Dog Colour

Lhok

Reading the Blue wei thread and after hearing people looking for a particular colour for their dog I am curious as to why coat colour is important for choosing a particular breed of dog.

So I'm asking did you consider coat colour when you got your dog and how overly important is it?

--Lhok

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never owned a purebred dog or showed so I can't comment in that aspect and I'm sure it's vital and important to the pure breed dogs (regarding showing) however I could be wrong.

In terms of general pet ownership I don't care what colour my dog is any more than I care what colour eyes they have. I tend to judge a dog (for my own pet ownership) on size, breed and sex. I had to think about that when bringing Razor and Boss home. Are they too big for the yard? Are they too active? Will another male live with another male happily etc?

What colour pup you have Lhok?

Same as Shell actually a preference but not a rule. I would prefer not to have a completley white dog because my dogs are outside dogs and my yard would make that dog black in a minute I'd be bathing the dog every two hours :)

I really want a classically marked black tri border collie with a nice bright tan. I love them. I have the black tri with dull tan and he's anything but classically marked :). One day I will get that dog.

You can have colour preferences in dogs and as you have to live with the dog thats fine so long as you don't compromise on health. temperament etc.

I've always wanted a tri colour Cavalier, but as fate had it two Blenheim's came into our lives instead (which was a very good thing !)

BUT my next one is going to be a Tri not matter what !!!! :)

ps.. The colour wasn't important to us, just that I still have my preference :D

Edited by JulesLuvsCavs

It depends, I prefer how black dobes look over the brown ones, but I think that's because I was raised with a black one, some breeds to my eye seem more striking in specific colours but at the end of the day, a dog is a dog and I would choose a dog based on temperament, size, sex and other things I feel are more important.

I've never owned a purebred dog or showed so I can't comment in that aspect and I'm sure it's vital and important to the pure breed dogs (regarding showing) however I could be wrong.

In terms of general pet ownership I don't care what colour my dog is any more than I care what colour eyes they have. I tend to judge a dog (for my own pet ownership) on size, breed and sex. I had to think about that when bringing Razor and Boss home. Are they too big for the yard? Are they too active? Will another male live with another male happily etc?

What colour pup you have Lhok?

I have a black lab kelpie cross ^_^ but yeah I don't really have a preference having said that my two foster failure cats are black as well so maybe the colour chose me :)

--Lhok

I love black in animals because the coat shines and I love touching it.

I think as non show dogs or breeders the colour wouldn't really affect the dog over its breed and temperament etc but people do have colours they prefer. I don't think I'd want to own a dog with pink pigment e.g pink nose pink eye lids etc. Lucky had a partial pink nose and pink pigment and the sunscreen we used was massive amounts and he used to love sun bathing so it was a constant sunscreen battle.

ALTHOUGH

I have met gronks who tell me. I want a red nose pittie. It has to be red with a red coat and red nose, because everyone knows when a pitbull has a red nose and red coat it's MUCH tougher than the other pits in different colours. *sarcastic tone*

I have met gronks who tell me. I want a red nose pittie. It has to be red with a red coat and red nose, because everyone knows when a pitbull has a red nose and red coat it's MUCH tougher than the other pits in different colours. *sarcastic tone*

It's that type of comment I find myself wondering about, the amount of people that I have heard in the vet clinic I volunteer at that say they want a blue staffy is incredible.

--Lhok

So far, my dogs have all found me so I didn't get a choice. But one day when I get a pedigree, I will have a colour preference. It doesn't mean other characteristics are less important though, and I realise it may mean waiting a bit longer but what's wrong with that? I also have pedigree cats and I was very fussy on their colours. I'm currently on a waiting list for a new show neuter and I only want one colour so I'm happy to wait until the perfect kitten comes along. :)

Yes color is important to me in some breeds, in others i'm not fussed.

Top of the list is Bull Terriers - They must be white !

My uncle had a white Bull Terrier which I grew up with, and so its just programmed in my brain that Bull Terriers should pure white like Rocky :)

Unfortunatly I have never owned one but I will one day and it will be a white one.

Other than that, I have a strong preference for rednose Pitbulls over black or brown pigment. Why ? Because they just look so fascinatingly awesome and cute.

When I started researching I loved the look of a blue merle in the Aussie Shepherd!! I also didn't choose colour over temperment/quality, but I feel so lucky to have found a blue merle bitch of great quality (in my eyes anyway) and temperment (even if she is a mismark :) )!! My next Aussie I would love to be Red Merle of show quality, but we'll just see when the time comes, and again I won't be choosing colour over the rest, it would be a bonus though....

Like red cars go faster? LOL

My breed is Bullmastiff, you have red, fawn and brindle in varying shades. I absolutely love deep reds. Its not the most important factor of course, and certainly not the deciding factor on the right dog / pup. I don't doubt I'll own a brindle and fawn eventually! :)