Bl**dy Up-the-road Dog.

pebbles

Ok so I'm having a 'sound-off' sorry, there's no-one else to vent to!

My Silky bitch is in season, right on at the moment. Two blocks away an old guy has a kelpie which roams around. He's been in trouble with the ranger many times. Last Thursday the dog was hanging around and I spent all day chasing it home. Jumps into my yard on Friday so I phone the ranger. Ranger phones owner and tells him AGAIN to keep it at home.

Didn't see the dog over the weekend but I'm keeping mine inside and going out with her to be sure. Mine are locked inside during the night. At 7am this morning mine are going crazy - damm dog is in the house yard and has pushed the verandah door open. Chase it away and put mine in the car and go visit the owner, the dog is home and he says he will lock it in. Quite a few harsh words exchanged. I go to the shop on the way back, check my yards, let mine out of the car and this bl**dy dog comes out of my house! He had pushed the verandah door open and gone in through the dog door. Rang the ranger, of course, he's not there, left a message. Now we are barracaded in the house. Reckon I'm going to have to renew my gun licence and get a gun. grrrrr stupid owner is going to cost this dog dearly.

Ok feel better now, vent over :crossfingers:

Why don't you ask the ranger to take him and have him impounded, so if the owner wants him back, he'll have to empty part of his pocket. Having said that, it's not the dog's fault, and it seems the owner is a very irresponsible one and in the end, it's the dog that suffers the consequences.

Why don't you ask the ranger to take him and have him impounded, so if the owner wants him back, he'll have to empty part of his pocket. Having said that, it's not the dog's fault, and it seems the owner is a very irresponsible one and in the end, it's the dog that suffers the consequences.

I aggree here. Get the ranger to impound the dog. Its oviously causing problems, and the owner is being irresponsible by letting it roam free. I know where I live we're not allowed to have dogs off lead outside of the property boundaries (Its an actual fineable offence) is that the same where you live? If so he could be fined as well as having to pay to get the dog out of the pound.

Bit of a story here - I know the Ranger has impounded the dog a number of times but being a small community the old guy has a sob to the Shire President , 'my companion', 'no money for fines' 'etc' and gets the dog back. The ranger is very frustrated about the situation. And I'm getting madder by the minute :crossfingers: I made the mistake of chasing the dog away to start with so now I cant get near it to catch it and do something.

Bit of a story here - I know the Ranger has impounded the dog a number of times but being a small community the old guy has a sob to the Shire President , 'my companion', 'no money for fines' 'etc' and gets the dog back. The ranger is very frustrated about the situation. And I'm getting madder by the minute :crossfingers: I made the mistake of chasing the dog away to start with so now I cant get near it to catch it and do something.

One might question how the dog is his "companion" if the dog is always out?

Sob to the shire president? That sounds quite dodgy to me. Perhaps seek legal advice?

Guest Willow

Have you stressed to the council that the dog is going in your house, not just on your property outside???

Jeez, if I were you I would be mad as all hell too, no one should have to put up with this, especialy with a bitch in heat!!! Is his dog entire???

Just had a call from the Ranger, he was going to come here but at the moment he's tied up with dogs attacking stock - poor fellow he has a huge territory to cover and doesn't know what to do about this local dog. Yes, he knows the dog was in the house and yes, the dog is entire. This is a very small place surrounded by sheep and wheat country and things are different here - the community is more 'family' than just 'people' and situations are handled differently from in a city. The old guy is a stubborn person but then I can be a b*tch where my dog's welfare is concerned so it will get sorted eventually. It's a nuisance having to keep the dogs locked in and go out with them for toileting and another concern is, not only the girl in season but Mick, Miniature Pinscher, really wants to kill this stranger on his property and he'd have no hope against a Kelpie.

It would also be disappering if it was doing that at my place as well.

Roaming and being annoying is bad enough, but going into your house - that is not on.

I also agree the dog is not being much of a companion if it is never home!

I would suggest the bloke gets it desexed, then at least you are not having to worry about mis-matings on top of everything else.

Some people have no bloody brains.

Hope you get a resolution very soon.

If the ranger and/or council are being useless then go over their heads. I would be considering

1. The police

2. The RSPCA

3. Contacting the local MP - if you follow up in writing they are obliged to investigate why the Council is not taking appropriate action on this stray dog.

ANy or all of the above. I know it can be difficult in a small community but your situation is beyond ridiculous!

Edited by spottychick

we had a similar problem with a Staffy. the Staffy was besotted by my Dane. The Staffy broke a lot of our property (plants, swinging chair, gate) put deep scratches in our front door. Sometimes you wouldn't know he was out the fron and you would opent he door to collect the mail and he would barge in.

To make it worse my beautiful Dane had neurological problems and the Staffy would knock him to the ground and hump him all over. Getting him off was nearly impossible as he didn't wear a collar and he took less than no notice of yelling/screaming.

Once when my parents came to visit in their new car he jumped on their bonnet and then up onto the roof of the car :rofl:

I called the rangers so many times but it was always 'out of hours' :)

They kept advising me to drive him out to the pound myself - but there was no way I was going to put my kids in a car with an out-of-control dog (car is a sedan- so couldn't exactly tie him up in the boot!).

In the end the owners promised they were going to get him desexed - but I think he ended up being pts. They told me he could jump their fences yet I am skeptical as he only ever 'visited' outside pound hours :rofl: bit of a coincidence hey?

anyway I also wanted to say that I hope you can get the situation resolved :rofl: and I really feel for you :rofl:

It's ok pebbles, my gun licence is up to date. Last thing either of us want is a silky x kelpie litter. Might come for a visit lol it's only 4 hours driving, be back here for breakfast. It is so annoying when people don't keep their dogs in the yard but it happens so often in a small town, especially when they can do so much damage.