Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

:) Ptolomy could you move anywhere other than the Southern River kennel area with that many kids and given how much time you seem to spend at the K9 :rofl: . Edited by ness

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One can apparently never have enough tollers :thumbsup::rofl::):rofl: .

Its amazing how each of us have a favorite breed and we tend to stick with it, when I get another dog will probably be getting another lab ..... just love their personalities.

Ptolomy glad to hear that Mason is not the only dog around here allowed to sleep on the bed....

It would be hard to convince me to have any breed other then a Chessie and heaps of people think I am odd for that. :) Sometimes I can't see why other people can't see it too!

Flick_Mac welcome to the training thread! I am a semi lurker in the Weim thread so have seen your posts! :rofl:

CBR - I've been admiring your Chessie from afar - he is gorgeous! Some photo's wouldn't go amiss :rofl:

I even met Ness - about a year ago now - not sure if you remember, but Lyndsay (my spell check thinks this is wrong but my brain is too fried to figure it out!) brought Holly and Ruby, and you brought your lovely girls to meet my crazy boy!

We have obedience tomorrow night - in theory - if I have studied enough for Tuesdays exam!

So the decision was which Ptolomy :rofl: .

Mr Gray :rofl:

I liked Mr Gray too, cute little white spot on his head! :)

So you going with the name Cruizer or Champagne to go with his new wife, Cider? :thumbsup:

Edited by RubyStar

Congrats Ptolomy!! He's so cute! What's his name going to be or is that a big secret? :rofl:

So... here's a qn for everyone: when you train on your own do you find an open space and do back and forth heeling work (like an obedience class) or do you just do it on your actual walk?

Hi Flick

I try to stay away from doing big blocks of heel work. For day to day stuff I often walk Daisy down to the local park (only about 10 minutes walk away) which is a big sport oval and we do a training session there. In the beginning I kept training sessions really short and fun and always (and still always) leave them on the high note with the dog wanting more.

And another one... Banjo's weakness is his laziness (wanting to drop from a sit) and his stays aren't as solid as I'd like, BUT my number 1 challenge at the moment is Louie's heeling. Any tips on getting that extra bit of focus from ditsy dogs like the gundogs? (When he's focussed he works beautifully, but still doesn't quite heel like a collie!)

I'd work on keeping training sessions short but really fun, exciting and do short bursts of heel work where you try and get 110% focus then reward heavily for that. Don't drag heeling out or ask for longer heeling sessions when you know it's likely he will lose focus. Also don't just reward at the end of the exercise, I try and keep Daisy guessing, so I might take two steps then reward etc so she gets rewarded when she's not expecting it.

If you don't mind me asking what area is your new house? I'm daydreaming that you're moving close to me and I can watch you train your red kids :rofl::rofl: .

LOL - back to the kennel area in Southern River :)

:rofl: So when you move back "home", can you please teach me how to walk in a straight line :):thumbsup: ;)

Oops sorry Ptolomy wasn't around to post photos of the new one for you - was off drinking cider so I'm sure you'll understand :rofl:

He is very cute but wouldn't expect anything less from a Toller :) Can't wait to hear all about him when he arrives.

Ness - I think more like me and my in-your-face 6month old wei! He hasn't changed much I can assure you!

Husky - thanks for the ideas - when I walk the dogs somewhere (park, oval, lake) I don't usually demand 'heeling' as such - it's more just a loose lead walk (and Louie likes to be out in front... of course), and then I do tend to do little training sessions back and forth. You're right - treating during the session works really well for him. I've also found the faster the better - keeps his little brain ticking over!

RS - stop laughing at me and admit you're jealous of my Aussie! :laugh:

Husky - thanks for the ideas - when I walk the dogs somewhere (park, oval, lake) I don't usually demand 'heeling' as such - it's more just a loose lead walk (and Louie likes to be out in front... of course), and then I do tend to do little training sessions back and forth. You're right - treating during the session works really well for him. I've also found the faster the better - keeps his little brain ticking over!

I'm the same when I'm walking my dogs - I just want them walking on a loose leash, but we usually stop somewhere for a quick training session which is when I'd ask for formal heel work.

I like to make my training session fast and high energy too - the dog will pick up on your energy as well!

OMG another dog Ptolomy?? I am trying to convince myself that I don't need another dog to replace old Fern, that 3 borders under 4yo are quite enough. Doesn't help that my breeder has a new litter and here you are getting a dog!

I have to say a puppy isn't high on my want list right at this moment but sometimes things happen for a reason and you have to take opportunities that present themselves with both hands even if the timing stinks.

Its been a BIG week, a new puppy and a new house.

Think I should stop spending money now.....

:laugh: Why stop now, Ptolomy - you're just warming up :)

Exciting news about your new little man - he looks seriously cute. And yes, I'm a great believer in 'meant to be' - trust the Universe - she knows what she's doing. :)

Agility training questions:

I'm thinking about strating to train Kyzer some directional commands, what commands do people use? I've seen the Greg Derrett DVD and he uses 'Back' and 'Close' but interested to hear what other people use and how you taight your dog.

Also, does anyone have some exercises to help me train him to do tighter lines when going around jumps (pinwheels, serpentines etc), or is it me that needs the training? :laugh: Going to do some experimenting with shoulder placement with some jump grids during the week to see if that helps too.

Last night the 'stand' fairy must have come because today Sophie nailed the stand each time, she had been getting confused and sitting, I hope the fairy comes to visit Banjo to :laugh: .

Thanks Tiggystaff - to emphasise his laziness - we've just got mice in our house (over the last 2 days) and one ran RIGHT PAST HIM tonight while he was asleep on the floor... All we got was an eye movement! L-A-Z-Y!