD but I train more with the lead off than on, too. Only time I train with a lead on is if there are a lot of squeaky balls in the vicinity, I am then likely to have Millie run off to one thinking it's hers :clap:

I decided last night that July would be Lexi's UD debut and I see Terranik is making her novice debut in 2 weeks time :clap:

Anybody else pencilled in a trial as their debut?

Millie is pencilled in for sometime later this year, that's as close as I can pinpoint at this stage :clap: Or if Ruby decides to be a star and get her last Novice pass soon, then Millie may make her debut a bit earlier...

Humming-now they will know I am crazy LOL but it is a good idea-will try it.

I got some really good tips from another trialler last night when she watched Jed and I in the ring... She was so helpful - watching out for any second cues I might get pinged for. And she said the same thing as you Ptolomy about Jedi's left turns - how he gets pushed out of position because I'm turning too fast. I tried slowing down and it made a HUGE difference! So now I need to try and do that in the ring and not rush things.

I'd like to get a video of Jed doing a novice round before we trial... Maybe get someone to rip it to shreds for me :clap: