Tiggy

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Way to go, Coco!!! thumbsup1.gif

I'm such an obedience nerd. I want to do some agility with Pippa but I keep doing obedience with her instead laugh.gif I'm struggling to find a foundation agility exercise that I can't/won't morph into an obedience one :o Started her on her first jump last night (no more than 10cm off the ground - even though she leaps onto my bed which is pretty high for a bed!) but then when I try to do circle work with her, I turn it into a heelwork session rofl1.gif But she's just too much fun and I'm loving training a "little" dog. I get to have all the fun and none of the responsibility being that she's mum's dog! thumbsup1.gif

:laugh: RS - I do sort of know what you mean - Rory was going to be my next agility dog - and he may be one day ;) . I have done foundation agility stuff with him, and basic jumping training, and end contact behaviour, and a bit of sequencing and handling, but I tend to slide over to obedience because he really likes it, and is quite flashy, and I find it's easier to train when I don't have access to equipment on a regular basis.

I guess the nice thing about positive, motivational training is that it's really not that hard to switch and swap - certainly at the moderately competitive having fun level that I compete at. :laugh:

:laugh: Glad you get it, Tassie laugh.gif

I really do want to do agility with her, too, that was my main aim. But when it comes to obedience, I just can't help myself :o And as you say, can be trained anywhere due to not needing much equipment!

I had an impromptu training session at 9.30 last night in my jammies laugh.gif Shaping exercise to put her front paws on a phone book so I can start pivot work. She's got the feet thing happening, now to extend the time she holds them there! Then my dogs wanted in on the action rofl1.gif Training freaks when the clicker and treats come out! eek1.gif

Iv been so unmotivated and think i may actually stop competing in obeduence this year and give retrieving a go. It comes naturally with Mason and i wont get upset if he makes a mistake like i stress out in obedience. Plus i just have half the amount of time this year and an extra dog....

Time for me to post something of a brag. I just took Kenz who has been out of action for well over 12 months and not done much of anything outside to do a set of articles. I can't remember the last time I put out articles for her - may even have been November 2010 :eek:. She is still my baby novice dog who has only dabbled in UD exercises. I can count the number of times we have attempted articles on one hand just about well blow me away but she just nailed 3 for 3. My biggest issue is still having her retrieve the metal but there is absolutely nothing wrong with her scent work. I left the metal for the third one and she found the correct metal, picked it up and then got "thingy" about it. No second guessing, no baby dog not sure or insecure moments and she wasn't even reading it off me as I deliberately put myself half out of sight.

God she is such a good little girl - fingers crossed we can get back to trialling this year she is really something a little bit special and she knows it.

Too hot to train much... but....I have an active Kelpie who is driving me and the other dogs nuts!!! Started scent discrimination this morning....by George I think he's got it!!!!!! I used the Denise Fenzi method with plastic toothbrush containers and he was finding my scent without even thinking about it. Very quick and easy way to teach the basics :thumbsup:

Glad to hear the kelpie is good at something rofl1.gif I was starting to get a bit worried wink.gif I think I will use this method with my next one, although I have to say the dog scout way has been good for us.

My kids are all climbing the walls to so we had a session in the hallway this morning with all 7 - sitting on a mat. Soggy is learning to stand from a sit and a down just in case she ever gets to UDX eek1.gif. The best part was watching the retired kids you would have thought Lexi and Dekka had won lotto.

I can just imagine Ptolomy :laugh:

Jasper goes through his repertoire along with the others and gets a treat no matter what he does :laugh: I have to lock the others away if I want to train scent or something specific otherwise I have three all trying to outdo the others! Makes for some quick sits and downs though :thumbsup:

Too hot to train much... but....I have an active Kelpie who is driving me and the other dogs nuts!!! Started scent discrimination this morning....by George I think he's got it!!!!!! I used the Denise Fenzi method with plastic toothbrush containers and he was finding my scent without even thinking about it. Very quick and easy way to teach the basics :thumbsup:

Hey Bedazzledx2 what is the Denise Fenzi method and what do you do with the plastic toothbrush containers

Thanks Ptolomy... instead of tins I found some plastic toothbrush holders which come apart in the middle so easy to put food in and easy to fade out the food and reward from me. I did look for tins thinking about metal but since Zac is quite happy to pinch my airing metals I'm not overly concerned about that!

Hmmm maybe I should hunt out some metal tins - I HATE METAL - no KENZ HATES METAL :mad. We made progress, we went backwards, we made progress, we went backwards we ended up backwards :mad.

We did have a nice impromptu game of find the scent stick underneath the sprinkler up at the university this afternoon. She was most upset when she lost the scented one and couldn't find it. Funny I couldn't find it either.