Boy Dog Question

mrs tornsocks

Our almost 1 year lab was sleeping next to the lounge the other night, hubby and I were playing Xbox (yes we are adults).

We heard Archie wagging his tail for no apparent reason, thumping on the floorboards, and I made some comment like 'awww, Archie, are you having a lovely dream running through the meadows ??'

When we got up, he'd had a dream alright, but it wasn't especially lovely for our floorboards. Nor for OH, I told him he had to clean it up because he's the boy. :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure it was normal but I have never heard of a dog having a wet dream !??? But we are novice dog owners.

He is is not desexed but we ARE having him desexed, just waiting a tiny bit longer in hopes his overbite might improve (school of thought that inhibition of testosterone may inhibit growth slightly)

I don't know whether desexing would improve it but I hope it would! Some of my male dogs do have little deposits on their boy bits.

One of them did actually get a penis infection once, it was dreadful. Off to the vets. Couldn't believe the treatment was topical cream though - 3 times a day for a week :( ;)

The things we do for our dogs - mine just laid back and took the treatment without complaint :rolleyes: :o

Yep, very normal for an entire, healthy male.

Some do it in their sleep, some do it awake, some don't do it at all.

My boy likes to enjoy himself, fully awake, right in front of us. It is quite a spectacle, full of motion and sound affects, but luckily he is a clean boy, and does not leave anything behind :o

OH is not impressed, but that's men for you.

I just ensure he retracts correctly, and has no issues there, but other than that I have no concerns with it. It is better than him being frustrated. :coffee:

Yep, very normal for an entire, healthy male.

Some do it in their sleep, some do it awake, some don't do it at all.

My boy likes to enjoy himself, fully awake, right in front of us. It is quite a spectacle, full of motion and sound affects, but luckily he is a clean boy, and does not leave anything behind :(

OH is not impressed, but that's men for you.

I just ensure he retracts correctly, and has no issues there, but other than that I have no concerns with it. It is better than him being frustrated. :eek:

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, sound effects ??!?!!?!?

At least Archie was asleep, I probably would not have figured what it was if we hadn't heard his tail wagging for no apparent reason whatsoever.

Thanks for the reassurances that it's normal.

This is the only time we've known him to do it but maybe he has his own little times away from us.

Has definitely made OH get over his silly little protests about having Archie desexed (acts like it's his OWN being snipped) :love:

Edited by mrs tornsocks

Our almost 1 year lab was sleeping next to the lounge the other night, hubby and I were playing Xbox (yes we are adults).

We heard Archie wagging his tail for no apparent reason, thumping on the floorboards, and I made some comment like 'awww, Archie, are you having a lovely dream running through the meadows ??'

When we got up, he'd had a dream alright, but it wasn't especially lovely for our floorboards. Nor for OH, I told him he had to clean it up because he's the boy.

I'm pretty sure it was normal but I have never heard of a dog having a wet dream !??? But we are novice dog owners.

He is is not desexed but we ARE having him desexed, just waiting a tiny bit longer in hopes his overbite might improve (school of thought that inhibition of testosterone may inhibit growth slightly)

Awwww how sweet that his tail was wagging madly while he was having a lovely dream :-). As others have said it is quite normal. A lot of boy dogs I know have a special 'friend' for special 'loving' time - a stuffed toy or cushion. If you train them that this is their one and only special friend, they can go to it when required, and avoid using things you'd rather not be humped :love:

When we got up, he'd had a dream alright, but it wasn't especially lovely for our floorboards. Nor for OH, I told him he had to clean it up because he's the boy.

Awwww how sweet that his tail was wagging madly while he was having a lovely dream :-). As others have said it is quite normal. A lot of boy dogs I know have a special 'friend' for special 'loving' time - a stuffed toy or cushion. If you train them that this is their one and only special friend, they can go to it when required, and avoid using things you'd rather not be humped :rofl:

Red pillow is the special friend in our house and gets humped to within inch of its life. But have never seen him, er, finishing the job with the red pillow.