He's Going To Kill Me

Annabel

So my GSP seems to have got bored one day and chewed my number plate off my car. That was weeks ago. I just got back from shopping and she's chewed my partner's car number plate, plus scratched the back of his car. It's a collectors edition Monaro... OH.MY.GOD.

It's like one behavioural problem comes out after another at the moment. I'm doing some pretty intense training and it's like I get control of one thing and she does another.

Help. Me. Please.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pack and run :):) .

That wasn't the sort of help I was after...

Yep leave town.

I'm sensing a theme here...

I'm going to wash, cut and polish the car... try and get the scratches out... but the number plate... it's ch-e-w-e-d... realllllll good.

Yep leave town.

agree :) :p

I would be freaking out!!

Please please remember prevention is the key. Do not allow this to happen by keeping the dog in a safe area while you are no there to supervise. Out of sight = in trouble, for any dog. The only way to stop it is yes training, but also by not allowing it to occur in the first place. I have a 'room' for my dogs that is dog proof :) although now they are older they are fine and can be trusted (as long as there is nothing NOTHING our anywhere in the kitchen and bins are in LOCK DOWN etc. It's all common sense, just think, would I leave a 15 month old child in here and trust them to be 'good' while I am out for several hours?? NEGATIVE :):)

make sure OH realises it is NOT the dog's fault, not done on purpose etc. just a lack of 'thinking' on the human's part.

I would not call chewing something available or accidentally scratching a car (dogs do have claws after all!) a behavioural problem, it's a human problem. :laugh::(

Can't you get a new licence plate from the licensing department? Might cost you but I'm sure there are provisions for licence plates to be replaced ifthey are damaged???

+ 1

I would be ringing wherever he got the licence plate from and following it up with them - I'm sure they have heard "The dog ate my car" before :)

Do you know a good car person that you can ring re. the scratches?

And maybe buy a cover for the car?

I really do feel for you, and yes puppies can be super trying at the best of times, but.... and I do really mean this in the nicest possible way.... puppies will chew, and you already knew your puppy enjoyed chewing number plates, so in affect, by leaving puppy again in a situation where he can do so is simply reinforcing that he did a good job the first time and probably an even better job the 2nd time. He is being trained and proofed to chew number plates, and was rewarded the first time by being able to do it again.

So, roll up the paper and belt yourself over the head with it. :) Do not leave puppy and cars in the one garage or yard again until puppy has grown out of chewing.

The take OH out for a nice dinner and suck up.

Things like this are more of a owner training issue than a puppy training issue. You cannot train puppy not to chew whilst he is not being supervised. Just remove everything he is not allowed to chew. This is not a behavioural problem.

Good luck with OH.

...oooops, re read your OP and now not sure if your dog is a puppy. Same principal applies, but belt yourself again over the head a bit harder for allowing your dog to be bored.

You know he is a chewer. Set yourself up for a win and don't keep tempting fate.

I do sincerely hope OH does not give you a hard time over the number plate.

Most of us have made these same mistakes at one point or another. We all live and learn.

I am pretty sure you can just pay to get a replacement number plate issued.

Edited by dyzney

Can't you get a new licence plate from the licensing department? Might cost you but I'm sure there are provisions for licence plates to be replaced ifthey are damaged???

+ 1

I would be ringing wherever he got the licence plate from and following it up with them - I'm sure they have heard "The dog ate my car" before :)

Do you know a good car person that you can ring re. the scratches?

And maybe buy a cover for the car?

And buy some huge bones to entertain the dog......So he can use his teeth on those

My BF would never let the dogs near his car, we have 2 very separate area.

I cannot even begin to imagine the way you are feeling right now. Make sure you tell him it has happened though because as well as you cover it up, remember he is MALE it is HIS car and he WILL notice.

Best of luck.

You & the dog need to hide until you have new plates for him & dare come back. Book in a caravan somewhere.

My sister had something similar.

Argued with husband & had the keys to our parents house, who were on holiday, so stormed off there, with german shepherd in tow.

Frantic on the phone the next morning.The dog had completely demolished the very expensive leather chesterfield sofa.

No help from me I just :)

They do grow out of it, the dogs I mean, not the men with the car thing.

Hmmm, my reply dissapeard

but... oh dear you poor thing.

Have you thought of a dog run ( if you are renting, you can get portable ones which you could undoe and take with you. There is no way I wouldleave my goldie alone all day in our huge backyard, I would have no plants, no watering system and who knows what else missing or chewed up. She is only a puppy, but we are building a dog run for her for when I am not able to be at home.

good luck

oh dear ..... I'd blame the possoms for the scratches and throw away the numberplate and play dumb "I don't know, when was the last time you saw it?" and pretend like it must have fallen off on his travels somewhere :)

So Emma still has her nautiness happening then .... she's an adult isn't she? 3 or 4 years or age by now.....

I don't remember if you were or had seen a trainer for some 1:1 time but maybe this is the trigger for that to happen ..... maybe contact Steve at K9Pro for a couple of sessions?

(oh and yes we need photos of the dog most definitely! )

Well I just told my OH about this and he said some lingerie & a nice dinner would definately do the trick :)

Its a great way to say "I'm Sorry" Once he's accepted that offer there is no going back :)