Gsd Accident

Gilypoo

You could have runs up this weekend .. but clearly you need to think about putting down a concrete slab is digging is an issue.

Unfortunatly I have looked into this option as it was my most perfered.. (OH had the final say)

Our council is VERY VERY strict and anything with a concrete floor needs building approval. Ive spoken to them and they have said that the application is likely to get rejected because of where we need to build it... I am trying to work around these issues. At the very least if they approve the application without questions, it takes an average of 3 weeks, longer beacuse of the easter break..

Clay pavers may solve the issue.. lay them over gravel.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

For dig proof flooring, an easy way is lay wire reinforcing mesh on the ground-erect the run over it--- cover with soil/gravel, and 'bob's your uncle'! Drains well, dig proof, and needs no council hoo haa!It is what we use :D

Gily I can really empathise with you about this situation because although my dogs do not escape they are serial door dashers. I have tried everything and to this day whilst they are better I will never ever trust them.

My girl was hit by a car a few months ago as she ran out the door and onto the road. I know how you feel, it is aweful.

I'm not entirely sure I believe the comments about not being able to develop road sense as my parents farm dogs have awesome road sense. Just not entirely sure how you develop it for pet dogs who aren't around cars and motorbikes etc. all the time.

I know you didn't post about trying to stop your dogs escaping so ignore from here on if you don't want to hear it. But firstly have you consulted a behaviouralist? Secondly, I have seen environmental enrichment do wonders with escaping dogs. It is much more than just a kong or treat ball to occupy them. THere is SO much more too it. If you would like some more information on what you could try then let me know.

For dig proof flooring, an easy way is lay wire reinforcing mesh on the ground-erect the run over it--- cover with soil/gravel, and 'bob's your uncle'! Drains well, dig proof, and needs no council hoo haa!It is what we use :mad

I like the way everyone is thinking... Thanks... Now I just have to convince the OH... I might sell my body :D

For dig proof flooring, an easy way is lay wire reinforcing mesh on the ground-erect the run over it--- cover with soil/gravel, and 'bob's your uncle'! Drains well, dig proof, and needs no council hoo haa!It is what we use :mad

I like the way everyone is thinking... Thanks... Now I just have to convince the OH... I might sell my body :D

A couple of runs will be a hell of a lot cheaper than the vet bill for a dog hit by a car. That should convince him.

Gily I can really empathise with you about this situation because although my dogs do not escape they are serial door dashers. I have tried everything and to this day whilst they are better I will never ever trust them.

My girl was hit by a car a few months ago as she ran out the door and onto the road. I know how you feel, it is aweful.

I'm not entirely sure I believe the comments about not being able to develop road sense as my parents farm dogs have awesome road sense. Just not entirely sure how you develop it for pet dogs who aren't around cars and motorbikes etc. all the time.

I know you didn't post about trying to stop your dogs escaping so ignore from here on if you don't want to hear it. But firstly have you consulted a behaviouralist? Secondly, I have seen environmental enrichment do wonders with escaping dogs. It is much more than just a kong or treat ball to occupy them. THere is SO much more too it. If you would like some more information on what you could try then let me know.

Kiesha I've solved the door dashing problem by putting a yard off both front and back doors, not very aesthetically pleasing but my piece of mind was worth more :D

Secondly, I have seen environmental enrichment do wonders with escaping dogs. It is much more than just a kong or treat ball to occupy them.

Def interested in anything that will help... What is this??? :D

A couple of runs will be a hell of a lot cheaper than the vet bill for a dog hit by a car. That should convince him.

Then I would actually have to admit to him how much I spend on them and that would start a whole new thread :D

I know its bad but they are his and her girls and the GSD is technically "His"(we are married and got them within a week apart , a GSD is his dream dog and a Dane was mine.. Hence the his and hers) so I think it actually made him open his eyes about it....

You say you've used an electronic confinement system but that it didn't work. I do prefer the use of an electric fence (as in for horses) as it provides visual cue to the dogs (both inside and to those who are outside the property), but I'm interested to know what didn't work with the confinement system you have.

I'm imagining dogs digging at the fence line ignoring the stimulation from the confinement line ????

Clay pavers may solve the issue.. lay them over gravel.
For dig proof flooring, an easy way is lay wire reinforcing mesh on the ground-erect the run over it--- cover with soil/gravel, and 'bob's your uncle'! Drains well, dig proof, and needs no council hoo haa!It is what we use :D

I think poodlefan and persephone's posts are great ideas and both are a fairly quick and easy solution...

WnH - I'm just in the process of saving to put up a fence out the front too to solve the issue as well. My only solution really since I'll never trust them again.

I have an article about this at home which is fantastic. Would be easiest if I email it to you so if you want to PM me your email address I'll send it onto you tonight when I get home.

Basically the principle is that our back yards are exactly the same for our dogs as a zoo enclosure is to zoo animals. However, just as zoo animals get bored and start displaying boredome behaviours - think swaying elephants and pacing bears, our dogs start displaying boredome behaviours too eg escaping, barking, digging etc.

Zoo keepers have been very successful in reducing the boredome behaviours displayed in zoo animals by environmental enrichment programs. This can involve food eg. different kinds, hidden so they have to find it, etc, Environmental textures - eg changing their enclosures frequently by putting in new branches, adding sand, gravel, dirt etc. so it is constantly changing, adding different scents - eg scattering different herbs around, spraying different scents around etc changing their sleeping arrangements so they are moving around all the time etc.

The polar bears at Sea World here in Australia are a fantastic example of how environmental enrichment can improve the quality of life for captive animals.

Now I know that above is all about zoo animals but by applying many of the same principles to dogs (exercise, training, food, environmental textures, scencts, sleep etc) you too can reduce boredom behaviours and possibly reduce the incidences of escapism. Although you will probably never trust your dog completely it could be of some help. Really we should all be implementing this kind of thing into the daily lives of our animals to ensure their mental wellbeing is being catered for. Yes it is a bit more work but this is what it takes.

Google has some great links as well.

but I'm interested to know what didn't work with the confinement system you have.

Everything doesnt work about the bloody thing :D She has worked out that if she runs fast enouf she only gets a little zap.. We think what is happening is the Dane digs the hole, the GSD runs through it then the Dane follows. We are plaining on getting the Dane a collar tonight to hopefully stop this..

from what the neighbours have told me it is ALWAYS the GSD out 1st... We have looked into the actual zappy fence stuff (my mum and dad had it for there dogs and it worked a treat) I dont think that it will work for us as nothing can be touching it from what I have heard. We have ALOT of trees on our property and I dont think we would be able to have it without something touching it..

Suprise Suprise the Shore wont let us touch the trees either :mad

We think what is happening is the Dane digs the hole, the GSD runs through it then the Dane follows. We are plaining on getting the Dane a collar tonight to hopefully stop this..

If I thought that as the GSD's only escape route, I would've switched the collar over to the Dane before now. That would've stopped the Dane from digging and providing the escape route for the GSD.

The beauty of electric fences is that you can set them up to wind in, through and around obstacles such as trees. Or are you saying that it is scrub? That would prove more difficult.

Edited by Erny

We think what is happening is the Dane digs the hole, the GSD runs through it then the Dane follows. We are plaining on getting the Dane a collar tonight to hopefully stop this..

If I thought that as the GSD's only escape route, I would've switched the collar over to the Dane before now. That would've stopped the Dane from digging and providing the escape route for the GSD.

The beauty of electric fences is that you can set them up to wind in, through and around obstacles such as trees. Or are you saying that it is scrub? That would prove more difficult.

Unfortunalty we have everything on our block. We are waiting for the fire season to be over so we can clear it and hopefully be able to use the other type of fencing...

Because we only have 1 collar the dogs have out smarted us.. They use a tag team principal, the one that has the collar on sits back and waits while the other digs...

I work 1hr away from the nearest supplier of the same type of containment fencing that we have so I cant get into to get one. But as it is late night shopping tonight I will DEFINATLEY be making the trip in..

You can have runs custom made by most fencing places, just draw up a design of what you would like and get a quote :D

As for flooring either have it made with the floor attached (like a giant crate), or -as others have already suggested- lay either pavers or mesh underneath. We had ours done by a local shedding and fencing company for under $1000, fits a large dog fine and MUCH cheaper than a vets bill.

I think the pavers are a great idea. Go with the big ones though. My rough collie managed to dig up a couple of small pavers from the edge of our out door area when she was in a real mood. She was 10 years old at the time too. Not exactly young and sprightly. You can get ones that are about a foot square and at least it will look nice too. Good luck if I had an escape artist I would never be able to relax worrying about them.

We laid pavers in our runs, and then used a cement powder, swept into the cracks and hosed down. Worked well for us. And was easy to lift when we had to move it.

Yes, it's such a simple solution :D no excuse for the OP not to do it...

Edited by Aziah

I was thinking the exact thing. We have done this all along our chook fencing so the dogs cant dig under to get to the chooks. They have tried to dig but hit the mesh and go no further. We have it at least a meter on both sides and buried.