The Slow Walk

snake catcher

Why do dogs do "the slow walk"

My dog ,and ive seen others do it to,

does this funny stiff legged walk slowly around

bushes, sometimes cars, like he stalking something.

Its quite funny to watch as he get a real serious,

worried look on his face when he does it.

Can anyone offer a theory as to why they do this hilarious ritual.

Hi

If it's what I think- I certainly don't see it as hilarious :(

You said it yourself

he get a real serious,

worried look on his face when he does it.

and that is exactly what he is-

usually when they do this, they are being very cautious and a bit worried- they are checking something out- and are ready to run if necessary...

a bit like if you came home late one night- the front door was ajar... and you walked around checking things out ... you would be also serious,worried and walking in a tense manner :thumbsup:

It can be "stalking" - predatory behaviour

I've also seen it with displays of dominance around another dog. Drawing themselves up makes them appear more intimidating.

Then again, the "I've got to go" walk before urinating or defecating can also look a bit like this.. :(

If a dog is approaching my dogs or me stiff legged, I'm usually on my guard.

Sounds to me like trancing - our Phoebe does it under the ferns in the back yard - slow motion, tail out - she gets her jollies from the ferns tickling along her back.

Thankyou Anniek,that sounds exactly like it.

Can you see the funny side of this ritual?

Trancing is something most Bull Terriers do. Am yet to meet one that doesn't. I'm pretty sure Teebs has a vid on YouTube of Atlas trancing.

Sounds to me like trancing - our Phoebe does it under the ferns in the back yard - slow motion, tail out - she gets her jollies from the ferns tickling along her back.

Thankyou Anniek,that sounds exactly like it.

Can you see the funny side of this ritual?

Yes it's bloody funny - you try to explain to people but they just don't get it - then they see it and understand... and can't stopping looking and laughing

trance2c.jpg

P1010010.jpg

I remember seeing a friend's Bull Terrier do this as she walked under a hay net hanging from the horse float and the hay touched her back. It was like someone flicked a switch and it put her into slow motion. Her owner said she also did it at home if she walked under the curtains. Can't say she looked worried though.

Trancing is something most Bull Terriers do. Am yet to meet one that doesn't. I'm pretty sure Teebs has a vid on YouTube of Atlas trancing.

All the dogs that i have seen do it have some sort of bullterrier in them.

My m&m has ameriacn staffy, kelpie and ridgeback in him.

Thankyou BullyT

Our dogs(not any bull breeds) do that when they are being tickeld/stroked by shrubbery-they go backwards and forwards ,getting their backs gently massage d... sure- but I certainly wouldn't describe it as a stiff legged ,worried ,searching-for-something- action :(- they have a far-away look.

If the OP's dog is doing this type of walk AROUND bushes and cars.... as if it is looking for a cat- then it does sound different .

hey, snake catcher can you get a photo of your dog doing this ? It will be interesting to see his body language :thumbsup:

Hmmm.. not sure, but I will stick by my first hypothesis - The dog is wary- sniffing continually at a scent which may be a tomcat or something.... something seen as a bit threatening, but fascinating.

The dog seems very aware of what is going on,is listening hard, and reacts quickly to movements/sounds/the touch of a branch on his tail....

dunno ;)

In some instances it does look like trancing but he does seem quite alert too. Our cross breed girl used to get a far-away look in her eyes as if she was thinking this is the best thing ever and would creep under the tablecloths so they brushed her back and do little licks with her tongue.