Rspca Shelters In Uk To Turn Away Unwanted Pets And Strays

gillbear

Steve, when all is said and done, you can put all the counter arguments up you like and the impression across the board will still be very similar to "you can't have rational or reasoned arguments on DOL regarding the RSPCA". The evidence is here in blue, grey and black on this forum. :rofl: Good grief, there are even breeders with signatures that slag off the RSPCA.

It is natural for people who have had experiences that may not have been positive with the RSPCA to view everything about them in a tainted light. The same happens with breeders. One person may have a bad experience and so they taint the lot with the same brush. For people who think breeders are bad, they would find it very, very difficult to ever be able to discuss the good breeders ratioanlly or even at all. Human nature is human nature.

The RSPCA's biggest downfall is the fact that they answer to no-one and they have too many conflicting roles or roles that may potentially conflict. Their biggest assest is the fact that they are a massive organisation with a lot of power, knowledge and ability.

No-one is denying anyone the ability to talk about the things they stuff up but, as shown in this thread, the immediate reaction is based on emotional distaste and without fact by most. Rationality and emotions don't mix.

Edited by ~Anne~

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

R$PCA NSW don't take in strays, but they won't say no to a donation. :rofl:

Doesn't take in strays ?? So the stray pointer I adopted from them 5 weeks ago , what is he then, temporarily homeless ? between homes ? He was a stray taken in by them !!

I think we're all doing pretty well here having a rational discussion and Im certainly not afraid to acknowledge the good they do but surely that doesn't mean that we have no right to speak of the things we think they muck up.

The minute anything is said -because some have made up their mind that open discussion which doesn't support something they have done equals a hatred for them - we get bogged into "you have nothing to say I'm interested in because you hate them"

For what it's worth steve - I agree.

I think for the most part DOLers are very rational people and this thread has a lot of very rational points being made about the problems with particular RSPCA branches and with the organisation as a whole.

I don't think that emotions and "rational thinking" are mutually exclusive, a fact borne out every day by the discussions in this forum. Yes, sometimes emotional people can be irrational, but that is not always the case.

And you will also find 'unemotional' (at least by their own definition) people being totally irrational in their thought processes and in their responses to people who don't agree with them.

It's not about emotional vs unemotional. It's just about respect.

Edited by spottychick

To illustrate irrational and or emotional statements made I have copied and pasted from page one only;

Disgusting! How can they justify this and happily sit there counting all that money. But it's what I've come to expect from the RSPCA
So much for all creatures great and small
Lets hope they are turning their attention to REAL cruelty cases, not pursuing ethical breeders to ride the media wave after Crufts.
I see you too are a fellow cynic
I wonder if all those dear little old rich ladies who have left them massive bequests over the years, ever thought their money would be used to hunt down good people while strays and needy animals are left to fend for themselves.

And I could keep posting. That is not to say there is anything *wrong* with any of the statements above, people are merely expressing their opinions as they are entitled to. But the fact still remains that the RSPCA are targetted here. There is nothing wrong with that in all reality, hence I was trying to explain to Chocolatelover the reasons why it occurs on here, but it is off putting to your average folk though. Anyone who supports the RSPCA has known for a long time, not to mention their views on DOL because they will be shouted down. :rofl:

The RSPCA's biggest downfall is the fact that they answer to no-one .......

Their biggest assest is the fact that they are a massive organisation with a lot of power, knowledge and ability.

Puggles and Souff are in total agreement with these statements.

HOWEVER ......

We all have ability. Ability is one of the greatest strengths. It is HOW we use our ability, and our knowledge, that is important.

And particularly, how we use any power given to us .... that is critically important.

There are a zillion animal lovers in this country but the organisation that is supposed to help prevent cruelty, seems to have got the backs up on an awful lot of these people, most of whom have done absolutely nothing wrong and would lay down their lives to help animals. And many of these people were once the allies and supporters of the RSPCA.

Power is a very useful thing to have, but if you wield that power the wrong way .... then maybe, just maybe, that is not the best use of power?

Some teachers of teenagers in years gone by wielded their power in a similar way.

Result? Aggro anti-social kids who hated school, hated any figure of authority, always in trouble, and thought the world owed them. The 27%ers.

Other teachers who worked alongside these kids, gave the kids incentives to feel better about themselves as well as their work, THEY were the teachers who could bring out the best in the formerly "difficult" teenagers. They were not soft, they used the same syllabus, but they encouraged the kids to do better and to become good citizens. They got good results that lasted. Not a quick fix.

Working WITH the animal lovers, instead of working agin them and making rules "to catch them" could lead to a better result all round.

And that free up precious resources so that the culprits of real animal cruelty can be dealt with, to focus on improved rehoming programs, and on more widespread desexing progams.

jmho

Souff

I don't quite understand this statement. Respect for whom or what? :rofl:

Respect for people's differing points of view and opinions.

EG instead of declaring everyone who has issues with the way the RSPCA runs things to be "irrational", "emotional" (therefore invalid) "ranting", "jumping on bandwagons" etc

The RSPCA's biggest downfall is the fact that they answer to no-one .......

Their biggest assest is the fact that they are a massive organisation with a lot of power, knowledge and ability.

Puggles and Souff are in total agreement with these statements.

HOWEVER ......

We all have ability. Ability is one of the greatest strengths. It is HOW we use our ability, and our knowledge, that is important.

And particularly, how we use any power given to us .... that is critically important.

There are a zillion animal lovers in this country but the organisation that is supposed to help prevent cruelty, seems to have got the backs up on an awful lot of these people, most of whom have done absolutely nothing wrong and would lay down their lives to help animals. And many of these people were once the allies and supporters of the RSPCA.

Power is a very useful thing to have, but if you wield that power the wrong way .... then maybe, just maybe, that is not the best use of power?

Some teachers of teenagers in years gone by wielded their power in a similar way.

Result? Aggro anti-social kids who hated school, hated any figure of authority, always in trouble, and thought the world owed them. The 27%ers.

Other teachers who worked alongside these kids, gave the kids incentives to feel better about themselves as well as their work, THEY were the teachers who could bring out the best in the formerly "difficult" teenagers. They were not soft, they used the same syllabus, but they encouraged the kids to do better and to become good citizens. They got good results that lasted. Not a quick fix.

Working WITH the animal lovers, instead of working agin them and making rules "to catch them" could lead to a better result all round.

And that free up precious resources so that the culprits of real animal cruelty can be dealt with, to focus on improved rehoming programs, and on more widespread desexing progams.

jmho

Souff

WOW a comment I actually agree with... :rofl:

To illustrate irrational and or emotional statements made I have copied and pasted from page one only;
Disgusting! How can they justify this and happily sit there counting all that money. But it's what I've come to expect from the RSPCA
So much for all creatures great and small
Lets hope they are turning their attention to REAL cruelty cases, not pursuing ethical breeders to ride the media wave after Crufts.
I wonder if all those dear little old rich ladies who have left them massive bequests over the years, ever thought their money would be used to hunt down good people while strays and needy animals are left to fend for themselves.

And I could keep posting. That is not to say there is anything *wrong* with any of the statements above, people are merely expressing their opinions as they are entitled to. But the fact still remains that the RSPCA are targetted here. There is nothing wrong with that in all reality, hence I was trying to explain to Chocolatelover the reasons why it occurs on here, but it is off putting to your average folk though. Anyone who supports the RSPCA has known for a long time, not to mention their views on DOL because they will be shouted down. :rofl:

I agree. There is nothing wrong with these statements at all and OF COURSE they are targetting the RSPCA - they are supposed to.

Why are they all irrational statements?

I don't quite understand this statement. Respect for whom or what? :rofl:

Glad it's not just me Anne :o

I find it very sad that you don't know who it is you need to show some respect for - and I have had to explain it.

Anyone who supports the RSPCA has known for a long time, not to mention their views on DOL because they will be shouted down. :rofl:

Funny you should say that since the very first posting I made on this thread I feel as though I've been shouted down and insulted just because I don't support the RSPCA.

This is my point.

A little respect on all sides would go a long way. I don't think I've disrespected anyone's point of view or posted irrationally and my opinions about the RSPCA are based on my own research and rational thinking. It is highly insulting to be told I am incapable of rational thought just because I have specific and very legitimate objections to the RSPCA.

You still miss the point. Instead of ranting about the RSPCA, why weren't people ranting about the callousness of society and our lack of compassion for our neighbours? Why weren't they flaming her friends and family for abandoning her in her time of need? Because they were too busy with the RSPCA. (Who are about animals not humans).

The two scenarios are miles apart. One asked for help and tried to feed her animals anyway she could. One looked them in a cage to burn in their own urine and didn't even give them water. How can these two situations be compared?

I say it again (and again) my argument is only with the fact that people are unable to see past their hatred for the RSPCA to have any kind of rational discussion. I am not putting them on a pedastal, not supporting everything they do but they simply cannot be blamed for every wrong the world.

Yes, I totally agree with this statement.

I am a fence sitter with the issue of the RSPCA. I acknowledge there are issues, but I am also not afraid to acknowledge the good they do.

I think we're all doing pretty well here having a rational discussion and Im certainly not afraid to acknowledge the good they do but surely that doesn't mean that we have no right to speak of the things we think they muck up.

The minute anything is said -because some have made up their mind that open discussion which doesn't support something they have done equals a hatred for them - we get bogged into "you have nothing to say I'm interested in because you hate them"

Chocolatelover can tell us about a case which may have meant they had done something they shouldn't re a rescue horse and thats O.K. because we don't think she hates the RSPCA but if I bring a news story here and don't even make a comment on it I hate the RSPCA even though over and over I say I don't and I support them in what they do - just not all some of them do. And I know there is no point in going after them because its the system that needs the reform. No matter which group was elected to be a quasi police force with no adequate safety to ensure people are treated justly over any area of society, no matter whether they do a great job or not I would not make donations to them and I would watch them for evidence of corruption or injustice to try to push for law reform because its a flawed system.

Some of us are more exposed to more cases because of the area we work or play in - just because someone knows of more instances that doesn't necessarily mean what they have to say is untrue or not rational.

Why do people just keep honing in one thing without seeing the bigger picture. That point was to illustrate that I am aware they do things that people don't agree with. I only read the media side - I never spoke to anyone from the RSPCA about it. There is always two sides to every story so I try to keep an open mind about things. Many of you on here don't - you automatically assume the RSPCA is at fault. In the last thread you automatically assumed the RSPCA was victimising some poor, defenceless, mentally ill lady. There were not enough facts in the story to really make a judgement, but naturally you assumed the worst of the RSPCA. And it happens time and time again.

And apparently you know of many cases where the RSPCA have been in the wrong - but no one will let me know where I can learn about them. There is just this mysterious DOL cloud that surrounds them and "what they have done'.

Doesn't take in strays ?? So the stray pointer I adopted from them 5 weeks ago , what is he then, temporarily homeless ? between homes ? He was a stray taken in by them !!

Are you sure? :o Watch out - they might be back for him to gain some media attention!!!!! :D

Respect for people's differing points of view and opinions.

EG instead of declaring everyone who has issues with the way the RSPCA runs things to be "irrational", "emotional" (therefore invalid) "ranting", "jumping on bandwagons" etc

Now your statement is clearly irrational. :rofl: I have never said everyone who has issues with the way the RSPCA does things is irrational, emotional (or invalid), ranting or jumping on bandwagons. You are responding and quoting my posts so I assume you are aiming these points at me.

The bigger hilarity is that clearly, many take my posts as supporting the RSPCA, so they have to keep refuting my arguments. Hence it seems to me anyway. Otherwise, why is it that I can't put an opinion forward on what a fellow DOLer thinks (in this case Chocolatelover) and explain to them why I think that people don't like the RSPCA on this forum without being continually questioned, and my arguments refuted? :o

There IS an overwhelming sense of irationality and biased opinion on DOL with regard to the RSPCA. That can't be denied.

I agree. There is nothing wrong with these statements at all and OF COURSE they are targetting the RSPCA - they are supposed to.

Why are they all irrational statements?

I believe in the context of the OPs subject, they are based on emotion and without fact. To me, they seem irrational.

Anyone who supports the RSPCA has known for a long time, not to mention their views on DOL because they will be shouted down. :D

Funny you should say that since the very first posting I made on this thread I feel as though I've been shouted down and insulted just because I don't support the RSPCA.

This is my point.

A little respect on all sides would go a long way. I don't think I've disrespected anyone's point of view or posted irrationally and my opinions about the RSPCA are based on my own research and rational thinking. It is highly insulting to be told I am incapable of rational thought just because I have specific and very legitimate objections to the RSPCA.

You take debates to personally Spotty. I have not called you irrational or even suggested you are incapable of irrational thought.

Anyway, I am bowing out. The debate is now becoming about who said what and the focus of discussion is being lost. I don't want to argue you with you Spotty and if you think I have dissed you then I am sorry for making you think that.

Edited by ~Anne~

Are you sure? :o Watch out - they might be back for him to gain some media attention!!!!! :rofl:

:D :D :love::love:

And the money would be better spent on subsidised desexing programmes and closing down puppy farms.

fifi

:rofl: YEP !!!

fifi

And those families of the newly departed who say "no flowers, envelopes for RSPCA donations will be at the church" also need to be told too.

*nods*. That's my job :(

I steer people elsewhere too - a dog saved is a dog saved, and if it is saved from an ethical rescue, so much better. Support what you believe in, don't support what you don't.

Chocolatelover

And apparently you know of many cases where the RSPCA have been in the wrong - but no one will let me know where I can learn about them. There is just this mysterious DOL cloud that surrounds them and "what they have done'.

I believe you asked the question some time ago and were referred to various threads via the search engine. If you didn't read them, that's fine, but don't complain about a "mysterious DOL cloud" because you didn't put in the effort to satisfy your question.

Edited by Jed