Heroic Dog Saves Her Owner

Baby Dragon

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/articl...62971_news.html

Heroic dog saves her owner

Jessica Craven

April 10th, 2010

HEARING dog Lexy has been heralded a hero for rushing to her Belmont owner's aid after he had a heart attack.

When David Bice collapsed, the 10-year-old kelpie cross frantically alerted his wife Pauline who made sure he received medical aid just in time.

Mrs Bice said her husband was putting himself to bed on Thursday night after cooking a barbecue when he collapsed.

"He had oesophageal cancer so he does tend to get quite tired," she said.

"I was in another part of the house so I didn't hear anything unusual but Lexy came flying in and she wasn't acting in the way she does to alert me when the phone or doorbell rings.

"I said to her 'what is the matter' and she flew down the hall to the bathroom where my husband had collapsed and was on the floor."

Mrs Bice called an ambulance and paramedics stablised Mr Bice at the scene before he was taken to Geelong Hospital and fitted with a temporary pacemaker.

He later underwent emergency surgery after scans revealed his bowel had escaped through a tear in his gut.

Medical staff said it was lucky the dog alerted Mrs Bice when she did because the chances of recovery from heart attacks are reduced with every minute the patient is not treated.

Lexy was trained by the Lions Club to alert her owners of different sounds such as smoke alarms and phone calls.

"Even though I was in the house, I was about to go out and do some gardening so he would have been lying there for two hours or more had she not come and go me," Mrs Bice said.

Mrs Bice said Geelong Hospital staff let her take Lexy into the Intensive Care unit and she put her paws up on the bed to comfort Mr Bice.

"Everyone in Geelong Hospital, every single department, showed us so much kindness and understanding," she said.

Mr Bice is still recovering in hospital.

Edited by Baby Dragon

Thankyou for sharing this story with us. It is wonderful hear about . :thumbsup:

I must admit I cannot open up a lot of the threads on here with graphic stories and photos.

I know these awful things happen in the real world, but find these sorts of stories stay in my mind and haunt me.

I am not just burying my head in the sand,it is a bit of mental and emotional preservation.

I can't do anything about them and would just be tormenting myself reading the dreadful things man and dog sometimes do to each other. :laugh:

Mrs Bice said Geelong Hospital staff let her take Lexy into the Intensive Care unit and she put her paws up on the bed to comfort Mr Bice.

I saw that on TV & Lexy looked as proud as punch to be alongside the 'dad' she'd saved.

Good dog, Lexy! I hope there's a Doggie Hero Award coming up.

I saw that on TV & Lexy looked as proud as punch to be alongside the 'dad' she'd saved.

Awwww that's so cute!! What a great dog :thumbsup:

I love "dog saves person" stories.

BTW ........ GARDENING???? She was going to go outside and do 2 or more hours of GARDENING........... in the middle of the night!!!??? Huh? :laugh:

BTW ........ GARDENING???? She was going to go outside and do 2 or more hours of GARDENING........... in the middle of the night!!!??? Huh? :eek:

Where does it say the middle of the night. They might have had an early dinner or lunch BBA and, let's face it, with the illness that poor man has, it was probably very very early.

Just reading that news item had me doubling over in sympathetic pain ;) :laugh:

What a lovely story. I especially like it because it has a kelpie x in it. I often read rescue stories involving kelpies or x's.

You will all read a story like that about me one day. Me and one of my kelpies will be famous :thumbsup:

Great story baby dragon - thanks heaps for posting.

And thanks also Bilbo Baggins for the link to the program - I see they source their dogs from the RSPCA and AWL :laugh:

Lexy was trained by the Lions Club to alert her owners of different sounds such as smoke alarms and phone calls.

WoooHoooo go the hearing dogs.

Read more on this project

http://www.hearingdogs.asn.au/sitemap.htm

There is also this organisation in the States - Sam Simon Foundation (Sam Simon was one of the co-founders of The Simpsons) - have a look at the YouTube clips to the right - really worth watching - they feature among other dogs, an Aussie Shepherd and a Cattle Dog x

http://www.samsimonfoundation.com/hearingDogs.asp

• 2 weeks later...

Awwww that's so cute!! What a great dog ;)

I love "dog saves person" stories.

BTW ........ GARDENING???? She was going to go outside and do 2 or more hours of GARDENING........... in the middle of the night!!!??? Huh? :)

:) Belated reply from Lexy's Dad ( Just home from Hospital) :thumbsup:

Well First thank you all for the kind thought and words. ;)

I don't quite know how "night-time BBQ" came about, It was a 12:30 or lunchtime as we call it. I was about to have a afternoon nap,my wife likes gardening but definitley not in the darkbut it was an amusing thought ;) picked up by Spottychick. Obviously a tongue in cheek comment that had me in great pain laughing, ;) :) so keep up the good work guys, Loved all the comments :laugh: .

As they say different dog for different jobs, Cross-breeds are usualy selected for hearing dogs ,believed to be more sound receptive, True or False ? ;).Ill leave that to the experts to argue about :( Hear is a Quote from a "seeing eye dog owner " that I believe is true of all dogs that are loved. Quote " It's the bond of friendship that develops between the dog and person that even allows the dog dog to do things far beyond what it is trained to do." Unquote: Regards to you all Herodog. :)

She certainly deserves one, aren't our doggies wonderful. :thumbsup: