Is Dog Fart Healthy?

hey ive been wondering why is it my 2 yr old pom farts frequently lately?the smell is gross like the smell of human when they have gassiness in their tummy and wanted to poo...sometimes i can hear my dog's tummy growling like the sound of human when we have butterfly in our tummy...is it normal??he feeds on himself as he'd grow up eating whenever he wants to eat...i put his royal canin food on the floor...i checked everyday to see if he eats and he does...he do not have diarrhea either... :(:cheer: and he's behaving normal as usual...nothing unusual except he farts more lately...what shall i do to make him farts less????? :laugh:

Dogs are no different to humans ie. if you eat something that doesn't agree with you then you get gas. :thumbsup:

Feed him different food - something that his gut can cope with better. :)

I would put him on boiled chicken & rice to settle the gut down, then progress to a more natural food like Dr. Billinghursts BARF. :thumbsup:

Some of our dogs fart when they get too many bones or when they get roo. Normally I just give them a few less bones and some yoghurt and it goes away.

Not sure what causes it in my brother ... but he is much worse then the dogs. They should bottle his for a deadly weapon of mass destruction!!!! :thumbsup:

Hi- if you are leaving food for him all day- then perhaps he is just eating too much?

That was my thought

As someone else suggested Id put him on a chicken and rice diet to settle his gut, then slowly introduce other foods again, if you find he is getting gassy again, you will easily be able to work out what isnt agreeing with him, so cut the last thing out which you just introduced, it could be any number of things or he could have found something in the garden which didnt agree with him, this is common with my JRT, silly girl

Hi- if you are leaving food for him all day- then perhaps he is just eating too much?

Or just grazing, so not really filling his belly.

My boy's naturopath told me something I haven't checked further into but found interesting. She said that dogs are designed to gourge (as we know) and there's something about a full belly that triggers enzymes to get to work to digest.

In a normal/healthy dog, I believe that feeding whole raw food will not result in farts smelling really bad.

My boy has digestive issues. His farts can really smell foul, even though he is on whole raw food. But then, his digestive issues are part of what we are sorting through and trying to remedy. That's another story in itself.

Actually, come to think of it ..... I haven't smelt a really foul fart from him for the past couple of days and we did have a break from them for about 5 days approximately two weeks ago. That's a good sign :thumbsup:.

But, back on topic. I'm not a fan of free feeding for more than one reason. Try feeding your dog a whole raw diet (switch over gradually, if he's not used to it) and start feeding him meals rather than free feeding. Give him his meal and allow 20 minutes to finish it. If he's left it in that time and hasn't returned, lift the meal. His next meal will be in the evening (if you're feeding 2 x daily) or the next day (if you're feeding 1 x daily).

This said on the assumption that your dog has no other health issues and is of a reasonable weight.

My allergic dog has terrible smelling wind but it gets better when he's feeling better in himself.

I guess farts are just the same as in humans....food agrees with you or it doesn't LOL

A little of topic, but when my mum or dad says to there m&m "Rusty your ass stinks", he gets up and walks away regardless of wether he farted or not.. :mad

Awwww, poor Rusty! What a polite boy to walk away :) . Saxon has woken himself up with his farts a couple of times. He turns around and looks at me in disgust as if it was me!!

Is dog fart healthy????

well of course it is, if animals and humans didnt fart and didnt burp then we would blow up and die.

My guess is what you are trying to say is..to what degree should the level of flatulence smell. Well that is all going to depend on what you are feeding.

If you dogs gut is unsettled and you can hear it gurgling then it is time to settle the gut down.

As the body digests food then gases are formed, heck they have to go somewhere!

Everyone passes wind, it is just that some do so without anyone else noticing and others dont. :)

A little of topic, but when my mum or dad says to there m&m "Rusty your ass stinks", he gets up and walks away regardless of wether he farted or not.. :mad

Awwww, poor Rusty! What a polite boy to walk away :) . Saxon has woken himself up with his farts a couple of times. He turns around and looks at me in disgust as if it was me!!

My Hubby LOVES having 2 dogs in the house cause he can blame his farts on them ;)

Moose always farts for a few hours after he's had his temperature taken. He also keeps looking at his butt. Just checking I guess?? I probably would too. :thumbsup:

Farts are mostly diet related so I would do as others have suggested and change him over to plain foods for a few days to settle his stomach and then reintroduce other foods gradually. See what agrees with him and what doesn't. :cry:

thx guys for ur opinion...ive taken out his free-feeding food starting today i will hand feed him myself..i'll be trying on some rice+boiled chic breast for him and make sure he will eat it slowly...lolx...but normally he nv gauge himself though...cuz of his small teeth and mouth...he must chew the dry food b4 he can swallow it...and i don think he overfed himself cuz he's not overweight...

last 2 nights Nemo was laying on the couch with his butt facing my brother...and he'd almost been suffocated to death as Nemo farts like twice every half an hour!!! gawd!!! :thumbsup:

Have I missed something? Why hand feed?

I don't find it easy reading your 'shorthand' (sms) style of writing. Capitals at the beginning of sentences and the proper typing out of words I find is easier to follow.

A little of topic, but when my mum or dad says to there m&m "Rusty your ass stinks", he gets up and walks away regardless of wether he farted or not.. :cry:

Awwww, poor Rusty! What a polite boy to walk away :thumbsup: . Saxon has woken himself up with his farts a couple of times. He turns around and looks at me in disgust as if it was me!!

My Hubby LOVES having 2 dogs in the house cause he can blame his farts on them :o

Dont they all :p

Always say better out than in anyway

Ever known a dog to fart then suddenly they get up and walk away, and you then get it hit you in the face and the dog is smart enough to be long gone :rofl:

My chi does that he will be curled up on your lap one minute then all of a sudden he walks off and the smell hits you :eek:

Mine are definetly stinkier after they get tinned food, they are rarely fed tinned but whenever they get it I know I'm in for a couple of days of feral stench.