Tiggy

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Agility training questions:

I'm thinking about strating to train Kyzer some directional commands, what commands do people use? I've seen the Greg Derrett DVD and he uses 'Back' and 'Close' but interested to hear what other people use and how you taight your dog.

Also, does anyone have some exercises to help me train him to do tighter lines when going around jumps (pinwheels, serpentines etc), or is it me that needs the training? :thumbsup: Going to do some experimenting with shoulder placement with some jump grids during the week to see if that helps too.

I know a few who have trained them but don't know anyone who uses them in the ring. I haven't bothered, 1) because I don't feel I need them even with a fast dog and a not so fast handler, and 2) I can barely tell my left from my right at the best of times. Add speed and pressure and trying to figure out my dogs left and right I'd have no hope. :winner:

As for tighter lines, you can work on it with things like GD's double box work and basic sequences. Video them if you can and check your positioning and timing. I rarely run courses for training any more, I find going back and working sequences has been really valuable and has improved both my consistancy and my confidence (which flows onto my dog as well). A little of it is just experience for both of you, but just keep working on it.

Just don't get so bogged down in the tight lines that you pull the speed out of your dog. :cheers:

Thanks Jess

We have a few people over here that use them, I was mainly thinking of having them in case of emergency if he is out ahead of me and needs to turn etc. I know on the GD DVD it says to train them but if you think you will get them mixed up then don't use them because it will just confuse your dog.

Yes I'm planning on doing a lot of jump grid work, I actually really enjoy them! Might film some to watch back - good tip.

Awww how cute is Mack! :laugh:

I'm thinking about strating to train Kyzer some directional commands, what commands do people use? I've seen the Greg Derrett DVD and he uses 'Back' and 'Close' but interested to hear what other people use and how you taight your dog.

I have a rear cross verbal that is invaluable at times, especially in Open & Masters Gamblers where we are working at quite a distance. I would be hopeless at left & right. My verbal means turn away from me. I still follow it up with body language & timing is obviously important but it works well and I don't find it confusing on course.

Also, does anyone have some exercises to help me train him to do tighter lines when going around jumps (pinwheels, serpentines etc), or is it me that needs the training? :thumbsup: Going to do some experimenting with shoulder placement with some jump grids during the week to see if that helps too.

Depends on your handling style. We use a precue system and teach a wrap on one jump, gradually increasing the distance. My general rule is that if I am running parallel, my dog should be running straight. Me turning into my dog is the signal for my dog to turn towards me. I do lots of training with just 1-3 jumps & reward every turn. If they turn so tight that they miss the jump, I generally still reward and watch the timing of my turning in the next time.

The other thing I am very conscious about is giving the right line into a turn...to the point where I will choose the spot on each bar that I want my dog going over. Sometimes I want them to jump right through the middle of the jump & other times, I will set the line before the jump so they are taking it at an angle or taking it next to an upright.

the majority of dogs i see running wide on pinwheels & serps are doing so because their handlers are watching them go round rather than driving to position & providing direction. I was guilty of this for a long time. Most new handlers are.

Edited by Vickie

Puppies!! Gorgeous addition, Seita :cheers:

I had a dream last night I got a new puppy, and the weirdest part? It was a red kid :laugh::thumbsup: I think I'm (not so) secretly a Cider fan :winner:

Lol you could do retrieving with a red kid!!!

I recon a really great trainer who knew what they were doing could even get Mason to be trialling star he is not dumb but he and I are like the blind leading the blind most days.....

Puppies!! Gorgeous addition, Seita :whee:

I had a dream last night I got a new puppy, and the weirdest part? It was a red kid :laugh::thumbsup: I think I'm (not so) secretly a Cider fan :cheer:

Thats funny - since I see Tollers are not even on your Top 10 wish list :winner:

Have started duration work with Soggy Bear - off for our second session tonight :rock: In fact - everybody is during duration tonight for their dinner :cheers:

Puppies!! Gorgeous addition, Seita :eek:

I had a dream last night I got a new puppy, and the weirdest part? It was a red kid :cheers::laugh: I think I'm (not so) secretly a Cider fan :rock:

Thats funny - since I see Tollers are not even on your Top 10 wish list :cheer:

Have started duration work with Soggy Bear - off for our second session tonight :D In fact - everybody is during duration tonight for their dinner :whee:

:thumbsup: Nah they're not, but Cider is pretty cute :clap: Actually my mum asked me at the trial on the weekend what breed your dogs were and she said they were nice and that if she was to ever get another dog then she'd be interested in that breed. Maybe that's where my dream came from :winner:

I have a rear cross verbal that is invaluable at times, especially in Open & Masters Gamblers where we are working at quite a distance. I would be hopeless at left & right. My verbal means turn away from me. I still follow it up with body language & timing is obviously important but it works well and I don't find it confusing on course.

Depends on your handling style. We use a precue system and teach a wrap on one jump, gradually increasing the distance. My general rule is that if I am running parallel, my dog should be running straight. Me turning into my dog is the signal for my dog to turn towards me. I do lots of training with just 1-3 jumps & reward every turn. If they turn so tight that they miss the jump, I generally still reward and watch the timing of my turning in the next time.

The other thing I am very conscious about is giving the right line into a turn...to the point where I will choose the spot on each bar that I want my dog going over. Sometimes I want them to jump right through the middle of the jump & other times, I will set the line before the jump so they are taking it at an angle or taking it next to an upright.

the majority of dogs i see running wide on pinwheels & serps are doing so because their handlers are watching them go round rather than driving to position & providing direction. I was guilty of this for a long time. Most new handlers are.

Thanks Vickie, much appreciated. Lots to think about.

What do you mean by the bolded? What is your precue?

And another one just cos he's soo cute!

post-7937-1276723920_thumb.jpg

Woo Hoo another baby.

How did you choose him Nic - I can't wait to hear more about him :thumbsup:

He was the only boy! LOL I know both his parents and the chances of getting a low drive puppy from those two was pretty slim as both Mum and Dad are pretty full on. Then it was a case of wait to see if his conformation would be ok as he's going to be a show dog too and that checked out ok. Then at 6 weeks I assessed him and was really pleased with his attitude, he's a keen tugger already and I was with the breeder when we took them for their 6 week vaccinations and I was able to get him to tug in the vet clinic - somewhere he'd never been before that was strange and cold etc, that was all I needed to be sure he was going to be a good performance dog! Good nerves and keen to play with me both at home and in a new environment. Now as long as he gets his "bits" :love: then he's all set to come home! :laugh:

My precue is to bring my outside arm up. It's kind of like starting my front cross early but keeping my shoulders straight until i want the turn to actually happen. The arm coming up means my dog should be collecting and preparing for a turn. If on long straight stretch, it is very useful to get a tight turn at the end of it. it is also useful to avoid off course obstacles

you can see it here:

Arm comes up at 9 secs & stays up till 13 secs. You can see Shine collecting & wrapping the bars on the pinwheel

You can also see it here at 11, 18 & 26. it is helping her to stay collected despite tempting obstacles all over the place

Hope that makes sense.

Edited by Vickie

Now as long as he gets his "bits" :love: then he's all set to come home! :love:

Bits were a pre-requisite for me too :laugh:

At least your puppy has his! Mack is 8 weeks tomorrow and they've been located but haven't dropped yet, he's got til 9 weeks old for that to happen otherwise he's going elsewhere! I'm not having a repeat of the pup I kept last year from Ella's litter who had to be rehomed at 6 months old cos of a missing bit! :thumbsup:

Has your new boy got a name or is that going to wait til you get him?

My precue is to bring my outside arm up. It's kind of like starting my front cross early but keeping my shoulders straight until i want the turn to actually happen. The arm coming up means my dog should be collecting and preparing for a turn. If on long straight stretch, it is very useful to get a tight turn at the end of it. it is also useful to avoid off course obstacles

you can see it here:

Arm comes up at 9 secs & stays up till 13 secs. You can see Shine collecting & wrapping the bars on the pinwheel

You can also see it here at 11, 18 & 26. it is helping her to stay collected despite tempting obstacles all over the place

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks so much Vickie, I did watch that second video the other day and was intrigued by the opposite arm actions, it makes sense now.

Much appreciated :thumbsup:

I've got to have a little brag. :rofl: I started 2x2 weaves with Rory a couple of weeks ago during the school holidays. Yesterday evening in the dim twilight, he was really getting the weaving action on 4 (makeshift) poles straight. (I was using the uprights I made from the dowel according to ness's pattern - thanks ness).

Anyway, this afternoon I did the 4 makeshift again, then decided to see what he'd do with 4 official weavers. After having a problem at first, I realised I was trying to work him into the fading light, so I turned them around, and had him come in from the lighter end - and wahoooo - we have weaving! Both left and right entries :) .

Now to see if he can still do it tomorrow. :rofl: Loving the 2x2 :rofl:

Now to see if he can still do it tomorrow. :rofl: Loving the 2x2 :)

Woohoo that's great Tassie! I love 2x2, too!

I have been teaching Ruby, but not by the book :rofl: Before watching the DVD I had her going through 2 poles that were straight in line and when "opening" them she was like :rofl: So I have stuck my variated method out using "closed" poles and now we're up to 6 :rofl: Didn't take too long either :D She's not yet at 80% consistency so I am doing a couple more sessions before introducing the second set of 6 and a jump before it (yep, another thing I didn't stick by ;))

I'll be following it a lot more closely when I teach it to Millie, but as Ruby was already on her way before watching the DVD, I decided to just keep going the way I was :D