Dogs That Love To Swim

JaxD

I've taught all three of my dogs to like water. They all hated it to begin with. My corgi was the worst, and she ended up being the keenest swimmer. We walk in just out of reach and lure the dogs in with treats. Each time we lure them a little further. Kivi still won't swim, but Erik does, although he needs to gain more confidence in the water.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the all the replies, everyone..

bertandsally - Do you have a pic of Bert in his lifejacket? I'm trying to imagine what he'd look like and I just can't... :(

I'm sorry I dont actually have any yet, been too scared to take my camera to the beach in case one of the dogs started sinking and i needed to rush in the water baywatch style :)

I am definently taking it next time tho, so stay tuned for Bert in his life jacket looking all self conscious and hoping the big dogs arent laughing at him! :laugh:

I'm loving reading everyone's posts.. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks so much felix and tdierikx for the great pics!

bertandsally, can't wait to see Bert in his life-jacket.. If he looks as good as huga's little pug then I'm sure the other dogs will be really jealous.. :(

Hey T are they the pups?

My 3 hardly ever get to swim, not any water intown I would let them swim in.

They have never been to the sea.

But when we got out to my friends place, they all jump into the spring dam.

Especially Loulou and Gilly, they love it.

Gilly likes a good puddle to lay in.

The first time I took my lab near the river I think he was around 12 weeks old, he jumped in and swam, no fear of water which scares me as he will follow people swimming at the beach etc and just not come back! He is an extremely strong swimmer and outswims all humans!

I held Saxon under his tummy the first time he tried swimming but it only took about 20 seconds for his little legs to get going and then he was fine. I don't think he loves swimming but seems happy to follow me around if I'm in the water too. He's learning to fetch sticks in the water now too, which is very cute. While he's swimming he always seems to have an expression on his face like he's thinking "I'm not sure what I'm doing or why I'm doing it..." :(

Timmy loves sudsy warm baths and showers .... but loathes any other type of water. I tried as a pup in still quiet water to get him into it and whilst he *can* swim he chooses not to.

I'm sure he thinks - I'm WARM wash only you idiots! Do you want me shrinking even smaller?? :laugh:

Timmy loves sudsy warm baths and showers .... but loathes any other type of water. I tried as a pup in still quiet water to get him into it and whilst he *can* swim he chooses not to.

I'm sure he thinks - I'm WARM wash only you idiots! Do you want me shrinking even smaller?? :laugh:

It might be a little dog thing..mine are both littlies (pom and maltese)...perhaps they find the sea overwhelming?

It might be a little dog thing..mine are both littlies (pom and maltese)...perhaps they find the sea overwhelming?

I used to think that but it is ALL water, ponds, lakes, waveless sea, pools, rockpools. The look of indignation as he merrily ventured along a sea wall only to land in a rock pool was priceless. He just stood there in neck deep water looking most annoyed! :laugh:

Oooh Hug how cute is she in her little jacket! That is adorable.

Our girl loooves the water.

The second day of having her home she started the digging in the water bowl trick and so now she has her clam pool. She isn't a huge fan of the beach but she is getting better with each visit. As long as it's a flat calm day she is ok. The first time she went out of her depth she almost sunk but then she just started to paddle and the grin on her face when she came out the water was priceless. She then did it a few more times as if to say, hey look at me, look what I'm doing! before it got a litte to wavey for her.

Echo loves the water and jumps in it as soon as she sees it. I am working on getting her to swim but at the moment she is content to stay in chest height water.

I put a life jacket on her at the begining as the first time we went to the pool she looked like she wanted to jump off the deep end like the big dogs. and she did not know how to swim yet and I did not want her to panic.

IMG_1456.jpg

She will go in upto her chest by herself and will follow toys further out, but then realises her feet can not longer touch the ground and comes back to the shallows.

IMG_1798-1.jpg

IMG_1690.jpg

Food can also tempt her out to swim.

IMG_1920.jpg

I am going slowley with her as I don't want to scare her.

Sir buggerlugs hates the water. Can you see the death glare for chucking him in? It does turn out that he will go into the water if offered the right motivation. Which for him is his new boyfriend also in the water.

DSCN0978.jpg

Edited by Evolving

For Sydney owners, Sirius Cove in Mosman is a GREAT dog beach, and hardly anyone there during the week! It shallows out a long way and also has a great grassy reserve in front of it.

Thanks for the tip, pugman.. :crossfingers: Will definitely give it a try once Badger is old enough..

Lestat the Lab hates the ocean but loves dams and rivers (he seems to hate the salt water :crossfingers: ), he was never taught to swim so much as just jumped in one day.

The Samoyeds both love water, they don't really swim, I think their coats get too heavy but they love splashing around

of mine/family dogs..

Ari was a natural from day one - now will swim out far to retreive

Spartan - hated it from the first day, and will only paddle in the sea if he has to

James - another natural, he probably loves water most out of them all... he is an excellent swimmer, and sometimes will just stand in his bucket of water!

Sorrel (my mums wei) is another vertical swimmer, and funnily enough, our other two weis sparky and tansy were as well. They would still swim though, as unco as they were at it, to get the ball. Sorrell might paddle a bit, but as soon as she has to swim she will try to swim for me then cling to me with her scary nails!!

Charlie the OES is a great swimmer, and will happily go in paddling around... the hardest thing for him though is that he has to work a bit harder due to his full coat. Getting out is the hard part!