Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Your dog does not have to be washed but should be clean and groomed.

My dogs don't have skin issues so have no worries with a wash beforehand.

I would never go into the ring without my dog looked well groomed and I am no winner in the fashion stakes, but neat and clean.

No it shouldn't have a bearing on your scores but it shows pride in yourself and your dog.

I never allow my kids to go to town in farm clothes and crocs either :)

Edited by OSoSwift

jrm88, there are certainly better people on here to advise, but thought I'd throw in my 2 cents worth.

I have had some success with my recent 2 dogs with teaching heel by frequent rewarding in heel position (stationary position) to build up value for being there. Then take a step or two and keep the rewards coming, reward every step if need to (which is a good idea if the dog is only just learning or is totally bored by heeling - but I don't lure when walking). Then if I got in too late with rewarding before my dog looks away/got distracted, I run away in the opposite direction, every time they look away! They sure as heck notice me running away and then run after me, and as soon as they catch up and hit heel position, reward! It becomes a game and helps them understand to pay attention. You can also use a similar approach by throwing treats away from you and keep walking and then when they come back and find heel position, reward, heel a few more steps, then throw another bit.

If you have access to the Patty Ruzzo DVD where she talks about heeling, I highly recommend it. It's her approach I've taken for dogs after I bored Ruby, my first obedience dog, to tears with paddock-bashing style heeling. It's worked wonders with my second Lab, and my newest project, my mum's mini schnauzer :thumbsup:

Hi RS - Can you please let me know the name for the Patty Ruzzo DVD you are referring too? I've bored Zazu with paddock bashing too, and don't want to make the same mistake with Kyte.

jrm88, there are certainly better people on here to advise, but thought I'd throw in my 2 cents worth.

I have had some success with my recent 2 dogs with teaching heel by frequent rewarding in heel position (stationary position) to build up value for being there. Then take a step or two and keep the rewards coming, reward every step if need to (which is a good idea if the dog is only just learning or is totally bored by heeling - but I don't lure when walking). Then if I got in too late with rewarding before my dog looks away/got distracted, I run away in the opposite direction, every time they look away! They sure as heck notice me running away and then run after me, and as soon as they catch up and hit heel position, reward! It becomes a game and helps them understand to pay attention. You can also use a similar approach by throwing treats away from you and keep walking and then when they come back and find heel position, reward, heel a few more steps, then throw another bit.

If you have access to the Patty Ruzzo DVD where she talks about heeling, I highly recommend it. It's her approach I've taken for dogs after I bored Ruby, my first obedience dog, to tears with paddock-bashing style heeling. It's worked wonders with my second Lab, and my newest project, my mum's mini schnauzer

Hi RS - Can you please let me know the name for the Patty Ruzzo DVD you are referring too? I've bored Zazu with paddock bashing too, and don't want to make the same mistake with Kyte.

Competition Basics :)

We're losing points in obedience trials for wide turns (right abouts are our worst). No problems in slow pace but the faster we go the worse they become, so fast pace is just a mess. I've been doing some work with hand touches which is working well until I remove the "touch" hand signal then it all falls apart again :o

Suggestions pleeeeeeeeease?

Edit: Her static turns are lovely and tight if that makes a difference.

Another edit: Oh how I long for short fast paces, but the judges don't seem to think like me... I think our last one had at least 4 turns in fast pace :eek:

Edited by wuffles

Something I do in fast pace (and sometimes in normal) is throw my arms or legs around. I've always been a bit unco, but it sends Annie out wide. I have to really concentrate on keeping my turns neat and tidy, arms and legs tucked in. Maybe the same is happening for you?

Something I do in fast pace (and sometimes in normal) is throw my arms or legs around. I've always been a bit unco, but it sends Annie out wide. I have to really concentrate on keeping my turns neat and tidy, arms and legs tucked in. Maybe the same is happening for you?

Hrmm. I will have to get some video and have a look. I don't think I'm one to throw my arms and legs around but stranger things have been observed when watching video of myself :rofl:

laugh.gif I still haven't taken video of myself and Annie- it would be hideous! I don't really throw them around, but sometimes my leg will kick out slightly or my elbow will go out. I think it was too many years of ballet!

I was going to suggest videoing it if you haven't got it on video already! Can make it so much easier to spot handling errors especially if you have a couple of people you can run it by for pointers.

Edited by huski

Elsie heelwork

Quick video of us playing around in the kitchen, she seems to be trying to go behind me a bit now since we got left turns sort of figured out, we have not really been training for a week as she's been spayed, and since coming back she has been forging... our first little trial is next weekend! So freaking nervous! But at least Elsie enjoys it LOL. Any thoughts? Ideas to stop forging? Been rewarding for correct position and releasing to a reward plate behind sometimes. This is my first obedience dog so I am so scared of ruining her!! I've already made some mistakes, but we're having fun learning!

HI,

I just watched your video, I cant help you with any advice but I love the way she manages to stay glued to your side when you go backwards, so cute!!

4 sleeps until our first trial *deep breath*

She is doing really well, hopefully nerves don't get the better of me, I can read the rally signs and Elsie can hold still for the 2 minute down stay... Oh and no forging!! Managed to get pretty straight fronts from heel last week, still needs to wiggle a bit, but am happy so far... Wondering if we should get started on the retrieve in case we win into novice quickly!

Will go and buy some nice black pants and a white shirt for obedience tomorrow... Have been looking for an excuse to buy grown-up clothes, obedience will do :D

HI,

I just watched your video, I cant help you with any advice but I love the way she manages to stay glued to your side when you go backwards, so cute!!

Thanks! She is pretty adorable and soo much fun :)

She is gorgeous DiscoDobe - how old is she? I really love the smooth coated BC's, but have also kind of considered the idea of a smaller dog for agility. If a boy version of Elsie came along here in Vic I'd have a very hard time saying no :o:eek:

Good luck for your first trial :D

She is gorgeous DiscoDobe - how old is she? I really love the smooth coated BC's, but have also kind of considered the idea of a smaller dog for agility. If a boy version of Elsie came along here in Vic I'd have a very hard time saying no :o:eek:

Good luck for your first trial :D

Thanks!

She will be 6 months old on Friday. I had been looking for a smooth coat Border, or a small heading dog, but have always loved the terrier/BC mixes that I see at agility and saw Elsie's accident litter being given away and couldn't resist, it was all too perfect LOL.

I love the size (she is 9kg and should be staying in mini height class for agility), easy care coat, that terrier attitude combined with Border smarts... Very fun dogs! The foxy/BC mixes I know are such stunning dogs, there's a long hair boy here who looks like a little fox- gorgeous!

She sounds awesome - and I could imagine her being so much fun :D I would find a similar mix very hard to resist :o

Aw - thought you were sold on the Darcy-Em sideshow :laugh: Hours of entertainment!!!

Good luck in your first trial DD :thumbsup:

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Aw - thought you were sold on the Darcy-Em sideshow :laugh: Hours of entertainment!!!

:laugh: I don't think I've ever seen two dogs take so bloody long to decide to have a play or not, so much negotiation that went nowhere :rofl: Maybe we should just let them for an off-lead play next time and leave them to it :D At least Ziggy knew what he wanted out of the whole deal... :rofl:

Hi everyone!! It's been a while! The pups and I moved house and are finally getting back into the swing of things!!

Nothing really to update except Rev is just about ready for his first OB trial (except that I forgot about stays!! :o )

And Jedi is entered in Open in a couple of weeks so that'll be intereting! Hoping to just make it to stays. It's been sooooo long since we've been in the OB ring!

I am also rediscovering obedience! Neither dog has really done any since before Zora had her season (so mid Feb) and today I dusted off the Rally signs and had a go. It was very fun for me, my dogs are at such different training levels but also have such different levels of enthusiasm. Zora has so much pep and is taking to duration work like a duck to water, Toby is the product of at least 18 months of work. :laugh: Zora has lots of polishing to go though - slack owner for not teaching her stuff like turns or rear end awareness.

Toby is my little plodder, his heeling style is not the fanciest but he does his job and performs it all correctly (except when the spooky signs flapping distracts him!) :laugh: