1 Week Old, Not Suckling.

sallywill

Hi, Mischa is the one week old pup of Mollie, I posted the story HERE

She isn't suckling from Mollie. We try and put her on as she is crying, but she wont latch on. She crawls away and yelps in the corner?

Any ideas before I head off to the vet and get formula?

Belly ache or I hate to say it, she's a fading puppy or a puppy that is failing to thrive. If she had a temp drop at birth or has not been sustained at a consistently warm temperature during the week, it's quite likely that she is fading.

Get a hot water bottle of a heat pack ( make sure it's not too hot ) wrap it in a towel and place her on it in a basket or box on her own so she can't crawl away.

Belly ache or I hate to say it, she's a fading puppy or a puppy that is failing to thrive. If she had a temp drop at birth or has not been sustained at a consistently warm temperature during the week, it's quite likely that she is fading.

Get a hot water bottle of a heat pack ( make sure it's not too hot ) wrap it in a towel and place her on it in a basket or box on her own so she can't crawl away.

:o Serious???

She stops crying when we hold her.

Now Im freaking out.

Take the pup to the vet, she may also have the start or a respiritory infection, hence why she doesn't want to suckle.

There's a liver rememdy up in the breeders forum, I think it's instructions are pinned at the top.

The main thing is to keep her warm and to keep the fluids up. You may need to learn how to tube feed. Puppies fade very fast and are usually gone within 24/48 hours, it's very important that if you notice anything abnormal with pups , that you seek help straight away.

Edited by SBT123

Here is the recipe for the beef liver remedy. It is really good if pups are fading.

BEEF LIVER REMEDY FOR FADING PUPPIES

It's so simple.....Large piece of Beef Liver, little bit of water, boil

slowly, about 5 minutes until the blood comes out. Let cool, drain the

liquid and put just 4 drops (no matter the breed) into a dropper and give to puppy.

At first you give it every 2 hours for 12 hours, then every 4 hours. The article says you can do this for however long you have to, until you feel the puppy is thriving.

I would be very concerned. Pups eat and sleep. If they don't suckle which is their very first instinct then something is wrong. Crying is an indication all is not well. The longer you leave it the less chance you have of the pup surviving. They go down hill very fast at this age. Vet ASAP. Also get the pup on some heat ASAP. Pups cannot regulate their temperature for the first couple of weeks of life. To me pups sounds chilled and possibly an infection. Swift action is needed or the pup will die.

Good luck!

Hi, Mischa is the one week old pup of Mollie, I posted the story HERE

She isn't suckling from Mollie. We try and put her on as she is crying, but she wont latch on. She crawls away and yelps in the corner?

Any ideas before I head off to the vet and get formula?

As others have said

please take the puppy to the vet asap as it is dying unless its course is reversed.

Good luck

Sorry to hear Mischa isn't suckling. Will she suck on your finger? If not it's likely that she's in bad shape. If so, it's likely that there's something about Molly that isn't working.

If you do go to the vet and she/he recommends feeding formula, you might ask about tube feeding. It sounds horrid, but it can be much easier and effective for feeding very young pups . . . provided you do it right.