What Does This Mean?

aussielover

I email people who state they are interested in the breed a questionaire which has q few simple questions about the reed and why this is the breed for you, also a few tips etc, if I dont get the questionire back I know they couldnt have been interested really anyway!

A few breeder's websites I've looked at have that.

Like this example:

Sitting Bull

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am simply replying to what you wrote & the topic.

You didnt mention what you have written now

I know, I wasn't having a go at you or snapping back, I was adding to what I'd already said and the last bit was an actual "stupid me" self-question. The typed word isn't good for showing mood or intention :eek:

I can see how emailing someone just after they've posted a litter can be seen as time wasting, but thankfully i've had nothing but genuine and happy responses. One thing you can always be sure of is that if you compliment someone's dog and ask them to tell you all about their babies, they'll be more than happy to never stop talking

I feel no time wasters is confrontational.

Even when stated what colour I have available I still get people ringing who want it to morph into a blenheim. :eek:

I have actually changed one person colour preference once they had seen pics of a ruby, as they where unaware that colour existed.

I enjoy talking to people so never find it a problem. What does miff me if someone is a sure sale and pull at the 11th hour. But its their loss and another persons gain.

I am happy to talk to people about my breed, and even happy for them to come & look at my puppies if they tell me upfront that they are just "tyrekicking" at the moment.

I really should offload some of the books I accumulated tyre kicking. Have got The Complete Standard Poodle for one! :cry: Great book!

Me me! and, have you got Bracco Italiano, English foxhound or Portugese water dog?? seeing as I have been kicking this lot for several years :rofl: maybe I should get some books :eek: ;) :mad I'm always upfront, and I've never looked at pups or rung about pups. but I have visited and asked re breeds. many times! Poor Bracco breeder.............. :rofl:

I see an ad for a nice looking litter from a nice looking mother, they put helpful and professional information in the ad, so i email them and ask about their breeding practises, how they feed, play and train, what their dog's health is like, what I'd pay for a pup, if I get a puppy pack, what homes would they look to sell to, etc etc.

I'd see this as snooping unless it was stated you were interested in one of my pups in the future. Unfortunately this is mostly the fault of other breeders who like to snoop so they can put you down to others, change their price etc.

Time wasting is hard to see until it happens. Enquiring about a dog you have no intentions of getting is time wasting, calling to find out if the breeder is cheaper than the breeder you just purchased from is time wasting etc.

Edited by molasseslass

I have one person who calls me for a dog EVERY time I have a litter.

I bred a litter in 99, 2000 x 2, 2004 and 2008. (and maybe another litter or two in there that I can't recall.)

but EVERY time he calls me and asks about the litters and the pups and if he can come and see them. I find new creative ways to put him off each time as I know he's wanting to check them out for some strange reason. I'm dreading the inevitable call that will come when the new litter is advertised.

THAT is just one definition of a time waster.

:eek: Could also be defined as a stalker!! :rofl:

Re the stalking

I actually had a well known breeder over here in Australia call the breeder I was importing from and ask her questions about MY dogs! Luckily the breeder in the USA knew this person was fishing and kindly told her to call the importer, the things people will do almost as bad as the stalking!

I don't write my ads with "no time wasters".

There are plenty of time wasters out there. There is a constant stream of emails from people who want photos. You send the photos, and they never contact you again. They didn't want a pup at all, they wanted photos. There was nothing wrong with the pups, they were rippers, but these people didn't want a pup, they wanted a photo. I often wonder if they own websites in far countries, and want photos to put on the websites :eek:

I once got 87 email enquiries for a litter. At least 50 of them were time wasters.

A girl emailed every breeder on the east coast, with a huge list of questions, and expected everyone to reply to them. Every breeder. Someone without a life.

Of course, she didn't buy anything.

And I love tyrekickers. If you want to know about the breed, and are upfront, phone me. Don't tell me you want to buy one, tell me you want information. That's my job as a breeder. :rofl:

Timewasting is also the bane of rescue... we get heaps of emails just asking what pups we might have available - many ask for photos of every pup we may have, without giving any indication as to what they are looking for - we usually respond by asking what they are looking for before we will send any photos of any available dogs/pups. Funnily enough we never seem to hear back from those ones...

Then there are the phonecalls after they have seen the Petrescue listings or the rescue website listings about the available dogs we have at the moment - and they want something else... huh? We advertise the dogs we have AVAILABLE... that's what we have, OK? Please don't ask us for a purple spotted yellow Lab if all we have advertised are green Maltese types... *grin*

T.

Me me! and, have you got Bracco Italiano, English foxhound or Portugese water dog?? seeing as I have been kicking this lot for several years :rofl: maybe I should get some books :laugh::rofl::rofl: I'm always upfront, and I've never looked at pups or rung about pups. but I have visited and asked re breeds. many times! Poor Bracco breeder.............. :rofl:

Sadly Monah, I have two of those three - Bracco and PWD. :rofl: If Troy permits a dog related classies in General, I'll advertise a heap but will give you first dibs on those if you like.

What about the breeder's who state on their ad's that no-one with a free email address or a private number or only a mobile number can enquire? Im not going to waste money calling someone on my mobile because my land line is private! And i would say a large amount of my pup people have free email addresses too! It does get tiresome when i put all info of my pups on my ad or website with a photo and still get enquiries asking me about something that is on the ad, or the ones who never reply back after intial enquiry, but i do list all email address that enquire so i can look back on them when i get new enquiries

Guest acb123

I'm a time waster due to ignorance!

I felt so sorry for the poor breeder that advertised "tri coloured pups" and when I asked for pics I emailed back "sorry I was after gold & white" and she replied back "what did you think TRI meant?????"

OMG so very embarrassed so very dumb of me....yes when you think about what "tri" means I thought to myself "what the hell was I thinking?"

Oh if only I had googled that first or did some more research!

I'm also guilty of being a time waster in researching a breed, wanting the breed, listing for puppies, and THEN meeting only 1 example of the breed in real life and thinking "this isn't the breed for me OR is this particular dog just a bad temperament or product of their environment - nurture vs nature". I'm still very interested in this breed - still want this breed - but I have to wait until I meet more than 1 dog. I'm fairly certain that from what I've read, & the research I've done, this breed should be different to the one dog I saw. But I want to be much more informed rather than make a mistake.

I'm an accidental tyre kicker!

I was a time waster to a lab breeder once in NW melb all because of her attitude!

We were genuine in the purchase, made enquiries and arrangements prior after hearing much about her pups, drove all the way in winter with the heater broken down. She made us stand at the gate until she finishes her poo patrol. Then said " They cost 950 dollars each you know? and you must be quick." That's even before we entered the property. We took a look and left, before hopping into the car, she said "back to the nice warmth, huh?"

That so made my blood boiled so we bought from someone else. If I see "no time wasters", I'll just move on to the next breeder.

After far too many wasted hours I put the following on our website - it seems to be working with genuine enquiry's and dedicated breed people flowing through. I don't think its rude of me to say this - it allows me to develop quality relationships with the people who do want a dog from us and gives me alot more time to help them get ready for their big day (puppy coming home :laugh:). Also - I have never advertised any of our litters - all our puppy owners have come through our website.

Please understand that we do not breed for the 'puppy market' or for financial gain and as such do not have puppies available on a regular basis.

This means that we do unfortunately for you have a waiting list and this means you may have to wait for your choice of puppy. Currently we have 6 girls and 3 boys reserved from our next two litters.

It is your choice as to whether you are prepared to wait for one of our puppies or want to just take the first one that comes along.

If this is the case please don't waste yours or our time by enquiring about a puppy at this time.

This page will be updated when we know what puppies we have available.

Time wasters could include some of the types I get, enquiring about rescue dogs. Some of them would include, but not limited to:

1. People in rented who haven't checked they can get permission to have a dog.

2. People who haven't consulted their partners/families before calling.

3. People who, in a few months' time, are going overseas.

4. People who just want someone to talk to ....

5. People who want a dog in a few months/year's time.

Edited by dogmad

I will respond to people with a mobile number, or a hotmail account - but I wont sell anyone without a landline a puppy, or a dog. Particularly not a rescue dog. Unless I know heaps about them.

I also receive email enquiries sent from mobile phones, and I can't reply via email. So they never get a response.

I have a standard response to all enquiries. I give basic information, prices etc. Don't ask them anything. I invite them to contact me again if they are interested. If they do, we go from there. Lots don't, but that's fair.

Those words are an attempt of power. They are rude and unnecessary reeking of small Willy Syndrome. As if a 'time waster' would identify that they are just that anyway? Probably stops decent people with decent questions from ringing, ultimately turning to a pet shop. They wont feel judged for asking the wrong questions there.

If registered breeders dont have the time for people, why bother? Maybe they should put a key selection criteria on their website as well to make prospective buyers even more intimidated.

Bring back people skills.

After far too many wasted hours I put the following on our website - it seems to be working with genuine enquiry's and dedicated breed people flowing through. I don't think its rude of me to say this - it allows me to develop quality relationships with the people who do want a dog from us and gives me alot more time to help them get ready for their big day (puppy coming home ;)). Also - I have never advertised any of our litters - all our puppy owners have come through our website.

Please understand that we do not breed for the 'puppy market' or for financial gain and as such do not have puppies available on a regular basis.

This means that we do unfortunately for you have a waiting list and this means you may have to wait for your choice of puppy. Currently we have 6 girls and 3 boys reserved from our next two litters.

It is your choice as to whether you are prepared to wait for one of our puppies or want to just take the first one that comes along.

If this is the case please don't waste yours or our time by enquiring about a puppy at this time.This page will be updated when we know what puppies we have available.

:rofl: How rude, maybe you could suggest other decent breeders in the area? Some people dont want to wait a year, nor should they feel gulity about wanting to get a puppy within a certain time period.

Hmm

After reading some of the things here I quite possibly could be considered a time waster, due to contacting people about breeds as I research and really scrutinize whether my life can accommodate the dog. This is because by the time I have considered things it is usually months down the track and I feel silly about going back and contacting the breeder again.

--Lhok

Edited by Lhok

This thread is actually freaking me out a lot. As most of you will have gathered, I have an "oodle" (toy poodle x maltese) bought via the internet from a "backyard breeder" I guess you'd say. He is the first dog I've ever had, I actually did quite a lot of research, based on my anectodotal knowledge of the "Moodle", understanding this was not a purebreed, but not knowing anything about purebred dogs, and having the impression of pure poodles as overly delicate, prissy, overly groomed difficult dogs.

I know now that the Poodle qualities of my poodle x dog are the things I love best. However, there are many things I love about him and I don't know what my next dog will be.

From reading this thread, had I enquired with many poodle breeders, or now with more knowledge about what I actually wanted in a dog, havanese, bichon frise, lagotto, lowchen etc...I would have been dismissed as a time waster! I rent my house, though I have permission for pets, I have no landline, I've never had a dog before, I work full time - but I have put huge effort into understanding my dog, priortising my puppy's needs, providing him the right environment, training, discipline, activity and fun. And he is a clever, confident, lovely dog.

My point is - if you want to make purebred dog ownership the ideal for the general public you have to accept the enquiries from the general public. Many of the members of the public (including me) will be ignorant. However, it's a fact that if the demands of the market at large are not met by purebred breeders, you have to accept that people will go to other sources, such as chain pet stores and bybs! And from the sound of this thread, I may not ever get a purebreed. I want another dog so what do I do?