Desexing Age (and A Couple Photos) :)

Beth.

Hi Everyone :(

I'm sorry if this has been done a million times (but I just have NO luck when searching through the forums), but I was wanting some opinions on when I should Look at getting Lottie desexed. She's about 2 weeks off 6 months :mad:mad ;) ;) Time flies when you're having fun!!!! Anyway, i'm just trying to decide when I get her desexed, the pros and cons about before and after her first heat. I thought i'd see what other peoples opinions are :):mad

Thanks heaps!!!!!!

Oh and thought i'd show you how my beautiful girl is growing!!!!!!!

This one is of her when she was 6 weeks (the photo the breeder sent through)

Puppies2028120of207291.jpg

And now at nearly 6 months!!!!!

IMG_0978.jpg

089.jpg

095.jpg

I don't have any thoughts against desexing from a young age.

Infact; i would much rather have her done before her first season; then to go three three weeks of tarty hell and stray dogs visiting just to desex her afterwards.

It's your choice, and no one elses, but i honestly have no problem with desexing at 12weeks or whatever.

For what it's worth; Bliss, my dog's sister was done at 6months, she's an australian shepherd and took to it no problem.

have a look at drug sensitivity with australian shephers, i know some aussies who arent affected by MDR1 still can't take many painkillers.

Discuss with your vet. :(

As a pet owner I've had my bitches desexed before their first season and never had any problems.

I believe this just about removes any chance of mammary cancer. I think the incidence of mammary cancer increases with each season.

Plus I really couldn't be bothered going through a season and worrying about bleeding, other dogs etc.

Everyone is going to have a different oppinion on this and it really depends on you as the owner as to what you choose.

If it was me and I could supervise her while she is in season I would let her go until the 12-18 months mark. There are benefits to desexing before the first season ie, lowest chances of mammory cancers and almost 0% chance of pyo, but there are also benefits to leaving it a little longer too.

You just have to decide if the pro's outweight the cons :rock:

Did you sign a desexing contract with the breeder? This may influence the decision somewhat too :laugh:

ETA: http://www2.dcn.org/orgs/ddtc/sfiles/LongT...euterInDogs.pdf

Edited by SecretKei

I would discuss it with your vet and your breeder.

We desexed our female before her first season and she didn't end up being desexed until 9 months. In the past I had desexed at the 6 months age, because it was the 'done' thing. I don't think either age had an effect because our other female dogs were all larger than her and still had good bone structure and body.

I would also keep in mind that some vets will charge more for a mature spey than for a dog under the age of one don't know if this is an issue for you though, personally I dont think it is worth waiting if you are going to do it anyway as mentioned before once they come into season the incidence of mammary tumors etc is already significantly increased.

We had our lab done at 6 months, no problems. Jenna was done earlier at about 18 weeks, same time as she had another op. No problems so far with her either.

You Aussie Girl is absolutely gorgeous :(

Edited by teekay

Thanks for the lovely comments about my girl, she's the love of my life, hehehe!!!! :thumbsup:

And thanks everyone for your information, it definately gives me something to have a think about!! I had a chat to the vet about it last time, but she just said to get her done before 6 months (or first season), as thats what they do. Great idea about talking to the breeder..... :( *off to email my breeder* and see what she recommends as well!

Thanks again everyone :laugh:

I have two girls from the same litter, both desexed at 6 months, one week apart (don't ask, was meant to be the same day).

One now has hormonal incontinence and is on stilbestrol, the other.. I'm suspect about.

Any other bitch that enters my household that's not a show dog will be desexed after their first season. Just my opinion from my personal experience.

Edited by ~Erin~

Steve I read the article and it is scarry. So many dogs have been desexed by their owners who wanted only the best for them. There will be a lot of owners feeling guilty (I desexed one of my dogs) :confused:

Perhaps sometimes it is unavoidable when for example a testicle has not descended.

It shows that one should not blindly follow any trends and question your vet's decision.

Everything should be researched thoroughly. I for one will never desex my dogs.

If you can keep her inside & mentally stimulated without having to leave the house for the period of her season, I would at least wait until she has one, preferably 2 seasons. As others have said, it gives her time to mature.

Honestly, keeping an entire bitch is not that difficult (especially if you live in suburbia and can keep the bitch indoors). I have NEVER had dogs "knocking down my door" or fences to get at my girls when they are in season??? All we do is keep them inside 99% of the time, taking them out to the yard on lead or under strict supervision (but always on lead when they are 'standing'), and crate them inside when we have to go out :)

I will be including a copy of the PDF that Steve linked to in my puppy pack in the hope that my buyers will fully discuss the pros & cons of the operation with their vet and make an informed decision (and suggesting they wait until after the first season for bitches and until the growth plates have closed on dogs). I also am offering a rebate if they choose to desex, but it will not be given if the pup is desexed prior to 6 months of age.