Labradoodle Creator Regrets First Dog

Eileen

Plenty of errors in that report. :thumbsup:

Nice to see The Australian completely ignore the puppy farm issue and the fact that most of these DDs are F1s and most do shed.

The last breed to be developed and recognised here is the Tenterfield Terrier from memory. It wasn't that long ago either. Clearly they didnt' ask the right people.

THE man who bred the first labradoodle - and in the process made the mutt a desirable accessory - says it's the great regret of his life.

The coveted accessory has pushed out other breeds in terms of desirability.

See: Making oodles

Wally Conran, 81, coined the term labradoodle in 1988, when he was the manager of the puppy program at the Royal Institute of the Blind.

He received a letter from a woman in Hawaii who needed a seeing eye dog, but her husband had allergies. She wanted a dog that would not shed hair.

Mr Conran crossed two popular pedigree dogs: a labrador from breeding stock at the institute and a poodle owned by his boss to create the labradoodle.

The puppies were supposed to have the best traits of both dogs: the affable, controllable nature of the labrador, and the curly, non-shedding coat of the poodle.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

"But now when people ask me, `Did you breed the first one', I have to say, `Yes, I did, but it's not something I'm proud of'," Mr Conran said.

"I wish I could turn the clock back."

The labradoodle is now recognised as the first of the so-called "designer dogs", selling for more than $1000 a puppy. In essence, it is a mutt, or mongrel, yet it has raced ahead of pedigrees in terms of price and desirability.

Some pet shops report mongrels outselling pure-breds three to one, despite the high price of both.

As a result, labradoodles and their cutely named cousins -- spoodles, schnoodles, cavoodles, moodles, groodles and roodles -- are being pumped out across the nation, to meet demand

"I'm not at all proud of my involvement in it," Mr Conran said. "But the genie's out of the bottle, and you can't put it back."

His dismay isn't shared by breeders of the curly cross-breeds, who say they are merely meeting demand for a family-oriented, non-shedding dog of compact size, and happy temperament.

Nicolette Gallagos, of Australian Labradoodle Association, said: "Labradoodles are family-oriented dogs. They are perfect for families that want a dog that is good with children."

The association has set a breed standard for itself, and hopes the dog will soon be recognised as a breed by the Australian National Kennel Council.

The process may take 20 years. It has been so long since a new breed has been added to the Kennel Council's register that nobody can remember when it last happened.

Once recognised, the labradoodles will be able to enter shows, and win prizes.

The rise in popularity of the mutts angers pedigree breeders, who complain that cross-breeders are exploiting the fad for money, and forcing pedigree bitches to give birth to dozens of cross-bred pups every year.

I've met a few labradoodles and they are nice dogs but I know what he's talking about. Everytime I look in the paper or walk past a pet shop there is some new stupid name being pimped for what is essentially a BYB mongrel and I shudder to think what sort of conditions the breeding dogs are kept in.

Giving these puppies silly names encourages people to buy cross-bred pups from puppy farms which of course encourages more puppy farmers. Then a bunch of these dog owners simply dump them when things don't work out or if they see a more appealing cross-breed "name" and want that one instead. If they were just "poodle crosses" or whatever they wouldn't be as popular with the kind of people who buy things as a fad.

The stupidest one I've seen has got to be the "Shitzpoo" pups I saw in the paper recently - I mean REALLY!!!

I thought the article went pear-shaped after reporting that the labradoodle creator regretted what his action had set off. It just pointed to the torrent of 'oodle' types it had spawned. But no reasons were given WHY this was regretful. Just went on to get a quote from someone that seemed to support oodles. Oh, but they're so popular. The 50 million Frenchmen can't be wrong, argument.

Comments from representatives of purebred registry were not sought. There was also nothing in the article that picked up on the screaming headline on the front page that suggested big money might be being asked for the designer dogs. Nothing to challenge that as value for money.

Edited by mita

I thought the article went pear-shaped after reporting that the labradoodle creator regretted what his action had set off. It just pointed to the torrent of 'oodle' types it had spawned. But no reasons were given WHY this was regretful. Just went on to get a quote from someone that seemed to support oodles. Oh, but they're so popular. The 50 million Frenchmen can't be wrong, argument.

Comments from representatives of purebred registry were not sought. There was also nothing in the article that picked up on the screaming headline on the front page that suggested big money might be being asked for the designer dogs. Nothing to challenge that as value for money.

actually it was a short from a longer article in the weekend australian magazine. which did an ok job in trying to portray both sides, even if it wasn't always correct and some of the ppl were obviouslly mad (the woman breeding all crosses claiming that 'roodles' are fab because they don't eat children like rotties do?!)

and in the longer article they say they do shed, they say they're mad and exploted. but they also say something that is undeniably true, that predigree ppl feel threatened and that joe public want these dogs - once we teach ppl why they shouldn't want or buy these dogs then what we are actually threatened by (puppy farms and lies) will go away... one hopes

actually it was a short from a longer article in the weekend australian magazine. which did an ok job in trying to portray both sides, even if it wasn't always correct and some of the ppl were obviouslly mad (the woman breeding all crosses claiming that 'roodles' are fab because they don't eat children like rotties do?!)

Thanks for that, mackiemad. I was shown only the front section of The Australian by a neighbour. So I didn't see the further material in the magazine. All I can say is Thank god for that! Because the introductory bit, fell in a heap.

We don't get The Australian. It's too right wing for me.

Now to go & borrow the magazine from the neighbours. :laugh: ...and read the rest.

:laugh: What?! Rottie x poodle?! I'm too horrified to google.

The lady with the crossbreeds, who says Rotties eat children, should be introduced to the Pet Therapy Team from Dogs Victoria.

Rottweilers are among the members....& don't eat the elderly people or children visited.

Person who runs that team owns Rottweilers....& was the most articulate person I've heard, speaking about purebreds on Radio National.

http://www.dogsvictoria.org.au/Content.asp?ID=180

Edited by mita

:laugh: What?! Rottie x poodle?! I'm too horrified to google.

:cheers: I did google, and I'm regretting it now... :cheers:

:laugh: what a terribly inept piece of writing that is .

The organisation was NOt the Institute for the Blind,it was Royal Guide Dogs Ass'n. ConrAn should be ConRON , they are not 'seeing eye dogs', they are Guide Dogs... yipes!

I will definitely read the magazine article , have just bought my copy..... Hope it is of better quality than that snippet.

(and yes, I do know of what I speak :cheers: Wally was my boss at that time )

Now to go & borrow the magazine from the neighbours. :laugh: ...and read the rest.

If you click on "Making Oodles" on the original link, it takes you to the full article.

Or Making Oodles.

Sorry, I don't know how to copy the article here.

Interesting reading.

Thanks for that! The neighbours can be left in peace, now.

A great deal of space was given to the DD breeders to say their piece....well, I guess it would be so, because the article is about DDs.

But it swamps the points made by those who were speaking for purebreds.

Dr Peter Higgins, Dogs NSW, did well again....he was the best one on the ABC forum that followed the screening of the Pedigree Dogs Exposed program.

If only the points he made could have been spelled out further & examples given.

I wish there'd be another article about the world of purebred breeding....& the dogs...in their own right. Instead of being put up against DD breeding. Where the only things said about purebreds tend to be reactive.

Edited by mita

There is not really much point in pointing out all the errors, mistakes etc in this article in this DOL thread. I doubt that the editor of The Weekend Australian Magazine would even know of its existence. A better idea would be to send emails to The Weekend Australian Magazine "[email protected]"

There is not really much point in pointing out all the errors, mistakes etc in this article in this DOL thread. I doubt that the editor of The Weekend Australian Magazine would even know of its existence. A better idea would be to send emails to The Weekend Australian Magazine "[email protected]"

Yes...but you might be surprised. Comments made on DOL were referred to in the article. I do agree though, direct to the source is better.

Plenty of errors in that report. :)

Nice to see The Australian completely ignore the puppy farm issue and the fact that most of these DDs are F1s and most do shed.

The last breed to be developed and recognised here is the Tenterfield Terrier from memory. It wasn't that long ago either. Clearly they didnt' ask the right people.

Yep PF, it was in 2002.

I thought the article went pear-shaped after reporting that the labradoodle creator regretted what his action had set off. It just pointed to the torrent of 'oodle' types it had spawned. But no reasons were given WHY this was regretful.

That was exactly my thought, Mita, and was going to post it, but might as well quote you instead. Why didn't The Australian ask Mr. Conran WHY he regrets his decision/actions? What was The Australian actually seeking as the point of their story?

Edited by Erny

Well banging on about errors isn't really productive.

Overall this was well researched and well executed article for a very conservative newspaper/magazine that is read by thousands. Well done for the Australian in bringing this issue to light to the average Australian who has never once looked into the myths of the designer dog. They dedicated a great chunk of the magazine (4 pages from memory) to this story and was hardly a little mention in the back of style section - like Labradoodles often are.

Finally something that may make people sit up and take notice.

And if you don't think he was regretful then why not re-read it - I thought it clearly put his concerns about the creation of this blend of dogs wasn't ultimately successful and that it was more a PR/media practice in turning people into converts with the spin on the 'benefits' of these mixes.

If you want to be constructive then voice your views via feedback but at least say thanks to them for actually doing this article - who else in mainstream media has done this in the past few years?

The rise in popularity of the mutts angers pedigree breeders, who complain that cross-breeders are exploiting the fad for money, and forcing pedigree bitches to give birth to dozens of cross-bred pups every year.

Oh yeah, i'm sure the dogs really care that they are giving birth to 'cross-breds' i feel so sorry for the poor girls!

People like the breed, so what!

And not just because they are cute but are great family pets. Tho any dog can become a good family pet if it is raised right and has responsible owners...