Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

Kids are on holidays - no obedience for a month - day 4 of our holidays and already they are annoying me.

So what does one do .....................

starts their agility training rofl1.gif This arvo we started channel weaves and introduced them to 1 jump and just to keep my motivation high I sent of my agility entries for the western classic today which is in March. NO Pressure wink.gif

:laugh: Tell me about it!!!! We are camping with the dogs in Bright and the training holiday is a fail thus far as they both are driving me nuts. Not easy training after lunch at a winery either :rofl:

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Ptolomy - If you are going into obedience withdrawal, I have an untrained little Aussie and an unfocussed Sibe in Bunbury that could keep you busy! Also aiming at the Western Classic....might be aiming a little high at this stage though :laugh:

I'm not Ptolomy but if she doesn't want to, I put my hand up for a go with the Aussie laugh.gif

Hi Ptolomy - If you are going into obedience withdrawal, I have an untrained little Aussie and an unfocussed Sibe in Bunbury that could keep you busy! Also aiming at the Western Classic....might be aiming a little high at this stage though :laugh:

I'm not Ptolomy but if she doesn't want to, I put my hand up for a go with the Aussie laugh.gif

Hmmm - wonder if I'll get any takers on the Sibe???? :rofl:

2 or 3 small (5 mins tops) training sessions a day isn't over doing it, is it? So super motivated atm! :)

Nope its perfect thumbsup1.gif

Cool. :thumbsup:

We haven't been dong much training the last 2 weeks busy busy in retail ATM.

I hear ya sista! :D

As I said before we are on holidays no obedience training whatsoever, but......we started weave training on the 13th December and I videoed Strauss a day or two ago and Cider tonight and this is where they are at.

Strauss

Cider

http://youtu.be/f-tyzxEJzJw

Have to say Cider has picked it up a lot quicker and does it with way more enthusiasm, but she is also better built for it.

Ptolomy, nice work!! I went and picked dog food up on Friday and saw your spiffy yellow weave poles set up in the front yard laugh.gif Careful or someone might pinch them laugh.gif

So how do you find teaching via channel method? Cider looks to be picking it up really well. I only have experience with 2x2 method and I need to revisit weaves this summer break because the past 6 months of virtually no agility training has taken its toll on my girls weaving, they've gone backwards :o While I will review 2x2 with them, I am thinking ahead for when I teach Pippa. Not sure if I should do 2x2 or pick your brains on the channel method!

I tried 2 x 2 with Cider a long time ago but my kids are so food focused or in her case, i-squeak focused that I found she was too busy watching me rather than where she should be going. I think it would also be easier with dogs that have had free shaping and I don't feel I have done enough with either of them - hence i went back to the method I know which is the channel one.

She has picked it up a lot quicker than Strauss, so while I wait for him to catch up I make her entries harder, which is something that I didn't do with any of the others. I may visit 2 x 2 with her further down the track, but will keep going with channels for the time being.

So how do you work entries with channel method? Do you kind of shape them to take the right one? I don't really know anything about this method :o

I hadn't done much, if any, free shaping with Millie, either. I trained her 2x2 with an isqueak. Took her a bit to take her eyes off me, and sometimes now if she knows I'm holding the isqueak she will pull out :o Hence remedial weave training this summer is my plan! laugh.gif That and training for the RATG next year!

That's great work Ptolomy! Cider is certainly quick but Strauss has a really nice head position too.

Oh, and the holiday from training is officially an epic fail :laugh: Found the perfect lake for water retrieve training when we were camping so Mr TSD kindly threw marks for Em plus I did some basic lefts, rights and backs into the water. My water hating Dally then became obsessed with swimming to retrieve the dummy (or his version of it :rofl:). But he wouldn't eat his dinner unless I trained him with it - 3 cups of dry food is an awful lot of jackpots!!!

Edited by The Spotted Devil