Absolutely Gutted -

Shakti

Thanks again to everybody (apart from LongCoat) who has understood my sadness at having to face this decision. Hopefully some of teh wonderful people on DOL who have PM'ed me will be able to come up with a solution by the weekend.

These foster kids may not be *mine* but.....no, no point in debating the issue of whether a dog I have bought and paid for and loved for five years is *more* my responsibility than the children my husband and I have taken into our home and our family with the implicit promise that they will be safe and loved.

I really really appreciate the wisdom and compassion of thos ewho have replied especially those who have been in a similar position.

Sorry Brooke, this is a dog forum and talking about PTS to engage in other activities regardless of what they may be IMO is a disgrace when you have the choice. You asked for an opinion and this is mine. Re-home your dog if you must, but PTS , I can't wear that :rainbowbridge:

Rehome to where Longcoat? Are you offering? How many perfectly nice dogs with no agression issues whatsoever are PTS every day? It is hard enough to find homes for them let alone a dog with a history of agression towards people. And how would you feel if you rehomed a dog you knew was people agressive, only to hear that that dog went on to bite/attack someone quite badly?

I don't see how this dog can be rehomed unless it is going to someone who is a very experienced trainer/handler and who is prepared to work on the dog's aggression issues. Even then Brooke has to decide if that's what she wants to do knowing that sometimes "rehomed" dogs end up in all sorts of bad situations. :(

Brooke I am very sorry to hear about your situation, must be awful for you, I can't imagine it. :rofl: Sounds like you've had a lot of PMs and now you've spoken to the breeder as well - I hope some sort of resolution comes from that.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I,m with Longcoat on this, He should be your first priority..in my opinion hes not happy in the current environment and hes showing it.

If fostering kids comes first in your book then your dog should be re homed. I have a 4yo gsd who was surrendered by her former owners, she is now a very much loved happy adjusted dog in a new home.

I,m with Longcoat on this, He should be your first priority..in my opinion hes not happy in the current environment and hes showing it.

If fostering kids comes first in your book then your dog should be re homed. I have a 4yo gsd who was surrendered by her former owners, she is now a very much loved happy adjusted dog in a new home.

Should her own children be sent to foster care so the dog can stay?

Dear Dogmad,

We have an unused Granny Flat which I use to house any fosters I may have. That is not an option for Ben to be locked in as it is basically one room plus a toilet. Thanks for your concern though!

Hard situation, I don't think this situation can be helped by penning the dog as it may make the matter worse and the dog sounds like it would be less than happy :-)

The hardest decisions in life often are the ones that leave us the most broken hearted, but you have to make the decision that best benefits the dog :-)

this dog needs to be rehomed in a knowlegable home with a confident handler and one experienced with the breed, sadly I can not see a home like that coming up anytime soon :( but hope it does for the dogs sake :D

I admit my first thought was you can't rehome the dog it's not fair, but you have to take your emotions out of the equation and look at what's best for the dog as I said no point keeping a dog in an unhappy situation because you feel responsible, if you love your dog you naturally want the best for them :-)

Thanks for the support and the kind words everyone! As we are running out of options, it seems more and more likely that my lovely boy may have to be PTS. I still have my fingers crossed that a GSD trainer will take him but the replies so far have not been encouraging.

I feel like my heart is breaking as I watch him galloping about the backyard so full of life and so beautiful.

You must be joking Brooke :( The dog belongs to you, the foster kids don't.......no contest is it really???.

Longcoat, you are a tool.

I wish you would take your distasteful and inappropriate comments somewhere else ...

Actually although I seldom agree with anything Longcoat says, on this subject I feel exactly the same way, I would never dispose of my dogs so that I could keep other peoples children. As someone else said, different people have different priorities.

Sad. Though not unexpected from a forum full of children haters.

Sorry Brooke, this is a dog forum and talking about PTS to engage in other activities regardless of what they may be IMO is a disgrace when you have the choice. You asked for an opinion and this is mine. Re-home your dog if you must, but PTS , I can't wear that :D

Good thing the OP doesn't give a crap what you can or cannot wear.

WTF do you suggest that she does with the teenage foster children she has??? Simply 'send them back'?? Where do you think these children will go? Or do you not care? Honestly, you people are stupid.

Edited by spotty

Brooke, I would be gutted if I had to make a choice like that but the dogs best interests are the most important thing as heartbreaking as it would be..

Hoping everything works out and he finds a good home with someone experienced....

Dear Dogmad,

We have an unused Granny Flat which I use to house any fosters I may have. That is not an option for Ben to be locked in as it is basically one room plus a toilet. Thanks for your concern though!

Actually Brooke, whether they mix directly with your dog or not, they could be causing him further stress plus they are taking up your time. All these children, all the foster kids and then foster animals? How many foster animals do you have at the moment?

They might be locked in your granny flat but your dog would be able to smell/hear them for sure.

You will always have my concern. :(

At this moment and for the past six months we have had..............1 female cat with us.

I offer a lot but have not actually been taken up on any of my offers. The use of the word *all* does rather imply hordes and hordes. The issue is not so much numbers as it is I think different faces ie the family unit is not static.

Anyway this is all just conjecture on my part - I guess I just wanted to get some more opinions from the knowledgeable people on here in the hopes that maybe we could find a solution

Brooke - he is not the first animal you will have rehomed because of issues? Why not post down in rescue and see if someone can help you out and offer him a foster place.

If your dogs is having issues then taking on other animals is so unfair. I think moving Ben to a foster home would possibly be his best option, is there some GSD folk who can you point you in the direction of a suitable rescue?

Edited by Winterpaws

Thanks for the suggestion Pockets - I am a member of the GSD Club but when I spoke to the woman in charge of re-homing she said it would be difficult to re-home him as most people inquiring through her would not be able to handle a dog with his issues. I have also contacted several of the instructors at the club individually for their opinions etc so that may yet pan out.

My main concern is that he may have brain lesions (as has been suggested to me) (or some neurological issue) and that no matter who owns him, these issues will only continue and probably worsen..

I have already emailed a veterinary Behaviorist to see if we can do some tests to eliminate the possibility of brain lesions or some other such illness which would not show up in the general exam and am waiting to hear back.

Winterpaws I do not know what you are referring to sorry. I have NEVER rehomed any of my animals before although I have occasionally asked on here for advice about re-homing relatives or friends animals as opposed to them simply advertising them as being FTGH

Winterpaws you may not have read all this thread but I do not believe that simply putting him in a foster home is going to help the situation or Ben.

ETA I do not want to get into a public slanging match over my priorities - I simply wanted some advice and opinions as to what might be the best option for my gorgeous boy!

I have received that - thanks to those who offered compassion and a big thanks to all those who offered some constructive suggestions which I will certainly follow up on.

Edited by Brooke