Starting Work - How Can I Keep My Goldie Busy?

Snowball

HI

I am starting work soon part-time and need ideas for keeping a 8 month old goldie occupied. She will be in a secure run. I have purchased a Kong ( need to figure out how to use it properly), but what else will keep her stimulated. She loves to chew and will chew anything, (therefore the dog run :birthday: )

Any advice, hints, tips, ideas of what to buy and links would really help

:dancingelephant:

many thanks

Snowball

The important thing is getting her used to spending time on her own. You don't necessarily want her to be stimulated when she is in her run, but give her things to chew on if that is what she does. Ideally she will use that time to sleep while you are out.

You can get her used to it now by feeding her yummy bones in there at times she would normally rest. So she learns that going in there is worthwhile. Gradually increase the amount of time she spends in there until you can leave her in there for the amount of time you will be at work. You may find it is worth exercising her before going, so she wants to rest in her run.

excercising sounds great, but not practical with a 5 year old before school. My husband leaves very early for work, so we do our walks in the evenning (short distance because of her age and breed).

Some obedience sounds good - will do that, but any safe chew ideas would be good

She loves to chew!!

Snowball

excercising sounds great, but not practical with a 5 year old before school. My husband leaves very early for work, so we do our walks in the evenning (short distance because of her age and breed).

Some obedience sounds good - will do that, but any safe chew ideas would be good

She loves to chew!!

Snowball

I got my boy a Nyalabone the other day and he loves it, he chews it every chance he gets!

Snowball, I came home to a half chewed new credit card today so I'm interested in the answers here! :o

In Honey's "defence" she is not destructive but a mail eater, she likes to suck and chew paper like its chewing gum. :eek:

Unfortunately she is kept inside when we are at work and we have a mail slot in the front door. We have had to rig up a bag to catch mail - but the system failed today and the new credit card/letter fell on the floor :laugh: .). 6 bloody letters and it was the only one that fell out. Typical! :cry:

I have used Kongs and bones before and they are great, but considering we have Honey inside and I dont want raw meat smeared around the place- can anyone recommend toys that drop dry food or are fun?

To be honest, I have never found that strenuous morning exercise has made my dogs any less destructive when left alone for work hours.

Edited by ✽deelee

I must admit, I am starting to get more worried about leaving my dog at home for work, then my 5 year old for after school care - ( I dont know wether to laugh or cry about that one :cry::eek: )

OK, what sort of bones are safe to leave with a goldie (7 months ) all day? I will need the exact name to ask the butcher :o , at the moment she has chicken carcass daily and loves that, but that is gone in 10 min or so, so not exactly the chewing bone type.

I am getting a new doggy house for her (as per my other thread), and am half expecting it to be eaten by the time I get home from work. I am soooo scared she will start to whine and howl, as her fence line is near the neighbours house, I will warn them and tell them what is going on, but I dont want to become one of those annoying neighbours with a noise dog ..... oh dear, maybey I just need to stay home full time to look after my dog... hmmm, pity that doest pay the bills :laugh: :D

Snowball

Maybe, instead of keeping her stimulated- you do her LONG walk/obedience before you go - so she is more inclined to want to just rest ;)Kongs are useful ..

I can vouch for this :eek: Although a 30 minute walk is even enough to have my girl sleeping all day :cry: But if we are leaving her for 9hrs which is maybe one day a week I make sure I give her a brisk 30-40 minute walk, a good game of frisbee and we run in the backyard after the walk, she's usually POOPED after it!! Then she just sleeps/plays with her toys all days indoors (I keep her indoors cos she is more calm when kept indoors) and she's an angel :o

Marrow bones last AGES, they are a very hard bone but I dont see why a pup couldnt have them if their adult teeth are through

Re marrow bones: Is it true that too many marrow bones (too much marrow intake) can cause difficiencies or health problems in some dogs?? My mum knew a girl that fed her husky marrow bones every 1-2 days and he got an issue (not sure what!) and the vet said too much marrow

How does your dog act now in the run??

Seriously some dogs do fine with basic stimulation than going over the top.

At present i would be more inclined getting the dog use to the run during all time frames & weather conditions.

The more you make it often the more the dog come to expect there treats or start to feel insecure.

With Kongs & the likes be careful that any food put in there will not attract bees & ants.

Bones we never give unattended.

Our dogs only get objects that are safe ,that no tongues can get stuck in,will attract bugs or the likes.

hmmm, as much as I would love the morning walk and could do with the excercise, it just isnt going to happen with a 5 year old in tow, he is tired enough from normal school stuff without being dragged around the streets in the morning.

oh dear, I think I am getting a wee bit overwhelmed......

I have been steadily trying to build up the time she spends in the dog run and giving her her treats in there to get her used to it, but she had good sook (sp?) today when she was in there. Lucky she is soooo adorable, as dear me she is a bundle of hard work...

I have been steadily trying to build up the time she spends in the dog run and giving her her treats in there to get her used to it, but she had good sook (sp?) today when she was in there. Lucky she is soooo adorable, as dear me she is a bundle of hard work...

The main thing is to ignore the sooking, and only let her out of the run when she is quiet. You don't want her to think that making noise will cause you to come over and let her out.

Just start with small amounts of time, and build up each day slowly to the maximum time the dog will be left alone.

Some dogs react a lot worse than just sooking, so you are off to a good start if that is all she is doing.

Could you drive the dog to a park to exercise with a ball in the mornings? That might be a solution if your five year old is not up for a long walk.

All this is a bit of hard work, but your dog will get into a good routine if you persevere, and you will be pleased you put in the effort now.

Marrow bones last AGES, they are a very hard bone but I dont see why a pup couldnt have them if their adult teeth are through

Re marrow bones: Is it true that too many marrow bones (too much marrow intake) can cause difficiencies or health problems in some dogs?? My mum knew a girl that fed her husky marrow bones every 1-2 days and he got an issue (not sure what!) and the vet said too much marrow

I dont know, Ive never given them that frequently. Lately Ive only been giving my girls smaller lamb bones on occasion because I didnt want my pup to get the harder bones, her adult teeth are almost all the way through now so I think Ill give them bigger bones. Before I got my pup Tess would only get marrow bones every month or two, she would spend the first day eating the meat off etc and the bone itself would last weeks

Treat balls are great - we've got the normal ball type with the opening, and a 'bob a lot' which is also very popular. After recent destructive incidents, we also got her a Kong Time that dispenses 4 kongs over the space of 4 or 8 hours. She seems more hyped up when we get home though if we use that - probably because she sleeps all day normally once she eats her treats, but this keeps her amused the entire day (so be careful what you wish for!)

I wouldn't leave her alone with a bone, I'd rather be paranoid than get home one day to something gone wrong. (Have to say I'd heard bad things about kongs too, and tongues getting stuck, but can't see it happening for Gyps and the large kongs, her tongue isn't that thick)