What's The Right Thing To Do...

RL1

I have just spent over $8000 on colourbond fencing at my first home. The fence came before unpacking. toilets and sinks that don't drain properly and a flyscreen on a window or two wouldn't have gone astray.

But my dogs are my priority and I spent ages after the fences were up plugging the tiny (or not so tiny) gap under the fences. I have a chi x who can get out in 8 cm. So I made sure she couldn't. But if she had I would not expect anyone else to be respondsible but me.

I am stunned at the bill. But like others I think a gift would be nice. The idea of a gift card from Bunnings is good too as I know that I was in and out of Bunnings nearly every day at first.

Let us know how it goes.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Everyone i've spoken to about this has told me not to pay a cent. I already told them i would contribute, but i didn't mention a figure

QUOTE (SecretKei @ 4th Mar 2010 - 11:18 AM)

Instead of giving them money offer to come over and help them patch up the fence from their side so that this can NEVER happen again. If it makes you feel better tell them that you will pay for the materials and do the work for them.

I know I'd much prefer a neighbour who was honest and wanted to be part of the solution rather than one who threw a bit of money over the fence and said "well now it's not my problem".

You havent said a figure , so doesnt mean it cant be a gift of above mentioned as in crates , bed , toys etc

I like the idea of the fence repair for neighbour as mentioned above

and just a general question . why does Good will Gesture have to include money

I have very goodwill with my neighbours on the side of us

we both look out for each others dogs and house if either of us are out or away

we can reply on each other without any money exchanged , and help each other when needed

to me that is good will for looking out for each other or pets

I fed the old neighbours cat while she was in hospital , she offered money but it was declined

Well thanks guys, people were asked for opinions, I gave mine and got kicked in the guts repeatedly by poster after poster. And as for the PM I got, I have never received such a nasty, bullying, hurtful PM on any forum before.

Well I dunno, but if poster after poster disagreed with me I would probably be wondering whether a) I was on the wrong track and maybe need to rethink things or b) I have an issue with the way I am communicating my thoughts

But hey if playing the victim rocks your boat then you should hang around :laugh:

Well thanks guys, people were asked for opinions, I gave mine and got kicked in the guts repeatedly by poster after poster. And as for the PM I got, I have never received such a nasty, bullying, hurtful PM on any forum before.

You were not "kicked in the guts" by anyone. Other people simply disagreed with you. Some even gave you detailed reasons why they disagreed with you. There's nothing wrong with that. Its called having a discussion.

Sorry for your situation, poor puppy, but NOT your fault. YOU had a secure fenced yard. I personally wouldn't pay any money toward the vet bill as that 'may' been seen as admitting guilt in some way. I would, however, buy a dog crate and some toys for the puppy to recover in.

Wishing you all the best!

Slightly OT but thought I'd add this just in case people aren't aware although I can't speak for any pet insurance company other than Pet Secure, who Justice is insured with. They have a policy that if you are uninsured and your dog has an accident you can contact them and sign up over the phone before having your animal treated and you will be covered immediately. It only applies to accidents though, not illnesses. If your dog has an illness and you join up a waiting period applies. I know the standard response is probably going to be something along the lines of "how could anyone make their dog wait for treatment while their owner phones in to secure insurance" but it's worth keeping in mind. Obviously if your dog's life is at risk and time is of the essence then just get your dog to the vet as fast as possible but if you are in a situation where you can keep your dog calm and comfortable for an extra 5 minutes, have someone who can drive to the vet while someone else phones in for the insurance or would have to put your pet down if the cost gets too high then it could be well worth making that phone call. I wasn't sure if anyone was aware of this and it could potentially save you thousands if you're not insured at the time of an accident.

Very handy thing to know, thanks for the heads up!

Actually, I was going to suggest some nice (quiet) puppy toys like a decent Kong, a ticking teddy etc as no doubt puppy will have to be confined and quiet for a good few months.

And also to purchase them some puppy insurance as a gift for 6 months or a year?? Maybe the one already mentioned would be a good idea? :( I personally wouldn't donate cash unless I was sure my dog was the cause of the incident which it seems like your dog was not.

West Chermside is very expensive so I wouldn't doubt the bill :o

ETA: Years ago when I lived in Victoria, my cat would walk along the (tall) paling fence and tease the Stafford next door who would leap up to try and grab her. Well one day, he did get her and she scratched his eye which required very expensive (at the time) surgery. She was unharmed but he ran off crying to his mummy.......I paid the bill.

Edited by t-time

Sorry for your situation, poor puppy, but NOT your fault. YOU had a secure fenced yard. I personally wouldn't pay any money toward the vet bill as that 'may' been seen as admitting guilt in some way. I would, however, buy a dog crate and some toys for the puppy to recover in.

Wishing you all the best!

They've spoilt it rotten already with several beds and toys ect.

I just don't know what to do, or to give now. Been thinking about it all day, as i told them i'd come back and see them this weekend.

Actually, I was going to suggest some nice (quiet) puppy toys like a decent Kong, a ticking teddy etc as no doubt puppy will have to be confined and quiet for a good few months.

And also to purchase them some puppy insurance as a gift for 6 months or a year?? Maybe the one already mentioned would be a good idea? :eek: I personally wouldn't donate cash unless I was sure my dog was the cause of the incident which it seems like your dog was not.

West Chermside is very expensive so I wouldn't doubt the bill :rofl:

ETA: Years ago when I lived in Victoria, my cat would walk along the (tall) paling fence and tease the Stafford next door who would leap up to try and grab her. Well one day, he did get her and she scratched his eye which required very expensive (at the time) surgery. She was unharmed but he ran off crying to his mummy.......I paid the bill.

It wasn't West Chermside. It was at Albany Creek.

The strange part is the owner said the pup will be back to his normal self in about 3 weeks. You'd think it would take longer with the type of injury the pup has.

OT

Do you think they will keep letting the dog run around on an unfenced property? I guess pup isnt registered? We have to state what fencing we have on our registration, if we dont have any fence then no registration.

I have an internal boundary fence as well (house yard), similar situation with the neighbours new staffy dog. I told him till i was blue in the face not to let his staffy test the gates. well the dog copped it, no lessons were learnt even after his dog got a belting, dogs dead now, got smoked by a car.

Edited by GeckoTree

OT

Do you think they will keep letting the dog run around on an unfenced property? I guess pup isnt registered? We have to state what fencing we have on our registration, if we dont have any fence then no registration.

I have an internal boundary fence as well (house yard), similar situation with the neighbours new staffy dog. I told him till i was blue in the face not to let his staffy test the gates. well the dog copped it, no lessons were learnt even after his dog got a belting, dogs dead now, got smoked by a car.

Their property is fully fenced, if you include my side.

The strange part is the owner said the pup will be back to his normal self in about 3 weeks. You'd think it would take longer with the type of injury the pup has.

if the pup has a broken bone.. it would take more than 3 weeks to heal.

Do you think it would be bad if i stopped in at the vet ER and asked about the injury/cost ? Would they even give me any details ??

I wouldn't want the neighbours to know i went behind their back though. I don't really want to ask to view the bill direct from the neighbours.

Edited by RottyLover01

Do you think it would be bad if i stopped in at the vet ER and asked about the injury/cost ? Would they even give me any details ??

I wouldn't want the neighbours to know i went behind their back though. I don't really want to ask to view the bill direct from the neighbours.

i don't think the vets will give you those details.

"If" you are in any way thinking of contributing to the bill, then if it were me, I would ask to see the itemised bill first. No ifs no buts.

If they are now saying the puppy will be fine in 3 weeks time after the "injury" it received, then something is not quite right.

3 weeks to heal from multiple fractures? Something sounds a little fishy there...

Offer to come over and help fix their side of the fence so that their baby is contained and safe from doing itself any more injuries...

T.

When our Rotti stepped on our Chihuahua (accidently) He broke the tops of the 5 little bones in his lower leg, his total vet bill was close to the same but I think we had to keep him crated and quiet for around somewhere between 8 and 12 weeks (I cant remember which one it was) 3 weeks seems like a very short time..