Talk To Dog Or Not ?

LizT

Being relatively new to Showing I enjoy taking on board advice from the more experienced but this one now has me stumped.

I was told by experienced and successful exhibitor that when walking my dog around the ring and doing her workout that I should talk to her and get her attention, get her looking at me and to become more animated myself, ie. cutsie noises etc.

However, recently I was asked to help out in a challenge line up for another experienced exhibitor who had two dogs in the line up. Dog and lead handed over and last minute advise was, "She's very easy to handle no problems there , only DON"T talk to her as she will only look up at you"! :(

So "Do you talk to your dog in the ring"?

Not every dog fits the mould.

A dog constantly looking up at you will throw its front around.

perfect example is watching obedience dogs at heel,there looking up & there dogs fronts are all over the place.

I talk,will squeak & the likes but my guys are trained not to react in a silly way but to react in a attitude way.

Just like some dogs go stupid for food,others work well some couldn;t give a toss.

My dogs are always given some form of encouragement its a case of what works with what dog ,having said that your whole attitude & body language plays the biggest part .

You can talk till the cows come home but if your a boring handler it will do nothing

Not every dog fits the mould.

A dog constantly looking up at you will throw its front around.

perfect example is watching obedience dogs at heel,there looking up & there dogs fronts are all over the place.

I talk,will squeak & the likes but my guys are trained not to react in a silly way but to react in a attitude way.

Just like some dogs go stupid for food,others work well some couldn;t give a toss.

My dogs are always given some form of encouragement its a case of what works with what dog ,having said that your whole attitude & body language plays the biggest part .

You can talk till the cows come home but if your a boring handler it will do nothing

very true

what works with one dog may not work for another.

I can bait my older boy in the ring to keep him in focus when stacked in the group but there is no way I can show food to my young bitch who is so food driven that she becomes silly. Then again she is only young and learning the ropes.

I always encourage my dogs in the ring and always praise them whether we win or lose.

It would be different for each dog. I don't as I find they move into obedience heel positon with their head wrapped around my leg and so the front is all over the place. I work hard to achieve the perfect heel position for obedience and while doing so keep their focus with my voice and food - so I must have a different method in the showring. In there is "lets go" and thats it until we get back to the judge to 'stand'. If I speak to them by accident the head wraps around my leg and its all over :(. I do talk to them while they are in the stack and praise and play with them while they are not being judged - otherwise it would be just too boring.

Guest CaptainCourageous

I have been told off for too much voice - may have been handling a bitch that I once did an ET with.

CC

I do.... my dog is extremely food driven at home - get him out in the ring and he's not interested in any of it. My voice is the only thing that can get his attention...

I only say c'mon monster as we are going in and tell him to settle if he starts pacing.

Not that we ever win so no one should take notice of my methods :(

I guess it does come down to the individual and the personality of the animal and handler. Whilst I personally like to have a few words with my dog I don't "chatter incesently".

I found for the longest time I could only use bait for training to stack and not while I was moving as when my girl was a puppy she jumped up at my hand too much.

I do find that even when I don't talk to her I still get that "I love you Mum" look as she looks up at me from time to time. I love that :( It's like she's saying "Do you love me Mum? Are you happy with me?"

It would be different for each dog. I don't as I find they move into obedience heel positon with their head wrapped around my leg and so the front is all over the place. I work hard to achieve the perfect heel position for obedience and while doing so keep their focus with my voice and food - so I must have a different method in the showring. In there is "lets go" and thats it until we get back to the judge to 'stand'. If I speak to them by accident the head wraps around my leg and its all over :laugh:. I do talk to them while they are in the stack and praise and play with them while they are not being judged - otherwise it would be just too boring.

yep i had a dog who when i started training up was super head wrap dog & i had to ensure there was a on/off switch for each aspect.

Luckily for me i have found it easy by making a point of different collars but you could still occasionally see that little moment & this dog had a wonderful front but once in wrap mode you would have thought :(

you often see it hear in the goldie ring where the dogs are looking up & there front starts to go.

Small dogs is also worse due to the way they look up.

Many dont realize this but what the judge sees in that short time can determine a win /lose ratio.

My guys are encouraged no end,food,squeaky & when leaving the ring & safe i will play tug,anything that keeps them wanting to return

I talk to my dogs as well in the ring :(.

Most of the time I tell them to "Focus" as they are BAD when they think they can do whatever they wish in the ring!

I just tell them to focus and let them know it's working time and to do it right.

I talk to them a LOT on the table, with Clancy he had a real bad experience when he first started his show career, so I always reassure him on the table that he is a good boy and that it is ok. It helps him relax and not worry about the judge.

Our Benji is still learning so I am talking to him a bit, especially on the table as most shows are now indoors, its a new environment for him and his behaviour changed slighlty and he leans back more when the judge goes near him, so again I'm assuring him that it's ok and constantly praise him that he is doing well. I found recently after the last show he is starting to relax a bit more now.

I always talk to Benji during ring work out and teaching him to hackney, he is a fun little guy to work with and he is intuitive when it comes to showing and listening to me.

Clancy and Benji are half brother, but they are very different in their personality and how they show so it is a lot of fun to show two unique dogs who are different in their own way. I even handle both of them differently as they both don't work the same way.

Really depends upon the dog.

I talk to some because it reminds them where they are and what they are doing and is part of their correction and keeping them under control.

Others just go out and do it and could probably even show themselves without me hanging onto the lead.

I have always talked to my dogs in the ring. Some need more than others, but I train with the words "Stand" and of course "stay" and will always encourage during the exam saying "good boy/girl" When about to move, I will say to the dog "ok, lets go" and that is their command to move out. With my shep boy, he knows to move out at the end of the lead when we gait but only when I say "go out". On the down and back I'll use "easy" and he knows he must stay with me.

There is nothing wrong with talking to the dogs, however use a normal voice andnot a high pitched one as that usually turns untrained pups into lunatics I've found. Naturally all dogs are different, and with a non food motivated dog, that squeeky voice can be your best friend to show expression.