My Poor Dogue

Nekhbet

Poor Skooty ... we found a lump last week (came up very fast) and went for a check up. Given his family history of cancer I got a bit worried. Yesterday he had the surgery to completely remove it and sent off for pathology to make sure it's simply a cyst and not a tumor. Mind you lump was roughly over a 5c piece size and in the skin

P2090026.jpg

P2090017.jpg

:) poor baby! He wouldnt drink at all last night so I had to syringe water in, he turned his lip at any bowl :) At least he took his food OK :)

Walking about this morning at least I can trust him not to fall over when he tries to pee today ;)

Edited by Nekhbet

My Patch had a mole removed on his belly on Monday too. His stitches are only about 5 cm long though! He has milked it for all its worth :) Aside from breakfast, he didn't move from his couch yesterday until about 4:30 when I got some cheese from the fridge :) He was out and over to me like lightning...

Hope your man feels better soon - Patch sends his sympathies.

Wow thats a huge incision! Was there heaps of the lump under the skin? Cos that's a hell of a battle wound for something the size of a 5c piece.

That's a pretty normal size incision when you're taking out something you're not sure what it is. You need to make sure you completely excise the lump, so you take a lot of the surrounding tissue as well.

An unidentified rapidly appearing lump in an area with loose skin would get at least 2cm margins on either side, if not 3cm to cover the possibility of a mast cell tumour. The good thing about elliptical incisions is that they are easy to close, the down side is they get longer when they are closed :)

Hey Nekhbet - that's great news and I bet you are relieved :thumbsup:

Just a question though - could the lump not have been investigated by way of needle biopsy to determine whether it needed so much of it removed (or removed at all)? Or would the needle biopsy not have been 100% conclusive anyway?

Either way, it's gone and the news is all good and once the hair is grown back you probably won't even be able to tell there's been an op at all.

Big dogs especially appear so vulnerable when they're all floppy and under the affects of GA. Glad all is getting back to normal and well :laugh:.

Edited by Erny

ahh nah thats OK :thumbsup: Vet erred on the side of caution too and removed it like it was a cancer so if it was positive we wouldnt have to come back for round 2 of excising.

Poor man had something that FNA'd as a cyst and turned out to be cancerous upon removal.