Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

Awww huski I'm sorry :( I totally understand the nerves thing! I get soooo nervous with Ruby because I have no idea what she is going to throw at me that trial. She'll either work great or work like she's never set foot in a ring before! And then she always manages to embarrass me by either running off to the stewards or the judge to jump on, or gives the judges kisses in the SFE :coffee:

You and Daisy work GREAT, you just have some nerves to get over and you guys will be knocking those passes over in no time!!! She's already proven she is more than capable in a Novice setting so just take a deep breath and relax cos you have the lead for this one!

It only sometimes help me to think this way, but when it does it is worth it - I figure, I can be nervous as hell desperately wanting a pass, but when it ends in us bombing out, being nervous didn't change the outcome in the end, it probably contributed to bombing. I have also noticed my walking style is more stiff when I'm nervous and I get some pretty bad heelwork, so when I walk a bit more casually, I usually get better results. I am guessing my more laidback walking style is making the dog feel more at ease.

I'm looking forward to the night time trials, so then I might down a Cruiser before I walk into the ring and see if that helps my nerves ;) Can't really do that at morning trials (without getting weird looks) ;)

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm looking forward to the night time trials, so then I might down a Cruiser before I walk into the ring and see if that helps my nerves :coffee: Can't really do that at morning trials (without getting weird looks) ;)

Maybe you should invest in a hip flask ;)

Bummer Seita and Sue & Cindy!! ;) Better luck at the next one ;)

Thanks.

I didn't have nerves in the pm trial at all Huski. I nearly left the ring after the heeling and before the SFE and recall. :coffee:

The judge asked me if she was that scarey I had to run away. I looked blank and then remembered.

Huski I so understand-I am a basket case.

I see huski lurking, how did Daisy go????

Best not to ask :coffee:

Sometimes I feel like giving up, I am a mess at trials, my nerves are ridiculous and it is effecting Daisy terribly ;)

*hugs* I'm sorry it didn't go as planned. You'll get a pass! Keep going!

I see huski lurking, how did Daisy go????

Best not to ask :coffee:

Sometimes I feel like giving up, I am a mess at trials, my nerves are ridiculous and it is effecting Daisy terribly ;)

Huski I have always been a basket case when it comes to nerves..So I have started doing what I used to do at uni exam time. Take Vitamin B. It works on the nervous system and for me manages to take the edge off so that I can actually function.

I use an executive stress formula and take one tablet a day for a week before the trial. It works for me so I dont care if someone says to me it is only mind over matter so long as it works.

Whatever you do dont give up!!!

Absolutely! I'm a lover of Valerian for humans and dogs!

Well we stuffed both yesterday :laugh: got to stays but i have now found out that diesel is scared of dalmations :coffee: both stays were next to dalmations and as soon as they looked him he either submited and rolled over or got up to hide behind me ;) i was pretty upset yesterday arvo (sorry dolers i didnt say good buy to) because he has only ever broken stays once :( so because we are out for the next 4 or so months we are on a mission to find a dalmation to befriend oh the joy of trials and iv only been to 4 ;)

Can you head to a dog show and do some work when the Dallies are in?

I have a harelquin Great Dane, could he pass for a Dallie?

Edited by sas

Well we had great fun at the double trial today. #rd both times but no Q. First up the grass was too wet so she wouldn't drop. Score or 82 in CCD but no heeling pass.

In the pm trial she was stuffed and didn't want to work so lagged. The positive was that I enjoyed myself and in both trials she only lost 4 points excluding heeling. 10/10 for SFE so I was stoked since we have had trouble with that. She also heeled very well off lead in the recall. Her stays were great-no fidgeting. In the am trial I was very happy with my handling and we worked well. The PM we were both tired. I may only enter one trial per day. Not sure.

Bugger! Can you have hear wear a jacket that has a belly flap like the Chilly Dog ones?

Huski don't worry you can't be any worse than me! My girl once tried to nick off out the ring she was so affected by my nerves. I clearly was petrified of something and she wasn't sticking around to find out what! Eventually you stop getting so wound up, most of it comes from the desire to get a pass and with time you learn to be more pragmatic.

Chin up! Thing can only improve. Failing that the hip flask sounds like a good idea!

Well we had great fun at the double trial today. #rd both times but no Q. First up the grass was too wet so she wouldn't drop. Score or 82 in CCD but no heeling pass.

In the pm trial she was stuffed and didn't want to work so lagged. The positive was that I enjoyed myself and in both trials she only lost 4 points excluding heeling. 10/10 for SFE so I was stoked since we have had trouble with that. She also heeled very well off lead in the recall. Her stays were great-no fidgeting. In the am trial I was very happy with my handling and we worked well. The PM we were both tired. I may only enter one trial per day. Not sure.

Bugger! Can you have hear wear a jacket that has a belly flap like the Chilly Dog ones?

When I put her coat on she freezes and looks at me with sad eyes as if to say "why are you making me wear this-I look silly". She hates it so much that she will not even walk to me for a treat-not even fresh frankfurt. It is so funny!

Seita - sounds as though Ella is really settling into her UD work - I haven't been in this thread much, but you certainly should be proud of your training and her efforts :coffee:

Huski - I know how you feel :laugh:. I used to get SO nervous for trials - only found one solution for it... UD trialling ;) There are so many avenues your dog can muck up you just can't get nervous about it!! :(

Might I suggest to you that at your next trial, just think of something you would REALLY like Daisy to do well. It can be one thing. It can be super easy or maybe something you've been training on. I set little goals like 'I would like to walk in a straight line' or 'I would like Kinta to do her left about turns properly' or 'I would like Leo to find his seekback'.

If I set these little goals for myself, I find myself a LOT calmer, I have fun, and I feel like someone gave me a million dollars when the dog gets it right :o.

Have a think about the things you've been working on with Daisy - or even just to reduce your nerves, choose something she does really well and aim for that. with Kinta, when she was being her nervous self, it was something like 'I would like her to have fun with me between exercises' ;)

I have every faith that you and Daisy will get there. Not to mention - you didn't exactly choose the 'easy' breed like the rest of us now did you?!?! ROFL!

Well we stuffed both yesterday :D got to stays but i have now found out that diesel is scared of dalmations :o both stays were next to dalmations and as soon as they looked him he either submited and rolled over or got up to hide behind me :rofl: i was pretty upset yesterday arvo (sorry dolers i didnt say good buy to) because he has only ever broken stays once :o so because we are out for the next 4 or so months we are on a mission to find a dalmation to befriend oh the joy of trials and iv only been to 4 :cry:

Can you head to a dog show and do some work when the Dallies are in?

I have a harelquin Great Dane, could he pass for a Dallie?

Thanks for the offer Sas i really apriciate it :eek: our vet nurse is a dallie breeder so i have set up a meet and greet for the end of the week hears hopeing its a one off :D

Awww Huski don't give up! You can both do it, we all know you are both capable of great things! I still get quite nervous too but it does get better, although if you are putting pressure on yourself I think they flare up again. Hope you find a good strategy soon.

Does anyone have tips on teaching a SFE? I've got her to stand and wait, then I walk ahead, turn and watch for a moment, then return to her side, is it just a matter of increasing the time and then getting people to stand near her, then touch her quickly and then build up for a proper SFE?

Awww Huski don't give up! You can both do it, we all know you are both capable of great things! I still get quite nervous too but it does get better, although if you are putting pressure on yourself I think they flare up again. Hope you find a good strategy soon.

Does anyone have tips on teaching a SFE? I've got her to stand and wait, then I walk ahead, turn and watch for a moment, then return to her side, is it just a matter of increasing the time and then getting people to stand near her, then touch her quickly and then build up for a proper SFE?

Since when do you need a SFE in agility :hug::)

Since when do you need a SFE in agility :hug: :p

Didn't you hear? It's the new start line stay requirement....

Since when do you need a SFE in agility :) :p

I heard a rumour that the little black number has some awesome heelwork happening :eek:

Amypie speak to Rubystar about teaching a SFE :D

Yep, ask me how to still not have a successful SFE after 3 years of training and 18 months of trialling and still going into the ring "hoping" :(

But Ptolomy did show me a good trick that has progressed Ruby's SFE better in 1 week than it has in 2 years. What I wanna know is, why she took so damn long to share this secret :o:) :D Will show you next time I see you Amy :)

Edited by RubyStar

Yep, ask me how to still not have a successful SFE after 3 years of training and 18 months of trialling and still going into the ring "hoping" :hug:

That's why I suggested Amypie ask you - you have every method downpat and lots of experience :)

:) RubyStar about the SFE. I haven't even attempted one with Kenz yet :o . But we are now have some reasonable turns happening rather than via goodness knows where. I think she wants to do her turns via WA or the moon or somewhere :hug: .

Since when do you need a SFE in agility :hug: :p

It's a new rule, when the dog is on a table the judge does a SFE :o

Yep, ask me how to still not have a successful SFE after 3 years of training and 18 months of trialling and still going into the ring "hoping" :eek:

But Ptolomy did show me a good trick that has progressed Ruby's SFE better in 1 week than it has in 2 years. What I wanna know is, why she took so damn long to share this secret :) :D :p Will show you next time I see you Amy :)

:( Okay will suss it out on Thursday (if the weather improves!) and will try not to break it prematurely before then :)

Yep, ask me how to still not have a successful SFE after 3 years of training and 18 months of trialling and still going into the ring "hoping" :D

That's why I suggested Amypie ask you - you have every method downpat and lots of experience :)

:p Okay well only tell me the good methods please :D

So many things to teach!